Losing MPG's..... Help!!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2014, 10:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Losing MPG's..... Help!!!!

It seems since I've been having my truck, the MPG have been slowing declining, when I drove the truck home from buying it used, it said 15 on the dash But since than its been getting worst, I was down to 10.3 So I added & H&S tuner no change in any setting, And I have been driving it pretty easy, Ok Last weekend I added An No limits CAI now I'm down to 10.2 Its got 35's and a 3" lift but other than what I mentioned that's it. Will changing out the exhaust make that much of an improvement Its gotta help RIGHT!!!! What else can I do for MPG's? Besides parking the thing. Dang
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2014, 10:47 AM

Delete the dpf and make sure you have a tuner capable of doing that, delete the EGR, and when you tune your truck run one of the higher hp tunes like the 300HD The timing and fuel maps with those are the most efficient. Keep your foot out of it and you'll see an improvement. The 6.4 will never get great mpg's but with the mods listed along with the ones you have you could expect 15 to 17 mpg's. Also the mpg monitor on the dash is notoriously incorrect. Try doing some hand calculations to get a true mpg number.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:04 PM

Yea, the tuner is capable of doing it. I also want to delete the EGR. i know thats no Mileage gainer but... I guess i better do the exhaust next. also want to put the Air Dog system on there too. other that that ... thats about all i want to do
Thanks
Old 04-08-2014, 12:04 PM

Do you do a lot of idling? Mostly city driving? With the mods Kris listed I would say you may can get in the 13mpg range if you are averaging 10mpg.. Its a tuner/dpf delete/ and intake, not a miracle.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:27 AM
Premium Member

Those numbers (if accurate) seem a little low unless you do a lot of stop and go driving or have a heavy right foot. How often does it go into regen?
To answer your question, yes, you need to do the exhaust. Deleting the DPF should make a difference.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:23 AM

you also need to quit relying on ANYTHING the gauge has to say.

You don't need a full exhaust - you can go on Craigslist and buy a delete pipe for 75 bucks and spend about 30 minutes removing the DPF and your mileage will go up, but as said it is just hard parts, not a miracle and make DAMN sure your tuner is dpf delete capable.

I went from about 10.5-11 to north of 13 in my 4X4 dually and I do a LOT of idling (About 50% according to my Nav system). On the highway you can get much better mileage at certain speeds...
Old 04-10-2014, 10:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Make sure you change your tire size on your tuner. That could be why your dash is showing such low mpg. As others have said make sure you hand calculate it.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:50 AM

I don't have to do the hand cals. I'm filling up 1 a week and I'm not driving that far, I did the tire cals also Its just Horrible on fuel, Next is the exhaust. Look I knew that I wasn't buying a mileage buster but 10mpg's that's not to good My 7.3 got 15+ loaded or unloaded. with the same size tires, basically the same set up. I at least thought by getting the H & S tuner and the No limit intake I'd get at least I boost in mpg. quite the opposite it went down. we'll see after I do the exhaust
Old 04-14-2014, 05:55 AM

SORRY JUST GETTING ACK TO MY CPU. no I don't do a lot of idling, my commute is 50% highway, And I don't put my foot in it , lately I've been babying the crap out of it 65mph on the highway just to see. not looking for a miracle just maybe 13mpg 15 would be a miracle. I've tried all the different setting on the tuner still the same.
Thanks all
Old 04-14-2014, 06:22 AM
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
How far is your commute Richard? The thing about the 6.4 is the compound turbos add a lot of air to the system (and hence more fuel is put in it). It is also programmed to get to temp as fast as possible (a DPF thing. I know you don't have that, but it's still programming). So it puts more fuel in to get you warm faster (also poorer MPGs). I noticed a decent bump in mileage when I started starting my truck 5-10 min before I left to try to get the oil/coolant temps above 120-150 before I left in the morning (min I try to break 100). Diesels don't burn a lot of fuel when they idle. I also use my high idle when I'm warming it up.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.