Hard Brake Pedal but No Brakes!! Help! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2009, 04:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Hard Brake Pedal but No Brakes!! Help!

Well finally got the truck back and I have a few issues the one thats plauging me the most (besides not having a proper tune, some mounting of parts issues, (Insert complaint list) is the brakes my brake pedal is hard as a rock but it doesn't have any stopping power but the thing is my power steering and hydraulic assist are working fine? I don't understand! I need some help please! We've (me and all my me*****s) tried bleeding the brakes and the power steering system and nothing works. The best I got was a "contamination issue" from Ford from Elite "I should go buy the in line filter from ford to correct the problem......." I didn't have any problems with the brakes prior to my trip.

Any help that anyone can give me would be greatly appericated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2009, 04:56 PM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If you have a 6.4 I know nothing about it.. but sounds like a vacumm pump from a 6.0....

Given your write up I'd have to assume you have a hydromax system, which I haven't seen on Fords yet.. thank god.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:57 PM

Yeah its a 6.4 L

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMVT View Post
If you have a 6.4 I know nothing about it.. but sounds like a vacumm pump from a 6.0....

Given your write up I'd have to assume you have a hydromax system, which I haven't seen on Fords yet.. thank god.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:00 PM
Emergency Services

Yeah, I just read another thread and they said they have an 07 with a 6.4 so I figured that was the case. We still have 09's with the 6.0 so I'm not up to speed since that motor doesn't fit in the E's :/
Old 06-29-2009, 05:06 PM
Emergency Services

You said you just got the truck back.... what was done to it?
Old 06-29-2009, 05:11 PM
Emergency Services

This is the only TSB... the only thing of interest is the possibility of crossed lines.

TSB 07-11-10

06/11/07

BRAKE PEDAL KICKBACK OR GRABBING

FORD:
1997-2007 E-Series
1999-2008 F-Super Duty
2000-2005 Excursion

This article supersedes TSB 99-25-8 to update the vehicle model years.

ISSUE
Some 1999-2008 F-Super Duty, 2000-2005 Excursion, and 1997-2007 E-Series vehicles equipped with Hyrdo-Boost(R) brake booster system may exhibit a brake pedal kickback and/or grabbing condition when applying the brakes. This may be caused by contamination within the power steering system.

ACTION
Filter the power steering fluid by installing a temporary filter in the power steering system. Refer to the Service Procedure below.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Verify that the line from the pump and the line to the gear at the Hydro-Boost(R) are in their correct orientation (and not crossed). The passenger side goes to the pump, the driver side goes to the gear.

2. Attach a pinch-off clamp to the lower power steering hose approximately 6" (15 cm) from the lower port of the power steering cooler to keep fluid from emptying out of the system when the hose is disconnected.

3. Disconnect the power steering hose from the lower port on the cooler. Cap the cooler port to minimize fluid leakage and immediately install the temporary filter in line with the power steering hose using hose clamps to retain the filter (the filter needs to go in the low pressure line that goes from gear to cooler to reservoir, where it would be most accessible).

4. Attach the other end of the filter to the cooler using the clamps provided.

5. Remove the pinch-off clamp from the power steering hose.

FILTERING PROCEDURE

CAUTION BE SURE THAT THE PARKING BRAKE IS APPLIED DURING THE FOLLOWING STEPS 1-7.

1. Check power steering fluid level before starting the vehicle.

2. Start the vehicle and allow it to idle for approximately 15 seconds.

NOTE DO NOT HOLD THE STEERING AT LOCK FOR MORE THAN 5 SECONDS.

3. Turn steering wheel lock-to-lock 10 times.

4. Pump service brake pedal hard to floor 25 times.

5. Turn steering wheel lock-to-lock 5 times.

6. Remove the filter and reconnect the power steering line to the cooler. Discard the filter. Fill the power steering system. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 211-00 Power Steering System Filling.

7. With the engine at idle, gradually apply the brake pedal until fully applied. If the brake pedal kickback persists, replace the Hydro-Boost(R) brake booster. Refer to WSM, Section 206-07.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:12 PM

A lot! but right now I don't want to discuss to much b/c I'm really not too happy with the truck and the way things were done.......

Quote:
You said you just got the truck back.... what was done to it?
Old 06-30-2009, 06:25 AM

Thanks I'm gonna give this a try and see what happens.....

Quote:
This is the only TSB... the only thing of interest is the possibility of crossed lines.

TSB 07-11-10

06/11/07

BRAKE PEDAL KICKBACK OR GRABBING

FORD:
1997-2007 E-Series
1999-2008 F-Super Duty
2000-2005 Excursion

This article supersedes TSB 99-25-8 to update the vehicle model years.

ISSUE
Some 1999-2008 F-Super Duty, 2000-2005 Excursion, and 1997-2007 E-Series vehicles equipped with Hyrdo-Boost(R) brake booster system may exhibit a brake pedal kickback and/or grabbing condition when applying the brakes. This may be caused by contamination within the power steering system.

ACTION
Filter the power steering fluid by installing a temporary filter in the power steering system. Refer to the Service Procedure below.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Verify that the line from the pump and the line to the gear at the Hydro-Boost(R) are in their correct orientation (and not crossed). The passenger side goes to the pump, the driver side goes to the gear.

2. Attach a pinch-off clamp to the lower power steering hose approximately 6" (15 cm) from the lower port of the power steering cooler to keep fluid from emptying out of the system when the hose is disconnected.

3. Disconnect the power steering hose from the lower port on the cooler. Cap the cooler port to minimize fluid leakage and immediately install the temporary filter in line with the power steering hose using hose clamps to retain the filter (the filter needs to go in the low pressure line that goes from gear to cooler to reservoir, where it would be most accessible).

4. Attach the other end of the filter to the cooler using the clamps provided.

5. Remove the pinch-off clamp from the power steering hose.

FILTERING PROCEDURE

CAUTION BE SURE THAT THE PARKING BRAKE IS APPLIED DURING THE FOLLOWING STEPS 1-7.

1. Check power steering fluid level before starting the vehicle.

2. Start the vehicle and allow it to idle for approximately 15 seconds.

NOTE DO NOT HOLD THE STEERING AT LOCK FOR MORE THAN 5 SECONDS.

3. Turn steering wheel lock-to-lock 10 times.

4. Pump service brake pedal hard to floor 25 times.

5. Turn steering wheel lock-to-lock 5 times.

6. Remove the filter and reconnect the power steering line to the cooler. Discard the filter. Fill the power steering system. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 211-00 Power Steering System Filling.

7. With the engine at idle, gradually apply the brake pedal until fully applied. If the brake pedal kickback persists, replace the Hydro-Boost(R) brake booster. Refer to WSM, Section 206-07.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:25 AM

Thanks for the post! Seem to work like a charm every thing is working fine now! Now I just need some tuning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.