Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Trans Fluid level check?

31K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  ZMANN 
#1 ·
I was wondering what is the proper way to accurately measure the proper transmission fluid level in my 09 f250 with the 5R110W trans. I know I need the truck in park, on a level surface, fluid temperature to operating temp, but do I check it with the engine RUNNING or OFF?? I checked mine last night after coming home and with it completely warmed and engine running, it is not even reading in the hot or cold area. But with the truck off, warmed up, it is sitting right in the middle of the HOT reading area on the dipstick. Does this mean I need to top it off? I don't want to overfill it.

#2 ·
I think you need oil!

#5 ·
Ok, That is what I was thinking. Yes totally agree about the dipstick tube giving false readings when you fill it ZMANN.

I thought it was running low. I keep putting in a little at a time and checking. Haven't seen any leaks on the ground or under the truck. I had to pull my transmission out and replace the gasket on the front trans pump because that was leaking. What a job that was!!! Anyway doing it myself saved a lot from what the Dealership quoted. Since I had the trans out I drained as much of the fluid as possible and I guess I still am not completely to full capacity yet. I'll keep adding a little at a time. Just didn't know for sure if you check it with the engine running or off. Makes sense that you have to I guess have the engine running so the torque converter is full and not draining back into the pan.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.