2008 F-250/Loud Rumble When I Let Off The Gas - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2010, 12:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2008 F-250/Loud Rumble When I Let Off The Gas

Hi everyone. Thanks in advance for your help. I bought my first diesel - a 2008 F-250 6.4 PSD a week ago. It is completely stock - including the tire sizes.

I drove it home from where I bought it, covering nearly 1000 miles, and it performed flawlessly - other than the "Drain Fuel Seperator" light coming on. I took it to my local Ford dealership. They told me that "only a bit of crud" came out, and that they would have to replace the whole seperator. They had to order the part. No biggie.

BUT HERE IS THE PROBLEM. Yesterday, I was running errands, driving on a level, paved road @40 MPH. I let my foot off the gas, and I heard a loud sound - sort of like a scraping/grinding noise coming from the front passenger side. The noise went away when I stepped on the accelerator again, but it came right back when I laid off the fuel. I looked in the wheel well and under the truck for foreign objects, but found nothing. Any thoughts? Thanks, Paul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2010, 12:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Where you accelerating pretty hard before letting off? And how long does it last?
Old 01-17-2010, 12:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for your reply Benjamin.... I was accelerating normally. The sound lasts as long as my foot is off the gas. When I step on the gas, the noise goes away. The faster I'm going, the louder the noise. As I slow down, the quieter it gets.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:09 PM

my first thought was turbo fart. but its hard to hear on a stock truck and if its doing it the entire time thats not it. I'd definately take it in to the dealer for a check. As for the water seperator, they had to order a filter? Or are they saying the assembly is bad? When you buy fuel filters, it comes with 2 filters one goes under the hood and one goes in the fuel/water seperator. Just telling you this to ensure your dealer doesn't take you for a ride. If you climb under your truck on the drivers side on the frame rail you will see an inline filter with a yellow lever that you can open and drain water from that filter. This is something that should be done every few tanks or so. You don't have to drain alot, but do it in a clean clear bottle and you can see if you have water in your fuel. Fuel filters should be changed at least every 15k miles or sooner depending on how bad your fuel is. Look in the 6.4 general thread and you'll see a post today where I explained how to change fuel filters. should save you a few bucks as the filters alone run $45 bucks or so. Welcome to the org. Its a good place to learn. maybe one of the techs will log on and help with the noise problem soon.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Because only "gunk" came out when they tried to drain it, the dealer told me that I needed a whole new Water Seperator unit @ $475.00 installed. I've been reading in the forums here, and they say that some compressed air shot in the drain tube should loosen things up, and cause the liquid to flow out. I'm going to try a new filter, and the compressed air first. So I'm looking forward to reading your column about changing fuel filters. As for the noise? Off to the dealer I go... I'll be sure to have the 55 gallon drum of Vaseline ready. Thanks, Paul
Old 01-17-2010, 02:16 PM

if they trying to charge you the $475 i'm assuming you have no warranty left. I would get some motorcraft or racor fuel filters and change those first. While the bottom filter is out, I'd take the air to it and blow out the drain valve as well as possible while its open. Next i'd find a new dealer. Where are you located?
Old 01-17-2010, 02:18 PM

I"m wondering now (I'm by far no expert) if the noise could be fuel related. Possibly the fuel pump starving for fuel when you take your foot off the pedal. I'd definately get those fuel filters changed and see what happens.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes... the truck has 49,000 on it - out of warranty. I'm in Menomonee Falls, WI. Until now, I've always been a GM guy. My local Chevy dealer was modern, had great service and amenities, and did top notch work - until recently.

Recently they gave me a hassle about covering a differential problem which was clearly under warranty, (they said that the differential was not part of the drivetrain.. HUH???)so that made me believe the hype about "Government Motors" trying to limit their warrenty exposure by screwing the masses. (I had a previous issue, which they covered with no problem) So, I rolled Ford, and will do so with the other four vehicles in my family in the next couple years or so.

I went to the Ford dealer in nearby Brookfield, WI - Sorens Ford. I have to admit that it did have a slimy feel about it..... Maybe it was the miss-matched 1950's era furniture they had in their customer lounge era. Maybe it was the 6 ounce cups which they filled with the worst coffee I've ever had? Maybe it was that the service guy (or someone else at the tiny desk area) smelled like booze? Either way, I don't think I'll be back.

We have a local Ford dealer in Menomonee Falls (Boucher) but it too is old and dumpy, and probably sold Model T's at one time. We really don't have a modern, updated Ford dealer in the Milwaukee Metro area - that I can think of. I know that that doesn't always indicate shoddy work.. But would you buy a Mutual fund from a guy in jeans and a torn T-Shirt? If anyone else knows of a good dealer, I'm open to suggestions.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:23 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Is the truck in 4x4?

IS the hub in "LOCK" instead of "AUTO"?
Old 01-17-2010, 05:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hi AHB,

Thanks for replying, and thanks for your questions. The shift on the fly dial is on 2 wheel drive. I checked the hubs and they aren't on lock. Just to be sure, I drove it and shifted the dial to 4 wheel high, and it engaged. Then, I went back to 2 wheel drive again. The noise continued. It's the damned'st thing.

If I had to choose a noise that I've heard before, to compare this sound to... I'd say that it sounds as if the brake pads are gone, and the rivets are grinding into the rotor. It's not that though. The brake pads are almost new, the rotors are clean, and the brakes are functioning properly. It's just thats what it sounds like.

I can't seem to hear the noise at idle. I also can't hear it when I rev the engine while stopped or in park. All the fluids are where they are supposed to be, and appear in good order.

I have no clue. Thanks again!!! Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.