water seperator light stays on, green algae??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2010, 07:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
water seperator light stays on, green algae???

I can't find anyone else with an algae problem. Have you heard of this? How can I be the only one? Any insight on it being something else?

I only have 10,000 miles on my F350 6.4L 2008 truck. The drain water seperator light came on, the dealership changed the fuel filters and drained the water seperator. Light still coming on. They thought it might be the sensor but that seems ok.

Now they say the truck has bad gas with algae (seeing green stuff) that is clogging the water seperator causing the light to come on. And it will not be covered under warrenty.

PS
THis Fuel Coagulation article is what I thought might be happening:
Diesel Technician Society
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2010, 08:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I had a problem with algae in bulk fuel I was buying in the late 80's early 90's. At the time a 5 micron filter was all you could get and the algae went right thru it and destroyed the pump. I quit buying bulk fuel after that. Haven't heard of the problem in quite a while tho.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had that a couple of years ago when I purchased fuel from a not so used filling station. They let their tank get run way down and I pumped all that gunk into my tank.

Any way, they had to drop the tank and clean the lines to get it all. Then I used a biocide for a few tanks to be sure and knock everything. The final bill was a couple grand. If you feel this is from a recent purchase, contact the place you got it from immediately. They can check their tanks and hopefully they can avoid selling to anyone else. The place I got it from had insurance which then covered the cost of everything.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by poashll View Post
I had that a couple of years ago when I purchased fuel from a not so used filling station. They let their tank get run way down and I pumped all that gunk into my tank.

Any way, they had to drop the tank and clean the lines to get it all. Then I used a biocide for a few tanks to be sure and knock everything. The final bill was a couple grand. If you feel this is from a recent purchase, contact the place you got it from immediately. They can check their tanks and hopefully they can avoid selling to anyone else. The place I got it from had insurance which then covered the cost of everything.
as i read more and more of these threads this "dirty diesel" issue seems to becoming very trendy with ford. these filling stations pump diesel in numerous trucks besides 6.4`s and i`m curious how many others are having the same problems.

if a holding tank had contaminated fuel to the extent of what i have been reading, algae, bacteria, water etc i`m sure everyone in the local area that frequented the station would be affected as well

if i were to classify myself as a "conspiracy theorist" or a "fox mulder", i would say the disciples of Mr Henry himself are finding an out of warranty claims. How easy would it be for a dealer to spoil a sample of fuel or contaminate a tank in order to void a warranty?

very easily!

we need to practice diligence in dealing with these claims and not to be so trusting of these dealerships.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Should have clarified, that was last year in my previous Duramax. IT WAS NASTY GREEN SLIME in the fuel. The sample from my fuel tank looked closer to stagnant pond water.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

if there was that much contaminants in that batch of fuel, there would be others that would suffer the same effects and the station would be red flagged or at least investigated.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

This was not a fuel station that just anyone used. Primarily it is a repair shop and they have pumps on site for some corporate customers. They issue cards and you pull in, swipe, fill, and they bill your business. Consiquently, they no longer carry gas or diesel on site.

I think it ended up being a garbage truck and myself. The garbage truck filled before me and must have just started sucking it in because they drained the fuel and it wasn't nearly as nasty as my tank. They replaced the filter, added biocide to a fresh tank of fuel, and called it good.

My truck started bogging down in about 10 miles. I pulled the filter when I got home and could see it was filthy. The next filter lasted about 2 miles. We called the place and they shut down the pump. They dipped the underground tank the next morning, I had filled after hours, and confirmed there was about 8" left in the tank and the top 6" was this nasty stuff. After that experience, I only buy for my truck at truck stops or places where I know others fill with diesel regularly.

Last edited by poashll; 04-27-2010 at 10:16 AM.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OP, have them replace the HFCM (low pressure fuel pump), remove the fuel tank, completley drain it, wipe it clean, add biocide to the fuel tank, fill with fresh diesel, bleed fresh fuel through system using the high pressure fuel bleed tool.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
PS
THis Fuel Coagulation article is what I thought might be happening:
Diesel Technician Society
Interesting article. Looks like it would be an easy (and inexpensive) thing to check for. Other than the light, how is the truck running?
Old 04-29-2010, 07:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by haccpguy View Post
Interesting article. Looks like it would be an easy (and inexpensive) thing to check for. Other than the light, how is the truck running?
i would believe that kind of build up would be from someone that did not drain their separator on a regular basis.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.