Does a good truck exist? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2009, 09:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Does a good truck exist?

I've been doing a lot of reading here. Does anyone have a truck that doesn't have some sort of weird issue? I've never heard of a truck's intercooler or hoses filling with water. What is a strong point with this truck? I want to buy a tough truck, but it seems like everybody here has some kind of crazy problem with their truck. Are there any GOOD trucks out there? Or are they all messed up?

Just looking for a little confidence booster here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2009, 09:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you could find a nice 7.3 powerstroke with low miles that would be a good truck. Those enignes are years 99-2003. Overall those engines have the least amount of problems. Mine has 230000 miles and not a problem major problem with anything.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucktractorman View Post
If you could find a nice 7.3 powerstroke with low miles that would be a good truck. Those enignes are years 99-2003. Overall those engines have the least amount of problems. Mine has 230000 miles and not a problem major problem with anything.
They are also years 94.5-97

Think about it this way, people come to this forum to find an anwser to their problem, thats why it seems like everyone has a problem. Imagine the millions of problem free trucks were their owners do not come online and talk about how strong their trucks are. The PowerStroke motor is one of the most reliable in anything you can buy.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:18 AM
Shaking the Bush Boss

I consider my 96 F250 a D@mn great truck! Yes, Its broke at the moment, but its to be expected of any vehicle that is heavily modified. I push my truck hard...and deal with the consiquences as they come.....
Old 10-17-2009, 10:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I know how great the 7.3's were and are. But the new trucks come with and can make so much more power. I'm looking to get one of the new 6.4's. So the 7.3 isn't an option tho I have a ton of respect for them. The guys that don't ave problems are there specific mods you have done or recommend to increase the reliability of the truck? A DPF delete is definitely going to be done. Anything else?
Old 10-17-2009, 10:37 AM

if you want to read about problems head on over to the Dmax forums.

i used to have a 06 and hung out there for quite along time. if you added 70 hp to those things you were looking at a tranny rebuild. if you towed over 13000# in ambiant temps abouve 83 deg f you would be puking coolant. on all the dmaxes in 05 and 06 these were problems not a 1 out of 20 thing but on every single one of them. and gm wouldnt do anything about it. i could see engine 250 deg temps on mine towing a 9000# boat up a 4mile 10% grade. when i got a ford and found out people were running an additional 250 hp towing trailers at +15000# with no trans or over heating problems. i was utterly amazed.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:47 AM

Send a message via MSN to Dusten
my 08 has been a great truck. its had a few problems, but nothing that leads me to think it'll ever fail me.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Red face

I have a bunch of powerstrokes, including some 2004 6.0's, a combo that many would say was not the best year. Lowest mileage I have is 235,000. Other than the odd cooler, a couple of rads, a few injector problems, they have been pretty good. I have over 4 million miles of experience with powerstrokes and have not once had a driveline problem other than some universal replacements. My drivers run them like they stole them. Clean oil at at least half the recommended intervals, filter changes done early, fuel conditioners, overall good maintenance practices pays off on these engines. I have a few 08's and 09's that have seen there share of time in the dealerships bays.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:59 AM

I look at the construction/excavating/paving companies around here, literally all run Fords, and from talking to a bunch of the repair guys, The trucks are usually pretty good, the 6.0 had a learning curve. They beat on the trucks hard, load the crap out of them, idle for extended periods, have 200k+ HARD miles on them and the still run, and I see alot of 7.3-6.0-6.4, full yr range all being used. I don't nearly as many Dodge/GM, I just recently bought an 06 Ram and I'm not a big fan of any part of it, engine included. Makes tons of power but constantly having to mess with it, and no way I found yet to custom tune a trans. I prefer my 00 ford to the 06 ram in general.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:04 PM

Your talking to enthusiasts not just some people that own a truck. Its in our nature to nit pick and complain. I like to think my truck is a great truck. It has never let me down and I never regretted buying it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.