Back pressure problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2009, 02:56 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Back pressure problem

So, I'm out camping this weekend and while driving around (about 10 to 15 mph) my truck stops running. It had just come out of regen and the display indicated to make a safe stop or something like that and it died. I get a check eng light about every 6 to 8 weeks and every time they tell me its because of the lack of back pressure from the after market ext. I have been told it is an MBRP 5" dual ext. and Bankston Ford in Arlington, Texas wants to cancel my waranty over this. So I have 2 ?

1.Has anyone else had this kind of problem?

2.If I buy a SCT or Spartan do you think this problem will go away.

I took the truck back to where I bought it (not Banston) to see if they could help me with this since the ext. was on there when I bought it from them and they will look into it. If my warranty is going to be vioded any way I would buy the SCT or Spartan but would like some input if one of them would clear this problem up or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2009, 03:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to harleyultra1969
The dealer is BSing you about the back pressure due to the aftermarket exhaust. All of the backpressure is built up in the DPF. Go with the SCT or Spartan and get rid of the DPF and you'll never have this problem again.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:55 AM

Sounds like the EGT's are getting too high and it's going into emergency shutdown.

Yes, modifying the exhaust, even the tail pipe can cause problems with the stock system. It has been well documented and those exhaust tips are not like that just for looks. This does not mean you can't have a bad sensor though.

The aftermarket programmers that disable regeneration allow you to run an aftermarket exhaust and remove the DPF. No more problems unless there is already a real problem. In that case the problem will likely still be there. Can you put the original tail pipe on and try it?

They can always void certain parts of the warranty work if an aftermarket part causes a problem. They cannot void the entire warranty over this. When you have an unrelated problem it is still warrantied.

However there could be something that happens and it could appear to be caused by an aftermarket part when it is actually not. There is probably no way to tell for sure in some cases.

Last edited by DavidPhillips; 07-05-2009 at 03:06 AM.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:02 AM
Premium Member

No I don't have the origenal ext as I bought it with the after market one thats on there. The hits just keep on comming. Today When I went to get my trailer that I had to leave at the camp site when the truck got towed on Friday, before I got to the end of my street I hear a loud ticking sound and then started blowing white smoke out of the ext. The only thing about my 2006 F250 is it was a gasser. This 2008 is starting to make me a little crazy All my friends come to me when they need a truck so I'm not sure at the moment how I'm going to get my trailer home with out paying for a towe truck. Sorry if I'm starting to rant but just getting it out I fell a little better....
Old 07-05-2009, 08:22 AM

Sounds to me like there is a lot more of a problem than the exhaust tip.

You should probably try another dealer.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:23 AM
Premium Member

Mine did the same thing. It did the emergency shut down towing a gooseneck trailer back from the ranch. After setting for about 10 minutes and restarting I drove it and the trailer home. The next day took it to the dealer and they replaced the DPF, it only had about 6500 miles on it. Have had no problems since and am at 29,000 miles
Old 07-11-2009, 07:09 PM
Premium Member

Well I got my truck back today and they had to put an factory intake back into it to get it to work with out throung out cades. The place were I got my truck payed for it () but the dealr gave me the AFE back so now I have both of them. In the classifieds someone is selling an SCT I offed to buy it so I'll wait and see. The first two that I tryied to buy in the classifieds never got back to me about selling them. If this one dosen't work out I'll give up trying to buy from this classified area and save my money for a spartan like eveyone else. Thanks to all that posted info for me.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:27 PM

I hope it works out for you.

It is hard to believe that the intake would overheat the DPF though. Time will tell.

If your removing the DPF I would say the problem will soon be gone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.