GEARHEAD TUNES MPG - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2014, 07:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
GEARHEAD TUNES MPG

I just got Matts tunes a few weeks ago. I really like the tunes...but I noticed a significant drop in my mileage. I was getting around 14-15, now I get around 10-11. I do not get on it at all, ever. Just easy cruising. 99% interstate, 1% other.

I thought I would buff out, but 2500 miles later, and I still have a 20-30% drop in mileage.

I switched back to HS canned tunes to see if my mileage goes back up...maybe its the truck.

Has anyone else had an experience like this??

I have a F350 CC long bed. Heavy...transfer tank and tools for the oilfield
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2014, 08:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

are you just reading the dash or is this hand calculated. i got far better mileage with his tunes
Old 05-01-2014, 08:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hand calculated every time. Also I can maybe get 425 miles per tank now. Before, I was almost right at 600. I really like his tunes, I just wasn't sure about the MPG
Old 05-01-2014, 08:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

425 sounds right if you are burning 24-28 gallons a tank.

600 is pretty high unless you have a bigger or aftermarket tank.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have a 38 gallon tank.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:32 PM

How fast are you running? I get around 13.5mpg with his tunes (combined city and highway (60/40)). I dont get as good as my older IDP tunes but neither do my newer IDP tunes get what my older IDP tunes did. I do know that the tunes drop off pretty fast (like a rock) after about 1900 rpm, my older IDP tunes didnt do that. The spartan tunes also get better fuel mileage. It seems that tunes with more fueling at lower boost applications get better fuel mileage but they can be a little dirtier and have a touchy throttle (older IDP and Spartan). That may be why you are experiencing such a difference. Watch your boost gauge readings at the same cruising rpms between your H&S and Gearhead tunes and see what kinda psi difference there is.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:40 PM

oh wow big difference.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:59 AM
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I can't tell you experience on the GH, but just adding to what WB said, I have Spartan tunes, get about 14-15 around town or if I drive 75-85 everywhere. If I keep it below 70 (ie around 1850rpms) I got 20.1 (346 miles, 17.24 gallons) a few weeks back. (Now that was all highway from Houston to Dallas, thru a few small towns, and I also have a lighter truck. CCSB, 4x4). I think these trucks like the 1800rpm sweet spot...

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 05-02-2014, 06:18 AM

I just put on my summer wheels going from 31s to 33s and noticed a 1.5-2 mpg drop going from his Tow to Street tune, but my guess is it's from the wheels/tires not the tunes in my case.

I am going to go back to tow tune if this tank isn't better and see if it improves again. I wouldn't normally care but I commute a lot and until we move closer to work next month I'd like to save as much fuel money as I can. I haven't tried the hot street yet, but may even give that a go after I check out the tow tune.

I know we read about people getting all kinds of crazy mileage in mags, and online, but in reality I think a lot of them are BSing it.

FWIW Mine are always hand calculated and tracked in an online site so I can see where I am. High note is I am still way higher than my 6.0 was even with it's custom tunes.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:28 AM
Premium Member

I notice the same thing when i run gearhead tunes. I have the older IDP tunes and i can get 15.5-16 highway running IDP's Extreme Mild tune on my 37's. Same driving with my gearhead tunes, i'm geting about 13.5.

The IDP Extreme Street tunes gets me the best mileage.. but i'm not really looking for "good" mileage... not gonna happen with my truck. 6.4 + lift + 37's = Garbage mileage no matter what.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.