Fuel system replacement - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2010, 05:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel system replacement

Hey guys, new to the forums here. Stumbled across them while doing some research on my 6.4. I'm hoping you can offer me some advice.
A little backstory:
I bought a used 2008 F250 a week ago. The test drive went well. I had a buddy of mine with me who has a 6.4 for an every day driver. Everything seemed to be working fine to the both of us. No check engine lights, ran good, sounded good. The guys at the car lot did tell me that they had to replace the fuel filters because they were filthy. I am wishing now I would have checked the filters after the test drive.
About 20 miles form the dealership, I noticed an extreme loss of power. I was close to home, and the dealership was already closed. I parked it at home for the night. I got up the next morning and drove it around the block a few times. Everything seemed to be working fine. No more power loss, but the check engine light was now on. I decided to drop it by the local ford dealer to see what was going on. They called me back with a hefty price of almost $12k to replace the entire fuel system. Apparently the fuel pump let go and there are now peices of metal throughout the entire fuel system.

I have explained the situation to the lot that sold me the truck, and they seem completely unwilling to help. I find it hard to believe that they didn't know about this when they sold me the truck, but my hands are pretty much tied from what I can tell. I feel like a fool for not getting the truck inspected pryor to my purchase. Live and learn I guess. Just wish I could have learned this lesson when $12k wasn't on the line.

My questions are: Do I have any options outside of replacing the entire fuel system? Such as replacing damaged components, and then flushing the system somehow of the metal debri?
Does 12k sound a little extreme for an entire fuel system replacement, or is that about right?

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2010, 07:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sear View Post
I have explained the situation to the lot that sold me the truck, and they seem completely unwilling to help. I find it hard to believe that they didn't know about this when they sold me the truck, but my hands are pretty much tied from what I can tell.
what is a "lot that sold me the truck"???????

if its a dealership than they are liable for the repairs since (from your statement) that it was only a day or so when the problems developed.

if you bought the truck from a used car place, i believe that they are still liable but it will be harder to get the money for the repairs.

i hope you didn`t but it from some dude`s back yard because you`ll need to get a lawyer to take em to court.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptain howdie View Post
what is a "lot that sold me the truck"???????
Sorry, I worded that poorly. What i meant was the "used car lot that sold me the truck".
So far the used car lot won't return my calls. They responded to an email, but made it clear they weren't going to help with the repairs. I plan on going up there and trying to talk to them in person. In the meantime I was just trying to get some information on what I could realistically expect to pay for a repair of this nature. I don't trust the quote from the dealership.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:36 AM
I wanna go fast!!!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
PM Rudys diesel, they know the 6.4 pretty dang well. I'm sure they will give you the info you need.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

12k is plenty high. I think the last one I did was 9-10k.

How many miles are on the truck? Ford will cover this repair on most truck with under 100,000 miles some they don't because the only cause of this is really bad fuel.

And yes you need to replace the High Pressure pump, the fuel rails,and all 8 injectors. The tank needs to be dropped and cleaned and all the lines need to be flushed.

Where are you located?
Old 06-18-2010, 10:05 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Did one a while back, it was $13k but that is Canadian pricing and our parts pricing is substantially higher than US pricing.

I would say anywhere between 9 and 12 would be a reasonable expectation (USD)

FWIW, from what I have seen, a lot of the performance parts are comparable in price to the Ford stuff.

Also -- you may try putting this through your insurance. Last one I did went through insurance. The deductible was obscene though.

There's more to it than the parts the poster above me listed. I have the complete list at work, I will post it tomorrow. (at least according to the tech service hotline, there's more)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.