Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

08 f350 a/c compressor change

12K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  ZMANN 
#1 ·
Can anyone tell me what is the best was to change the a/c compressor and belts on the 08 f350. And how can I tell if the compressor has went bad? Clutch doesn't seem to be working at all but also need to change the belts and tensioners.

#2 ·
if you're changing the belts/tensioners, best way is to pull the shroud, knock the fan off, lean it forward, and go to town. remember, the fan hub is lh thread. to pullthe shroud i usually pull the 6 bolts holding the rad support to the frame. knock the locating tabs off the support with a chisel ifthey're still there. pull the support forward. that will give you enough room to pull the shroud without breaking it. if it's already broken, lucky you. jst yank it out lol.
if the clutch is not cycling, doubtful it's the compressor. i would start by checking the charge level. if it's good, you can jump the clutch at the relay. for a quick test, could swap the horn relay with ac clutch relay. problem could also be a pressure switch

#3 ·
Kaya nailed it. It's most likely you have a leak and the low pressure switch is preventing the clutch from engaging. These compressors are VERY stout, so I'd be checking the refrigerant level. If it's a little low, top it off. If it's empty, put a vacuum pump on it and then let it sit for an hour. If it loses it's vacuum, you KNOW you have a leak somewhere. Knowing that is huge so you don't throw away a bunch of money on refrigerant. If it's holding fine, I'd recommend checking the items that Kaya said, but also you should check the air gap on the clutch. They sometimes need to have the shim removed to improve clutch engagement.

#4 ·
you also don't just change and charge an AC compressor

you have it evacuated if it is still under charge then after you change it you have the system put under vacuum to remove all moisture
then recharged

there are also other components you change when doing a compressor but the depth depends on how bad the multi piston compressor failed ( may need a flush )

after basic checks this is one area i have no problem letting a shop perform the diagnostics and work

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.