Fuel Filter on Frame. How do you change it without getting a bath in diesel? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2010, 08:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry Fuel Filter on Frame. How do you change it without getting a bath in diesel?

Who ever designed the fuel filter system that put the primary fuel filter and drain valve under the truck should be drug into the street and whipped. How are you supposed to maintain the fuel system(ie drain water and sediment) when you have to crawl around on the floor to drain it?
What if you had a fueling problem out on a dirt road? and its raining/snowing?
What a POS design.

On our 08 Cab and chassis at work, it is nearly impossible to change it.
the filter housing is sandwiched between the frame and transfer case and driveshaft, and the transmission cross member, plus the brake line and the wiring harness.

When i try to drain the fuel, it wont stop draining. so when I remove the filter it just keeps pouring out. So i lose about 2 gallons when changing filter, plus I get diesel up to my armpit trying to get old one out and new one in. So now I get the pinch off pliers and pinch off the rubber line back at the tank to stop the fuel.

even when removing the brake line and tryin to push the wiring harness out of the way, I have to individually put the filter in first, then the cap. Good luck keeping dirt out while scraping the parts agains drive shaft and other crap in the way.

We have several of these 08 6.4 and they all are a PITA, when it comes to changing that filter. We have Dodge and chevy diesels, they are far easier to service.

SO now that i'm done ranting and throwing tools, are there some tricks to changing this filter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2010, 10:10 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
It's the only way. Eventually you will get better and will be able to better anticipate the diesel bath.

Sorry it isn't the answer you want to hear, but there are worse things in life...
Old 02-26-2010, 01:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

IT CANNOT BE DONE!!!

just kidding- there are ways to limit the amount of diesel that you have readily available to bathe in.
1.) Dont take the filter change on unless you have under 1/4 tank of fuel. I usually run mine until the low fuel warning comes up. This will help eliminate the siphon effect that continually dumps fuel on you
2.) get about 10 inches of extensions and two seperate drain pans, or the biggest rubbermaid bin you can find and put it under the filter housing. break the filter cap loose very very slowly. Diesel will start to pour out, but if you do this slowly you can control the waterfall somewhat and direct it towards your catch pans. continue to turn the cap loose slowly as the flow starts to taper off.when you finally take the cap off you will get the last little bit of flow, but the amount will be significantly less if you take your time. As I break the filter cap loose i sit on the floor almost at the tail end of the transmission as far away from this thing as i can get.the multiple drain pan strategy is minimize the amount of diesel you end up having to sit in as you wrestle the new filter back in the housing.

Last edited by DeuceFifty; 02-26-2010 at 01:16 PM. Reason: *bathe
Old 02-26-2010, 06:16 PM

A short stubby socket and air ratchet. A hoist also makes it a lot easier.

Now you now why your dealer charges 1/2 hour to change them.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

To insure you do not get a diesel bath - have someone else do it for you.

seriously - eventually you'll get better at it.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I can get the cap off, but to get it out, that is the hard part. There is so much crap in the way. Ive done about a 10 changes and the only thing that is easier is what to expect. A diesel shower and a lot of cussing.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have found if you park your truck on an incline towards the front the diesel will run towards the front of the truck and not completley on you. I back my truck in the driveway and change it. You still get a little on you, but not completly saturated if you are not on an incline. It still sucks.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:26 PM

my truck stayed in the shop for 3 months because the sorry tech didnt want to change my fuel filter. he replace my HPFP but it did not fix it. I know it sucks though
Old 03-12-2010, 09:02 AM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sce02 View Post
I have found if you park your truck on an incline towards the front the diesel will run towards the front of the truck and not completley on you. I back my truck in the driveway and change it. You still get a little on you, but not completly saturated if you are not on an incline. It still sucks.
I just did mine, last week. I not only put the nose uphill, I also ran the front of the truck up on ramps. The only diesel I got on me was on my hands! Just make sure you chock the rear wheels and set the parking brake.
Old 03-14-2010, 02:17 PM

I have changed quite a few at work and the trick is don't hold your arm under the filter or cap. You have to reach over the top of something(cant remember because it's been a while), but by having your arm above or same level as the cap and filter it won't run down your arm into your armpit. I still remember when the 6.0 came out and the first one I changed, it a a nightmare. I had fuel all over me and it made for a miserable day at work but the next time I did it without getting any on me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.