Upgrading LP Turbo - Opinions please - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By B585Ford

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2014, 05:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Upgrading LP Turbo - Opinions please

Just finishing up the assembly of my engine into the truck and was looking at my turbos...I honestly haven't touched them since they came off, just figured they would be in good shape.
Well... LP side has a little front to back movement, 0.04" or so. Hasn't touched the housing or anything however the exhaust side looks like it spent some time in the La Brea tar pits. It is backed on thick and hard. HP side is clean, so thinking I have a bad seal.
Anyhow, I could rebuild it, but I think I will take this opportunity to upgrade. I don't have lofty HP goals, intend on running stock fuel for the foreseeable future.
What is a good size to up the LP side to and still have good street manners?
thx in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2014, 09:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

I loved my Elite 71mm when I had my 6.4L. There are other options available though and they'll all do well on stock fuel. If I ever find myself in another 6.4, I would be doing either Elite's 76/59 High Power Jr setup or I would go with River City Diesel's 75/59 setup. The nice thing is, you could run both of the low pressure setups from those kits with the factory VGT. Several trucks are running those low pressure turbos with great success. Don't overlook Barder Turbo either. They have a few options as well.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Awesome, thx for the feedback. I will post up with what I decide shortly
Old 04-15-2014, 10:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I personally will probably go with the RCD 75mm
Old 04-15-2014, 04:58 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08stroker250 View Post
I loved my Elite 71mm when I had my 6.4L. There are other options available though and they'll all do well on stock fuel. If I ever find myself in another 6.4, I would be doing either Elite's 76/59 High Power Jr setup or I would go with River City Diesel's 75/59 setup. The nice thing is, you could run both of the low pressure setups from those kits with the factory VGT. Several trucks are running those low pressure turbos with great success. Don't overlook Barder Turbo either. They have a few options as well.
I agree with Jeff on this one. My Elite 71 treated me great and had great street manners....and it really did well when towing. On stock fuel, really anything from a 71 to 76 are great options even with the stock VGT....really just depends on your budget and goals. All of them will give you a definite improvement in powa and lower EGTs. Barder offers the most economical choices in general and everyone that has one of their turbos have been very happy with it. I am pretty sure I will be going with Barder when I upgrade my VGT. For the 75/76 size, your only choices are RCD 75 or Elite's JHP 76. Personally, based on my previous experiences, I feel more comfortable running an Elite/Precision wheel. The RCD turbo used a different turbine which they claim will keep EBPs lower, but I have never seen any data to confirm or deny that claim. 1 reviewer of JHP seemed to very meticulous noting all mods, etc. stated his JHP actually ran lower EBPs than his Elite 72 (the only difference was the atmo turbo). The only other point I would add it that theoretically, the smaller you go, the more durable it should be because the stock housing is still used...I have never seen any data to confirm or deny this either though.
GSchretter likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to B585Ford For This Useful Post:
04hdfatboy (04-16-2014)
Old 04-16-2014, 06:12 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

^^ good info Brett. You are making me reconsider the elite 76 JHP I will also be going with barder for the 59 HP turbo
Old 04-17-2014, 06:18 PM
Premium Member

OP,

It sounds like you are wanting to stay modest on this one so here is some real world. My truck never saw a dyno, never pulled a sled, and never has seen the strip. I would have to go back and check my logs, but I put around 30k miles on my Elite 71 and about 24k were hooked to a trailer when I was hot shotting. My truck isn't optimal for heavy towing (F350 SRW with 3.73s and 35s). I typically grossed 28-32k lbs when loaded. That was in a lot of mountains (total elevation was generally less than 6k) but a lot of 4-7% grades (for miles) on the Interstate. Running a tow tune, I never had my EGTs get too warm. I rarely saw 1200 and never got above 1300. Because my EOTs would get hot, especially if I downshifted out of OD, I tried to stay in OD as much as possible which is definitely not optimal for EGT control. Bottom line, the 71 (along with my other mods) did great and I never had a problem with it. I don't have any other first hand similar size turbos to compare, but that was my experience with Elites 71. Hope that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.