Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

HELP! Hub broke, now stuck and bearing is shot!

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Uc11 
#1 · (Edited)
Upon a trip to the dealer recently to get my oil changed and them telling me I needed new ball joints...I brought my truck to a friend that helps me with things I can't do or don't have the experience to do.
Upon inspection, we realized the ball joints are going bad but not as bad as they stated. That being said the U-Joint on the passenger side front was completely shot!
When I tried to disassemble the hub/spindle setup...most of the plastic tabs on the hub were broken, I tried my best to wiggle the hub loose and the rest of the tabs broke the hub came apart. I got most of it out but I believe there are pieces still left in there.
Problem now is that the bearing in the spindle is shot, so I need to replace that but need to get the rest of the hub out to replace the bearing and the hub.
Any ideas on how to remove the remainder of the hub? Also, can I just replace the bearing or do I have to replace the whole spindle?
I've also thought about going to manual hubs...What are the opinions about doing that and what brand is recommended for the hubs and the bearing/spindle?

2009 F350 6.4 Crew SRW

Thanks!!

See less See more
#2 ·
only one option for replacement hubs its a warn manual but the OEM is warn also

the inner bearing can be replaced separate it is held in by a clip and is a sealed bearing unlike the older needle bearing units but you have to pull the whole bearing to get to it

and since the u joint is toast u would anyway

you also need a knuckle seal

#3 ·
Same thing happened to me, the cap and the plastic part broke off and the rest remained inside. I got mine out using one of those long bent flat screwdrivers and a small screw driver in the opposite side wiggling it out. Took me like 30 seconds but the hub still looked pretty new maybe that's why.

#5 ·
Ok, I've tried a couple different methods (made up some hooks out of 6X1/4" bolts and a slide hammer) to get the rest of it out.
What's left in there will slide in toward the truck and out a little easily but seems to hit/get stuck on something. Is there anything it can be hitting or getting caught on (c-clip,etc.)?

#11 ·
Check your spindle for damage and buy the seal driver to replace your vacuum seal. Replace your inner shaft seal also, u-joints, pretty much everything you can while you have it apart. The Cheap Hub bearing assemblies work, but mine had short mounting studs, they worked but weren't exact. Oh and have fun on those ball joints, I did mine by hand with a sledge hammer and assortment of Tool steel blocks, sockets and hard wood blocks, I bought the cheap Chinese ball joints that are grease-able and use the expensive water proof grease and they've lasted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.