Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

What sump do I want?

3K views 31 replies 7 participants last post by  rocknmj 
#1 ·
I'm gonna order an AirDog 2 and thought I would maybe put a sump in as well. But there seem to be many out there and I was wondering what everyone else is using. I would prefer to not have to drop my tank, but will if I have to. It looks like some are easier than others and I just wanted to know if there are any I should stay away from.

Thanks a bunch!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#2 ·
I am curious as well. I will probably go with sinister but I imagine they pretty much all do the same thing.

#4 ·
Beans diesel all the way comes with everything to install even the bit for the hole no drop required and very good quality

#6 ·
Didn't even think twice about it as soon as I found them I was sold! I had to wait a week for mine to come in though that was the only thing

#7 ·
takes 20 min to drop the tank. have a buddy help and it will come out in no time. do the harpoon mod while your in there. my buddy had the smaller tank, he could only get 24-25 gallons in till the pump clicked off. after we did the mod he can get 29 gallons in. pretty sweet. gonna do mine but plan on doing a sump as well so might as well wait so i only need to drop it once!

#10 ·
Your gonna love it! Post your results and review for us

#11 ·
^^ This! I may go with the beans sump.

#13 ·
you fellers are gonna want to drop the tank...

you can do it without using the split ring type plate, but I'll kiss your tush (which means I have a high degree of confidence) that it is EASIER to do with the tank off... plus, you can get every little scrap of plastic from the hole saw and the pilot holes out if the tank is on the deck, as opposed to wondering about those things until they show up in your fuel bow........... or worse.... it's been suggested, and it maybe has some credit that those shards of twisty plastic from drilling can cut through a filter and land in your fuel systems... likely? maybe not.. possible? yup.. why risk it? and besides, dropping the tank isn't near the chore it sounds like, and will make installing the sump a LOT easier.

#14 ·
The bdp sump kit is made so you don't have to drop the tank as for ad2 install I don't thing u have to drop tank but not for sure

#15 ·
I was planning on dropping it anyway for that very reason. I just wouldn't feel comfortable not knowing if my tank was totally clean. And with all I've heard about the problems with the reman HPFP's I don't want to take any chances. I've got 4 days of coming up, so it shouldn't be a problem.

#16 ·
Another upgrade you can do for the AD2 is use the Donaldson P551315 filters and Baldwin BF1275 water separator. They are better than the airdog filters. The Donaldson filter is a 2 micron absolute and its cheaper than the airdog filters :thumb:

#17 ·
Where do u get such filters

#18 ·
#20 ·
So I'm gonna start putting my AD2 on this weekend and the sump in my tank. Question is do you cut the end off the supplied 1/2" Fuel hose that comes with the pump and push on the barbed end of the sump, or is there a better option? Then, what is everyone doing with the stock Fuel fittings that are no longer used (on the tank unit and the now unused stock lift pump)? Best way to cover them up so they don't get full of junk, etc?

#21 ·
For the lines u want to make sure you cut them back to the metal pipe part find a rubber end cap and clamp them on the shop that installed my airdog didn't cap off the line and when I went to fill up it created a siphon effect and fuel started to come out of the line lost over 10 gallons .... But the shop pulled through for me and helped me out.

#23 ·
I have a picture I can upload later but I have the 38 gal tank mines in the flat middle portion of the tank

#24 ·
Well on my way. Got the AD2 mounted on the frame and my tank out to install my sump. That tank was kind of a pain to unhook, but I managed.

Attachments

#25 ·
Looking good so far.

#26 ·
Okay, couple questions.

1. Right now I have the AD2 mounted on the INSIDE drivers frame rail. Is this where most are mounting up or is anyone mounting on the OUTSIDE frame rail?

2. Do you need to add hose clamps on the splices after you shorten the hoses, or do they seal up good without them?

3. Better to splice the pump trigger into the OEM wire harness (purple/white wire) or go to the fuse block in the engine bay and use the supplied tap?

I'm just trying to get these little things figured out the first time rather than going back and doing it over.

Also, has anyone added a low pressure sensor or gauge, or are you just going with it as is?

Thanks for all the advice. I took a diesel shower last night while I was disconnecting the OEM pump and connecting the new hoses. The wife wasn't too happy about how I smelled! My Sump is installed and I'm about ready to put my tank back up. Just getting hoses and wires routed now.

#27 ·
I don't have answered on ur other questions but mine air dog is mounted on the out side of frame rail

#28 ·
Well, it took me about a day and a half, but the new pump and tank sump are in and the first test drive went well. Everything went pretty well, but the AirDog instructions leave a little to be desired! After searching several threads and making a few adjustments for my truck I got it all done. Hopefully it all holds up well!

It took me awhile to cap and wrap all the unused fittings on my OEM pump since I'm leaving it on and I coiled all the extra hose for now instead of cutting the extra out. I may do that in the future. The AD2 bleed out fine and my truck fired right up. To soon to tell if anything changed, but at least it is as good as before. Hopefully the better filter and less air will help in the long run.

Thanks to all for the help and hints! :D

Attachments

#29 ·
Good job looks good glad to hear it came out good

Reactions: rocknmj
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.