700 mile trip and great MPG's - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2014, 11:57 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
700 mile trip and great MPG's

Well I thought I should post and give a little bit of hope to other 6.4L owners. My super-duty now has 212k+ miles and I just got back from an almost 1400 mile trip from Las Cruces, NM to Fort Collins, Co. and back to Cruces. I was able to achieve 20+ mpg with 3 passengers including myself, luggage and a light load.

An observation I made was that driving habits really do matter, and before anyone assumes I am being sexist be aware that I said driving habits! from the three of us driving, there was one girl. We had the best mileage out of the guys driving, the funniest part was that she (the girl) wanted to look for the cheapest diesel through the trip and when we first filled up when she was driving I told her we need diesel, it was so funny when she replied "This truck is diesel?!" Thank God I was awake when we stopped at the gas station to fill, my great performing truck could have been destroyed if she had put gasoline in the tank I Like her, shes a great friend, but 300 mi into the trip I thought she would have known it was Diesel and a quick note: the girl was the one with the driving habits that gave us the worst mileage. we were lucky to see 20 mpg when she was driving, as well as being a passing lane driver, could not figure out the space rocket buttons on the dash oh man, I like that girl, she looked so cute when she would swerve to turn on the wipers or the headlights.

I want to put a leveling kit or a lift on the truck to at least customize it a little more than just a headache rack and a tool box that I have on her, but I really like the great fuel mileage it's giving me on these long trips I've been taking lately

Another thing I noticed was the large smile my friends got on their face when the truck will pass vehicle with ease and drove through the Colorado snow smoothly. And my friends decided that my truck be named Sno-white, they fell in love with my truck If God permits I will like to see Sno-white get to the 300k mile mark!

Last edited by '086.4LDiEsEl'; 04-08-2014 at 12:06 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2014, 09:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Very encouraging lol! I'm on pins and needles when I drive mine! Any major repairs done? I have the exact same truck with 185k miles (5160 hrs)...

David
Old 04-09-2014, 09:31 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by '086.4LDiEsEl' View Post
Well I thought I should post and give a little bit of hope to other 6.4L owners. My super-duty now has 212k+ miles and I just got back from an almost 1400 mile trip from Las Cruces, NM to Fort Collins, Co. and back to Cruces. I was able to achieve 20+ mpg with 3 passengers including myself, luggage and a light load.

An observation I made was that driving habits really do matter, and before anyone assumes I am being sexist be aware that I said driving habits! from the three of us driving, there was one girl. We had the best mileage out of the guys driving, the funniest part was that she (the girl) wanted to look for the cheapest diesel through the trip and when we first filled up when she was driving I told her we need diesel, it was so funny when she replied "This truck is diesel?!" Thank God I was awake when we stopped at the gas station to fill, my great performing truck could have been destroyed if she had put gasoline in the tank I Like her, shes a great friend, but 300 mi into the trip I thought she would have known it was Diesel and a quick note: the girl was the one with the driving habits that gave us the worst mileage. we were lucky to see 20 mpg when she was driving, as well as being a passing lane driver, could not figure out the space rocket buttons on the dash oh man, I like that girl, she looked so cute when she would swerve to turn on the wipers or the headlights.

I want to put a leveling kit or a lift on the truck to at least customize it a little more than just a headache rack and a tool box that I have on her, but I really like the great fuel mileage it's giving me on these long trips I've been taking lately

Another thing I noticed was the large smile my friends got on their face when the truck will pass vehicle with ease and drove through the Colorado snow smoothly. And my friends decided that my truck be named Sno-white, they fell in love with my truck If God permits I will like to see Sno-white get to the 300k mile mark!
Was that hand calced?
Old 04-09-2014, 09:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to thomas5853
What speed did you have set on the cruise control? When climbing those hills, did you stay on it? I get around 17-18 on flat ground doing under 70 unloaded.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 04-10-2014, 10:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

This sounds like a case of the lie-o-meter...
Heavy_GD likes this.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:56 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08stroker250 View Post
I knew it would happen, but I've been playing catchup right now in my engineering classes so I haven't had time to log on and respond.

Just really brief, The best tank I was able to achieve pushing my truck to the limit (because I wanted to see how far I could get on a tank), I was able to get 603miles on 28 gallons, giving me 21.53 mpg. I was able to get about 20 mpg depending how I drove the truck and the high teens. worst tank I got was 12 mpg

I apologize guys, I've been happy with my truck thus far, and it has been reliable which is great, I read positive and negative post on the forum and my post was mainly to give some hope on the mileage I have on my truck. I have 212k+ miles and the last time I checked I have around 6.5k hours clocked on the engine hours.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:00 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas5853 View Post
What speed did you have set on the cruise control? When climbing those hills, did you stay on it? I get around 17-18 on flat ground doing under 70 unloaded.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
My speed was set on 75-80mph cruise control. I was able to to achieve the best mileage with cruise at or under 70 mph, and obviously I was able to achieve the worst of all mileage at 90-100mph when the girl that was driving wanted to pass cars
Old 04-11-2014, 03:11 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSRacer View Post
Very encouraging lol! I'm on pins and needles when I drive mine! Any major repairs done? I have the exact same truck with 185k miles (5160 hrs)...

David
The only repairs that I know of from the top of my head are, the transmission at 65k I think?? miles under warranty (its been a while), the tensioner in January 2014, and the worst!; had a blowout on the rear drivers side tire , but damage fixed with insurance summer 2013. oh, and a coolant line that many of us have had to replace for leaking issues back in 2011 or 2012.

I bought the truck new back in 2008, test drove with 7 miles bought with 35 miles I put in it. If everything survives on this truck past 300k I will pass it down to my youngest brother
Old 04-11-2014, 03:13 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08stroker250 View Post
By the way, lie-o-meter was giving me a 30 avg mpg
That fuel mileage would really be nice
Old 04-11-2014, 04:59 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by '086.4LDiEsEl' View Post
By the way, lie-o-meter was giving me a 30 avg mpg
That fuel mileage would really be nice
Your truck is a freak!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.