2008 F-250/Loud Rumble When I Let Off The Gas - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2010, 11:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2008 F-250/Loud Rumble When I Let Off The Gas

Hi everyone. Thanks in advance for your help. I bought my first diesel - a 2008 F-250 6.4 PSD a week ago. It is completely stock - including the tire sizes.

I drove it home from where I bought it, covering nearly 1000 miles, and it performed flawlessly - other than the "Drain Fuel Seperator" light coming on. I took it to my local Ford dealership. They told me that "only a bit of crud" came out, and that they would have to replace the whole seperator. They had to order the part. No biggie.

BUT HERE IS THE PROBLEM. Yesterday, I was running errands, driving on a level, paved road @40 MPH. I let my foot off the gas, and I heard a loud sound - sort of like a scraping/grinding noise coming from the front passenger side. The noise went away when I stepped on the accelerator again, but it came right back when I laid off the fuel. I looked in the wheel well and under the truck for foreign objects, but found nothing. Any thoughts? Thanks, Paul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2010, 01:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

how many miles on it? and how long has it been sitting on the lot before you bought it do you think?

there were issues of moisture building up in the turbo and causing it to rust. Im no mechanic, but im sure someone here can help you out.
here's a
Old 01-21-2010, 02:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to younggun55
It was probably just a turbo fart...excess air coming back out of your turbo and makes a gurgling sound
Old 01-25-2010, 01:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrookEastFBCoach View Post
Hi everyone. Thanks in advance for your help. I bought my first diesel - a 2008 F-250 6.4 PSD a week ago. It is completely stock - including the tire sizes.

I drove it home from where I bought it, covering nearly 1000 miles, and it performed flawlessly - other than the "Drain Fuel Seperator" light coming on. I took it to my local Ford dealership. They told me that "only a bit of crud" came out, and that they would have to replace the whole seperator. They had to order the part. No biggie.

BUT HERE IS THE PROBLEM. Yesterday, I was running errands, driving on a level, paved road @40 MPH. I let my foot off the gas, and I heard a loud sound - sort of like a scraping/grinding noise coming from the front passenger side. The noise went away when I stepped on the accelerator again, but it came right back when I laid off the fuel. I looked in the wheel well and under the truck for foreign objects, but found nothing. Any thoughts? Thanks, Paul

Does this '08 have the newer computer program update? Have you seen the "Cleaning Exhaust Filter" message? You will only see the message if you have the newer computer update, otherwise you will get no notification that you are in regen mode (besides less power and strange sounds).

My truck makes a ridiculous gurgling sound if I'm in REGEN mode and let off the accelerator abruptly. This is especially noticeable if a wall or building is to the right right of your truck, as the sounds from the tailpipe bounce off the wall making them pretty loud if you have your windows down.

Mine is not a metal on metal grinding sound, and from what I've read it's normal. Does yours continue to do this today?
Old 01-28-2010, 01:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had a smililar issue come up last summer on vacation. When coming down a steep incline with my 5th wheel on the back, in tow mode: It sounded like you had a shop vac, holding it close to your hand. A very loud sucking sound. It would also do it if I had to get into the throttel hard, like when pulling up a steep grade.

I took it in, and it turned out to be a hole in the turbo intake. They fixed it under warranty, no more problems....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.