Truck dies when it gets to 1/4 tank of fuel - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2009, 04:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck dies when it gets to 1/4 tank of fuel

I am posting this for a friend. He has a 2008 F-250 6.4 with 57,000 miles. He also has a gravity feed fuel tank in the bed with a valve to shut the fuel flow on and off. Twice this has happened. He was going down the road and when his fuel guage got to around a 1/4 tank, the truck would just shut down and not start. He would try to start it again and it would turn over but never fire. He had it towed to a dealer, who after 4 or 5 days, all they said is that he ran it out of fuel. He asked if they had dropped the tank and checked the fuel and they said no. They got the truck started again without putting any fuel in it and he took it and filled it up and it was fine. The next time he let it get to 1/4 tank it died on him right when he was pulling in the driveway. It wouldn't start for 4 days and then one day he went out and it started fine. He took it and filled it up and its ok now. Also, the first time the tank in the bed had no fuel in it and the valve was shut off. The second time the tank in the bed had fuel, but the valve was off. Does anybody have any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2009, 04:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Check the vent on the tank. If it's not venting, you pull a vacuum on the tank and the pump can't overcome the negative pressure. When it dies try removing the fuel cap and putting it back on, if you have a venting problem this should let the truck start back up.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks. I will let him know. Does anybody else have any imput on this?
Old 11-18-2009, 04:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

BUMP ANYBODY?
Old 11-18-2009, 11:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
He probably is running it out of fuel, the fuel sender is messed up and not reading correctly. As far at the second tank sounds like you have a bad valve that is sticking shut.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ok, I didn't make myself clear. There is not a problem with the tank in the bed. I just pointed out that it had one and that it had a valve that was shut off, because I figured I would get asked that question. The truck is not out of fuel. It actually still has a 1/4 of a tank of fuel. The filter still have fuel in them and when it does start again, it will run 100 miles or more before it is actually out of fuel.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:54 PM

Read this in the Diesel Supplement Booklet, I know it's not that cold in Odessa but maybe it's something with the fuel pickup. Just a thought.

"Your vehicle is equipped with a bypass relief valve, located in the fuel tank pick-up boot, which provides fuel flow to the engine if the fuel pickup should become plugged. To allow the bypass valve to function and avoid engine fuel starvation during cold weather operation of 32F (0C) or below, it is recommended that the fuel level in your tank should not be allowed to drop below 1/4 full. This will help prevent air from entering the fuel system and stalling the engine."
Old 11-20-2009, 04:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mexigeo, I think you are right. That sounds like it fits perfectly. I am compiling a list of answers for him and then they are gonna tear into it and go through all of the stuff I get on that list.
Old 11-21-2009, 03:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I was having this problem with my 06. When it would read 80 miles till empty, the truck would stumble when started unless you primed the system and it would run out of fuel at around 40 miles till empty. Dropped the tank and what Mexigeo is stating. The relief valve had fallen out of the fuel tank pick up boot and the fuel was being pulled through the open valve. Once the fuel got low it was sucking enough air through the relief valve causing me my issues. The plug was floating in the tank.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:16 AM
Premium Member

I have an 09 F-350 and twice the truck died with fuel in the tank. Once with 1/8 tank showing on the guages and the next time with just under a 1/4 of fuel showing on the guages. Both times the dealer told me I have run out of fuel. Both times they bled the air out of the high pressure lines and got it going. 2nd time dealer pulled the tank and said the guage was reading properly and are installing a new sending unit in it. They stand by the "statement" of never letting it get below 1/4 of tank. Thsi statement refers only to cold weather operation due to condensation build up shouold it get below a 1/4 of a tank in cold weather. I have asked them to look at the by-pass vavlve and the pick-up boot in the tank and they are currently searching for answers. The truck has only 3500 miles on it. Has anybody else had this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.