2008 6.4L engine failure - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2010, 07:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2008 6.4L engine failure

Let me start off by saying I am new to this forum and have little to no mechanical knowledge of engines. I have a 2008 f-250 4x4 crew cab 4door with the 6.4L. Bought it new in '07. It currently has 110K miles on it. I have never had any trouble at all with this engine, until now, and have always done required maintainence.

I was driving 60mph on the highway and the truck started vibrating and running rough. At first, it felt like the rear end. When I pulled over and put it in park, I realized it was the engine. Thinking it was a sensor or something that went bad, I limped it to the nearest ford dealer for a look. When it was plugged up, it showed no compression in 1,2, and 5. They told me there it would need a short block...$9000 at the ford dealer. I had the truck towed to my local deisel mechanic and he initially said the same thing. However, after tearing into it, he realized a rocker arm had come apart... which it is my understanding this will cause the cylinders to show the compression readings I was given.

This mechanic told me he thought he could fix it. He replaced the entire rocker arm assembly, as he said the other rocker arms looked worn and while he was in there they should be replaced. I agreed. After this work was complete, he started the truck. It ran just fine...but now there is a lifter knocking bad. Now he is telling me the same as in the beginning...although he recommends a complete swap since it will cost about the same if I buy a used engine. I found one with 8k miles on it for $6750 w/ a 12mo warranty. So...now I owe him $3k for the new rocker arm assembly and a new engine. I have contacted ford about assistance with this and was denied. I am numb. Who has $10k just laying around for this? Not sure what to do..... any ideas? All help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2010, 04:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

What is the engine warranty on these trucks?
Old 05-24-2010, 04:19 PM
Banned

the engine warranty on these trucks im sure are like the other big 2, they void warranty when they want for very dumb reasons
Old 05-24-2010, 04:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by topnotch286 View Post
Let me start off by saying I am new to this forum and have little to no mechanical knowledge of engines. I have a 2008 f-250 4x4 crew cab 4door with the 6.4L. Bought it new in '07. It currently has 110K miles on it. I have never had any trouble at all with this engine, until now, and have always done required maintainence.

I was driving 60mph on the highway and the truck started vibrating and running rough. At first, it felt like the rear end. When I pulled over and put it in park, I realized it was the engine. Thinking it was a sensor or something that went bad, I limped it to the nearest ford dealer for a look. When it was plugged up, it showed no compression in 1,2, and 5. They told me there it would need a short block...$9000 at the ford dealer. I had the truck towed to my local deisel mechanic and he initially said the same thing. However, after tearing into it, he realized a rocker arm had come apart... which it is my understanding this will cause the cylinders to show the compression readings I was given.

This mechanic told me he thought he could fix it. He replaced the entire rocker arm assembly, as he said the other rocker arms looked worn and while he was in there they should be replaced. I agreed. After this work was complete, he started the truck. It ran just fine...but now there is a lifter knocking bad. Now he is telling me the same as in the beginning...although he recommends a complete swap since it will cost about the same if I buy a used engine. I found one with 8k miles on it for $6750 w/ a 12mo warranty. So...now I owe him $3k for the new rocker arm assembly and a new engine. I have contacted ford about assistance with this and was denied. I am numb. Who has $10k just laying around for this? Not sure what to do..... any ideas? All help is appreciated.
thats just to bad... 10k miles after warranty is up too... its like they plan it that way
Old 05-24-2010, 04:50 PM
Premium Member

This is a scarry situation. I bought the extended warranty with my truck and Ford is suppose to fix anything that goes wrong for 6 years or 175,000 miles. As much as you pay for these trucks, Ford should stand behind them if it is just 10,000 miles out of warranty. There should be some sort of plus or minus in this situation. I have never bought any vehicle but a Ford but I believe if they didn't fix it, I would buy a Dodge(shutter the thought) next time.
RJS
Old 08-16-2011, 01:20 PM

If you own a 2008 6.4 you should be scared ..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.