Still having TPMS trouble - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2010, 10:26 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Still having TPMS trouble

So I'm still trying to figure out my TPMS problem. My 2010 has the sensors on the valve stems, not the band and sensor around the rim.

Here's what I've tried today:

This handy dandy tool is supposed to check the sensors, and trigger them to transmit if the truck is put into learn mode. I have a new sensor that I got from Ford and when I get anywhere near it with the tool it picks it up fine. However, on ALL 4 wheels the tool isn't picking the sensors up.

What is the likelyhood that all 4 of my sensors are bad? Or could the problem be that they won't transmit thru the Toyo tires? I don't think that is the case though because on the first F250 I had these tires on it, and the same valve stems/sensors, just different wheels, and the TPMS system worked fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2010, 04:55 PM

My TPMS light came on within the first 100 miles. Brand new truck with stock tires. Pressure was 75 all the way around, but the light stayed on. When I disconnected the battery to put my CAI on, it went out. I'm sure you've probably tried that, but if not, it's worth a try. Only problem is re programming the radio again
Old 04-18-2010, 07:38 PM

Already tried that... When I was installing my CAI that I took right back off and sent back to exchange for a different kind.. Didn't do a thing. I scanned the system and I have 2 fault codes, not just for low pressure so it's not recognizing the sensors at all.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:54 PM

Ive got the same tool ,it works fine on somethings and it sucks on others ! The another way to do it but you have to have a IDS Ford scanner !
Old 04-21-2010, 07:59 PM

By the way I was just looking at you pic ! Are those new wheels ? If so the vavle stem in youre pick isnt a TPMS vavle stem ,or is it the band type ! If its not the band type then will have to install the TPS monitors in your wheels ! Ive senn that happin tomany times ,someone buys new wheels and complains of Low tire pressure light !
Old 04-23-2010, 05:40 PM

It's a TPMS valve stem. I had to buy new replacement stem portions that screw onto the sensor for all 4 of them when he switched the sensors from the Mazzi wheels to the BMF wheels. The sensors are in there, just the Smart Junction Box and the green TPMS tool are not picking them up. I've got one new sensor here on the table, and 2 more in the mail I picked up on ebay new in the box for $25 each. We will see what happens.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:52 PM
Premium Member

Dumb question but have you done the "reset" on the truck's TPMS. I know how to do it on 08 and 09 but the 10 has a different way of putting it into "learn" mode. On mine, I had to do a sequence of key on, brake pedal things and the dash display will go into what the call "learn". It is built into all the trucks but really only necessary when you switch sensors out or for when you rotate tires on a truck that specifies different PSI's for front and rear. Once you go into learn mode, it'll display "Learn Left Front", so you go out with your sensor activation tool and get the sensor to come out of sleep mode on the left front. I think it goes around clockwise around the truck. Anyway, look it up in your manual under Tires and Maintenance. Hope that helps. When I switched stock wheels and tires to another set of stock wheels and tires with different TPM sensors that's what fixed it.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:17 PM

Thats what they did with mine today. key on and off a few times and then teh brake pedal. it honks then says train front left and then works its way around.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:19 AM

Yes I'm trying to do the training but it's not picking up the sensors. Have tried it with the tool and the other way that the owners manual says to let the air out of the tires till the horn honks. Neither way is working.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:10 AM

could it be the front left which is where you start is bad? the guy at discount tried to start at the back left and the tool said it activated but the truck didnt give 2 ****s until he went to the front left.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.