Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

keep it legal

5K views 50 replies 12 participants last post by  dudshep31 
#1 ·
Hey you guys with the chipped out 6.4s.
When you guys do the chips and straight pipes does it make it e legal. Cause I'm interested but i live in mass and i know are laws are strict.
Thanks Cody.

#3 ·
Move to a state where they dont inspect :hehe:

Seriously though if you keep your mufflers/cats/dpfs and put them in before inspections you should be fine. Chips and tuners can be removed in not much time at all so that is not an issue. You may have to order a stock tune with some codes turned off depending how much you delete.

#4 ·
so if i straight pipe a 6.4 will i pass inspection.

#7 ·
you will not pass a smog test if your diesel requires a DEQ test every 2 years. You HAVE TO HAVE the particulate filter and the factory equipment or equivalent to pass. They shove a huge probe up the pipe to check for partical output (soot) so even with a heavy tune you wont pass. It sucks because the 6.4 is a brown stripe without a tuner. DB stands for decibel, or the amount of sound your truck emits. If you live in a state that requires you to do a smog test, leave it stock. Thats what I would do. Maybe put a tuner on it to get better MPG. At least that way you can take the tuner off when you have to pass DEQ.

#9 ·
It is illegal to delete the dpf/cat. And I'm pretty sure there is a hefty fine for doing so. However, it hasn't been a big deal in most places. You will fail inspection if they do a visual check. Once you've taken the pipe off the first time, it's very easy to put it back on for reasons such as inspections or warranty work.

#12 ·
so basicaly if i want to get a beefy 6.4 Banks is all i can run??

#15 ·
Where abouts in Mass are you? I live in the taunton area and for the past 3 years I've had my 04 6.0 straight piped all the inspection station did was plug into an OBD and just check the lights and front end for safety. No smog test or anything

#21 ·
alot of people on here have found that banks is way overpriced for what you get. many have had better luck with other, cheaper, and better products.

#22 ·
Diesel vehicles 08 and newer have a diesel particulate filter. It is a violation to remove these and use them for normal street use. However, a number of guys run tunes that delete the dpf and cat and its not a big deal. However, you can return the truck to stock to have inspections done and warranty work at the dealership. And bringing up Banks on the 6.4 forum is a no-no. These guys for some reason hate banks products and they don't really improve anything on the 6.4s from what I have read.

#26 ·
Ok but dont alot of tunes burn up the dpf. those mofos cant be cheap to replace.

G
#29 ·
if you want to run tunes then get the DPF delete, then keep the DPF so when you have to get it inspected or warrenty work done put it back on and return the truck to stock. if you have supprise/random inspections then it your choice to see if you want to gamble on getting caught or not. also Spartan makes tunes that are DPF safe.

#30 ·
So is that just banks way of getting you to buy there crap. with the whole dirty tune thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.