Why not use water/meth system... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By 08stroker250

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2014, 05:55 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Why not use water/meth system...

If the cost didn't matter and the install was free would you install a water /meth system.

Gas mileage increase is BS (IMO) and the cost of the mix is not cheap.

But wouldn't you want to use it to help keep down EGT?

I guess I'm asking what are your thoughts.
Some guys who have their trucks tune up high and rag the crap out it said they would never.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2014, 06:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

There have been tests that have proven EGT's won't drop, even just using water. Diesel Power did a test a few years back using a tuned 6.4L. Some say that too much methanol will cause valve stem wear. I personally just don't see the point in running a kit given the testing that has been done.
GSchretter and Heavy_GD like this.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSchretter View Post
If the cost didn't matter and the install was free would you install a water /meth system.

Gas mileage increase is BS (IMO) and the cost of the mix is not cheap.

But wouldn't you want to use it to help keep down EGT?

I guess I'm asking what are your thoughts.
Some guys who have their trucks tune up high and rag the crap out it said they would never.
I have 2009 F-250 and a Snow Performance Water meth kit on it. It brought my EGTs down several hundred degrees when running pulling wide open passes. No idea what the magazine was doing that they didn't gain anything, but I'm glad I have it. I also dynoed on my last engine and running a 50/50 mix I gained 34 RWHP on the dyno while spraying vs not, before all the mods I have now. I really like mine and it's on a 6.4L so yes it does everything it's suppose to just like on all the other diesels that have had good results with it.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:11 AM
Premium Member

I remember the article Jeff was referring to. The test seemed to be well thought out and the results were water/meth didn't do much as he said. It is interesting that someone else would have such different results. I would like to see data logs with it turned on and off cause I have no good explanation as to why there appears to be such different results with the same system.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:14 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Personally I don't 100% trust product testing done by magazines that make their money by advertising different companies products. The hydrogen generator comes to mind that a magazine said had huge fuel mileage increases but it came out later that the test vehicle had a second hidden fuel tank that was switched to during the tests.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 05-28-2014, 07:20 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Term3 View Post
Personally I don't 100% trust product testing done by magazines that make their money by advertising different companies products. The hydrogen generator comes to mind that a magazine said had huge fuel mileage increases but it came out later that the test vehicle had a second hidden fuel tank that was switched to during the tests.

Agreed, except in this case the magazine said it did NOT help. IIRC Mike D was one of the testers and he doesn't work for the mag.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:18 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by B585Ford View Post
Agreed, except in this case the magazine said it did NOT help. IIRC Mike D was one of the testers and he doesn't work for the mag.
Maybe the maker of the water injection kit canceled their advertising contract with the magazine. LOL

Old 05-29-2014, 12:34 PM

I can only tell you what I experienced with my 6.4 and the kit isn't adding a ton of power that they all advertise but it does add some and it does lower my EGTs. They don't pay me to say it and I had to pay for my kit. Glad I have it and I wouldn't take it off as I like it that much. I'm running a 50/50 mix that I buy straight methanol in a 5 gallon gas can. I buy 2 1/2 gallons of methanol and then add 2 1/2 gallons of water. That's what I run. It's way cheaper that way than buying their pre made 50% mix in gallon containers.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by B585Ford View Post
yep, we used water only, and the EGT did not drop whatsoever.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:33 PM

How much were you spraying? Do you know what nozzles sizes they were using and how many nozzles total were used? I don't get why I have gotten good results but you all didn't. I also have dyno sheets showing a 34 RWHP pick up when spraying vs not. 534 no spray, 566 while spraying. This was when I was just deleted, intake, exhaust, and tuner.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.