Tranny Limp-home - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2009, 05:44 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tranny Limp-home

Hey guys I dunno if i'm plaqued with problems or is it just the cold weather. Well last week it was -18 and my EGR failed and it was stuck open. Just got my truck back yesterday and was running fine.
Today I had to run into town to grab something and the weather is -31 C. Truck warmed up fine ran fine, but a mile from home I turned a corner and then it went into limp home and the tranny temp went to 0. I pulled it up to the garage and put it in reverse then back to drive and it went away and temperature came back up. No CEL or anything.
Do you guys think its just weather related?

Last edited by jberzerker; 12-12-2009 at 05:48 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2009, 07:35 PM
Emergency Services

Hard to say. It might be a problem with the actual sensor, not the transmission. It might seem improbable that a temperature sensor will cause a transmission malfunction like that, but let me tell you about what the sensor does. It measures on the dash gauge, which is fine, but what it really does is tell the transmission how to shift based on the ambient temperature.

The 5R110 is actually a 6-speed transmission. In cold weather (below -15C or 4F) the transmission has a different shift strategy built into it's programming. Normally it shifts from 1 to 2, 2 to 3, to 5, then 5 to 6 (over drive). In cold weather it will shift from 1 to 2, 2 to 3, 3 to 4 and then 4 to 6 (over drive).

If the truck couldn't read the temperature, it might have gone into limp mode because it didn't know what strategy to use.

Just a theory. Maybe one of the diesel tech / gurus will come in here and educate us both.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:30 PM

That does seem like it would make sense. Its amazing how many Ford knowledgable members there are here.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:09 PM

Well last night it was -39 C and this afternoon it was -30 C. I had my truck plugged in, started it and let it warm up for about 20 mins. Drove about a mile and it went into transmission limp mode again with CEL this time.
code that came up are
P0710 Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor Circuit Malfunction
P0713 Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor Circuit High Input
P1000 On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) Systems Readiness Test Not Complete
P215A Vehicle Speed / Wheel Speed Correlation

Do you guys think this is only weather related?
I did have the EGR replace friday they did wash my truck a put it outside and it was -28 then, could have damaged something I guess.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:31 PM
Emergency Services

Well, now you're getting somewhere.

The P1000 is nothing to worry about. It means they had the batteries disconnected at the dealership when they were working on your EGR. It will clear on it's own after a few drive cycles.

The other codes could all have to do with water in the transmission wiring. I am pleased to see that the temp sensor is not working. It might validate my theory..

I don't know about 6.0l pickup trucks, but my new 2009 6.0l vans (yes they still put the 6.0l in vans) have their speed sensors in their transmissions (I think). They could be in each individual wheel, I am not sure. Whatever it is, it is not in the top of the axle like they used to be.

I would crawl under your truck and disconnect the wiring on your transmission, and use some electrical contact cleaner on them.

It is possible that any water in there can't evaporate since you live in the arctic some where. Here's the theory again: As the truck heats up, the water in the connections melts enough to short them out.

Anyhow, good luck..
Old 12-22-2009, 02:33 PM

So it went into the shop. They changed the transmission temp sensor, transmission filter cause they said it was plugged. Cost me $380 for the filter, was hoping it was warranty but no sir, just the sensor was.
They said the filter was plugged and wouldnt circulate the warm oil to the tranny, which i didnt understand cause the temp gauge would show temp no problem but would just drop to zero in a blink of an eye.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Tranny Limp Home??? its what happens when you kick a drag queen in the knee and make it walk home.......

sorry i couldn't resist.....

Last edited by ianstew; 12-22-2009 at 02:42 PM.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:04 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Whoa whoa whoa whoa....

$380 for the filter?

Please tell me you meant to type $38.

Also how many miles are on your truck? If the filter was plugged at a low mileage, that to me indicates that there is a transmission component failing -- where else would stuff be coming from to plug the filter?

The gauge dropped to nothing because the sensor had failed, the DTC's prove it. Likely didn't have anything to do with the filter.

If the filter was plugged, one would think the trans fluid temp would be too high since it couldn't circulate oil, no?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.