Dealer blew up my motor Now what ? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2009, 11:18 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dealer blew up my motor Now what ?

Ok I know some guys on here are techs in Ford shops so mabe they can help me. I think that the dealer ship I took my truck too blew up my motor. Heres is what happened.
1. Took truck to dealer cause EGR cooler failed told the dealer that I thought it was the EGR cooler.
2.Dealer completly ignored me and did all the recalls they could on my truck before diagnosing for my complaint.These recalls included a new radiator and reflash the ecm
3.When I called the first time about the trk the service writer told me that they were doing all recalls first
4. When I called the second time the parts manager told me (because I called after hours) the truck had a ticking noise/engine noise
5. The next day I callled and talked to the service writer he said he didnt know what the noise was yet but it seemed that it was a lifter noise and mentioned the engine might have had coolant in the cylinder and tried too compress it causing damage to the valve train
6.Then they pulled the valve covers and found two rocker seized up and changed those out. No change
7.Next they pulled off the oilpan and said that there was damage to #8 cyl wallls. said they were gonna pull the motor out
8.Motor got changed out and new short block was installed
9. I picked the truck up from the dealer with the receipt looking over the receipt and I saw no oil filter listed also it stated the #8 piston was striking the counterweight on the crankshaft(bent connecting rod)
10. Contacted dealership and asked about the oil filter the service writer told me (NO I DIDNT CHANGE IT IT SLIPPED MY MIND)
11. Service writer told me too bring it up there and they would change the oil and the filter
I have too concearns with this situation 1st is the ideal that the dealer may have caused the damage to my engine by not repairing the EGR cooler prior to refilling the cooling system causing the coolant to fill up the EGR cooler and with it leaking it caused coolant to go through the exhaust and into the cylinder and then bent the connecting rod ,2nd is the fact that they didnt change the oil filter so now the new motor was contaminated with the metal shavings from the old motor what do you guys think that I should do or have the dearler ship do to make sure that my warranty will still be intact for the remander of the factory specs(100kmi). Also I tried to call Ford customer relations what a joke the totally blew me off and said that the deal is between the dealer and me that they wouldn't help me at all .What 's your guys oppinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2009, 11:25 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
WHAT TOTAL BS. I WOULD DEMAND A NEW ENGINE AND NOT PAY A DIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

then go to a different dealer now on
Old 08-20-2009, 05:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

How can you forget to change an oil filter when it is a different engine?

Not sure it would contaminate the oil though. Did you keep the old filter or check it?
Old 08-20-2009, 05:49 PM
one day at a time

I don't get it...

If they replaced the short block they would have put all new oil in the motor. Even if it was the original filter it would still have trapped any contaminants, right? Stupid mistake from the dealership, but I doubt it would cause you any troubles down the road. That being said I would replace the filter if you haven't done so already.

Also sounds like you need to find a different dealership for your service needs. They are not all created equal.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:34 PM

idk

I dont know why they didnt change it I got the trk at the end of shift on Saturday and was reading over the invoice and noticed that there wasnt a oil filter on there,So I called the service manager and he told me it slipped his mind what an idiot anyway I went there thursday and they changed the oil and the filter and the fuel filter no charge but I am still concearned with th engine because I had to drive like 300 miles with the old filter. Also I was on my way to the dealer and the darn brake caliper tied up so I had to have it towed to another dealer to get that fixed because THE GRREAT FORD ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE wouldnt tow it the extra 12miles to the original dealer it was at........b.s. I give up any body wanna buy a truck I want my 7.3 back I know its not the trucks fault but atleast I could work on it without pulling the cab ooh and i am serious about selling the truck .

Last edited by orngpel; 08-21-2009 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:05 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to skipnay
I would ask them for the oil change, oil filter, and come new with the new motor they are going to put in.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:13 PM

how much for the truck?
Old 09-03-2009, 05:16 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
According to what your saying is they used a shortblock.

Ok in terms of a shortblock, that is an engine block, crank, and pistons. You use your heads you have and everything else that is on the old engine. Then the old short block goes back for core charge. Nothing wrong with using a shortblock replacement.

Change your oil, and drive the truck. If anything comes up again with in the warranty then take it to a different dealer.

As for who or what caused the damage to the engine. Well it is under warranty and did not cost you money to repair. All recalls are completed now.

As for the use of an old oil filter. Well if the filter did its job then there should be no concerned about contamination to the oil. Because all metal shavings should have been trapped by the filter.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:35 PM

Angry

Well that is a HUGE IF for a $50k truck tht I still have to pay for,for the next four years and that the warranty is almost half gone already . I think the dealer should have put a whole engine in the truck because when I took it to them it didnt have any engine noise and instead of listening to me and changing the EGR cooler like I told them they decided that they were smarter than me and did recalls and changed the radiator ,when they did that the refilled the cooling system including the old damaged Egr cooler and it leaked into the exhaust system and right through the open exhaust valve and into the cylinder then they tried to start it and hydrolocked it and thats why I got the motor inthe first place neglegance on the dealers part................. B.S. and I dont think that it was very smart for them or anyone to reuse a oil filter ever especially on someone elses truck , weather it worked or not is not the issue it is simply the principal of the matter Also if I hadn't told them they didnt change the filter what do you think the chances of them calling me and telling me that they forgot are I say slim and none
Old 09-08-2009, 11:36 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngpel View Post
Well that is a HUGE IF for a $50k truck tht I still have to pay for,for the next four years and that the warranty is almost half gone already . I think the dealer should have put a whole engine in the truck because when I took it to them it didnt have any engine noise and instead of listening to me and changing the EGR cooler like I told them they decided that they were smarter than me and did recalls and changed the radiator ,when they did that the refilled the cooling system including the old damaged Egr cooler and it leaked into the exhaust system and right through the open exhaust valve and into the cylinder then they tried to start it and hydrolocked it and thats why I got the motor inthe first place neglegance on the dealers part................. B.S. and I dont think that it was very smart for them or anyone to reuse a oil filter ever especially on someone elses truck , weather it worked or not is not the issue it is simply the principal of the matter Also if I hadn't told them they didnt change the filter what do you think the chances of them calling me and telling me that they forgot are I say slim and none
I agree with you 100% but chances are nothing will come about it with your dealer and you. You could get a lawyer to write a nasty letter, with that said you will spend about about 500-2k and get the same results. just my
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.