Bucking and Hesitation after Regen - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2010, 09:27 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bucking and Hesitation after Regen

Have an '08 F250FX4 6.4L...........after the truck finishes the "Regen" process, was wondering why the truck sometimes stumbles/hesitates for a few seconds, as if it suddenly feels like I'm towing something, then clears up and acts normal. I've noticed during the regen, the boost level is lower than when not in "Regen" mode, then when the "Regen" completes, it feels like it loses power then clears up.
This condition only happens randomly, ever since I've owned the truck brand new, sometimes I will not notice the "Regen" cycle has completed, whether under boost or not. No check engine lights and no codes. When I spoke with the Ford Diesel Tech, he stated he has not heard of this problem yet, but would research it.
The truck is completely stock, and as of yesterday (9 Jan '10), has the latest "Flash" and during the 140 mile trip back to the house, felt the truck do it again, but this time, I did not see the "Cleaning Exhaust Filter" on the cluster.
Any insight is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Will
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2010, 03:42 PM

any thoughts? just curious if this is a normal "random" characteristic after the "Regen" process.

Thanks,
Will

Last edited by My08F250FX4; 01-10-2010 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:46 AM

any thoughts yet
Old 01-17-2010, 04:17 PM
Powerstroke Techie

How long does it last for?
Old 01-17-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Angry Hillbilly View Post
How long does it last for?
Sorry this is so long Brotha, I was a little more descript with the symptoms this time..............

Very brief when the truck does it, maybe 3-5 seconds(if that long), very noticeable though, not violent, but noticeable, then it clears up like nothing is wrong.

When the truck is in "Regen", at a steady speed on level road, I notice the Boost Gauge drop to almost 0(zero) unless I give it gas or start up a hill, so I'm wondering if something may be getting stuck when the truck tries to come out of "Regen", because when it does come out of "Regen", the Boost Gauge jumps right back up to about 9psi after the truck clears up, or the gauge will jump back up immediately if it doesn't hesitate.
Either way, I've felt the truck do it whether on level ground, going up a hill, or coming down a hill.

Sometimes the truck will not do it at all when it comes out of "Regen"

The condition is very random, and does not happen that often and I would not be able to duplicate the issue if I had too. Vehicle speed doesn't seem to matter, I've felt the truck do it when running 55 through 75mph.

The truck only has 16,500 miles on it, I don't have a mileage average for how often it goes into "Regen", but I recently drove to St. Louis and back, roughly 3,500 mile total for the trip, and the truck Regen'd 5 times, and 2 of those 5, I felt the truck hesitate when it came out of "Regen"

As far as fuel quality goes, I like to think I'm putting in the best fuel around, which in the case of living down here(Key West), I get my fuel from the Naval Air Station, since the base has a high volume of diesel vehicles, and when I travel, I do my best to get fuel from truck stops I.E. "Loves" or "Flying-J".
I use "Power Services" Cetane Boost on a regular basis, not sure if that would have anything to do with it

Climate conditions for the most part is high humidity down here, unless I travel north to the mainland, where the humidity drops a bit.

The only recalls that have been done on the truck is the injector recall, and the CAC replacement, however no difference in the truck with these two changes.

Sorry this is so long Brotha, and I greatly appreciate your help with this, I'm just trying to anticipate everything you may want to know about the truck.

Thanks Again!!!!!!!!!!!!
Will
Old 01-17-2010, 06:45 PM
Powerstroke Techie

My truck seems to do the same thing...

I will take a closer note of it's habits when it comes out of regen next. I'm just about due, should know in a day or so.

Does it have the latest calibration in it?
Old 01-17-2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Angry Hillbilly View Post
My truck seems to do the same thing...

I will take a closer note of it's habits when it comes out of regen next. I'm just about due, should know in a day or so.

Does it have the latest calibration in it?
I'm at a loss for words on that one, not sure what you mean by "Calibration", if you mean the latest "Flash", then I would have to say yes, or so the Tech at the dealer I go to told me.
Is there a difference between "Calibration" and "Flash" ? Forgive my lack of knowledge and terminology, still learning.
Will
Old 01-21-2010, 07:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

mine was doing sorta the same thing and crop dusting , dealer reflashed the pcm, yesterday we will see what happens.. im gonna fix the whole dpf thing in a few weeks with a delete and spartan .. im sick of the whole dpf function.. imo its a bad design
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.