'08 with an intermittant engine power/surge issue - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2010, 03:11 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'08 with an intermittant engine power/surge issue

I've got an '08 with an intermittant engine power/surge issue. The truck is a CC SB auto with the 6.4. It's been to the Ford at least 3 times for the same problem but the truck doesn't throw any codes for the mechanic to troubleshoot with. Basically the truck runs pretty good but on a frequent occasion is starts to surge and lose power. As an example, you may be at 65mph when it does this and you maintain speed but have no extra power and can't accelerate. The truck surges when you put the pedal down. From time to time when I start the truck to leave the house or a store or something the truck will stall and die but start back up and run tip top. Anybody have this issue or something similar that I can bring to the mechanic. Camping season is just about to start up here in AK and I use this truck normally to pull my 5th wheel. I'd like to have it ready for the season.

Thanks,

Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2010, 03:43 PM

I just had my '10 do that yesterday. I thought it was the regeneration or whatever when the DPF cleans itself. I've never had it die on me though, that's definitely not normal. I only have about 1400 miles on it so far, so I'm still getting used to it.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

when was the last time fuel filter was changed?
Old 05-15-2010, 04:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to Jonboywv12
fuel filter sounds like it, or you got some bad diesel in there and it got through ur bad filter and went right to your injectors.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:11 AM

Truck has 16k on the odometer and the filters were changed at 10k. I drain the seperator fairly regularly but never really see any water. Not sure what it is. The thing runs great 98 percent of the time. It was in the shop last week and the mechanic put a data logger on it. Its acted up 5 or 6 times since the data logger was installed. It'll go back to the dealer on Monday to see if the mechanic can use the data to repair. I'll post the findings.

cwh
Old 05-15-2010, 07:20 PM

I have had many times that I had codes in the computer but nothing active at the time the truck was looked at. I recently was getting a p120f code which was an erratic fuel pressure every time I drove the truck, I drained the separator and for the first time I got water out. changed the filter at 5000 miles and I don't have the code popping up anymore. I was surprised at how dirty the filter was at 5k. It did not look that dirty until I cut the outer water membrane off and viewed the filter through the light, only could see light through about 4 or 5 pleates. I always use the KISS (Keep IT Simple Stupid) rule to start with, So the filter is worth a try. Ford won't pay unless it is a hard code and obviously they can't find it.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:51 PM

Yeah, swapping the fuel filters out a little early can't hurt. It goes in the shop Monday and I'll have them change the filters out. Not sure why the truck isn't throwing any codes at all.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to Jonboywv12
well if its something as simple as the fuel filter i doubt it would throw a code...
Old 05-20-2010, 01:02 AM

Just an update. Swapped in new fuel filters and the truck has been running like a top. I havn't had an issue for the last 3 days. Cut the old primary filter apart and disected it. Pretty nasty. I'll have to start being particular about who and where I buy my diesel from. Also these fuel filters only had 7K on them. I'll probably start changing them out at 5K.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:59 PM

Truck started surging again so we sent it back to the dealer. Dealer finally had some data to work off of. The Ford engineer is having the mechanic replace the HPFP. Hopefully this will do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.