whats a good tuner for the 6.4 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2014, 05:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
whats a good tuner for the 6.4

I just picked up a 08 f450 and i wanna get the dpf delete a intake and the egr delete also but what a good tune for the dpf delete just want about 60 to 75 hp tune just using it to tow my boat.. and thanks new to the 6.4 was a 6.0 guy so not scared to work on them myself
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2014, 06:33 AM
Bump To Pass!!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainkid101 View Post
I just picked up a 08 f450 and i wanna get the dpf delete a intake and the egr delete also but what a good tune for the dpf delete just want about 60 to 75 hp tune just using it to tow my boat.. and thanks new to the 6.4 was a 6.0 guy so not scared to work on them myself
Uh Huh...Sure...

Thats how it starts!!

I can tell you that I have installed sevral H&S tuners on deleted 6.4 and I run a spartan. Those in my opinion are the only 2 options to go with. They both give you a wide range of tuning, starting at stock all the way up to 350+ extra HP. The H&S is more user friendly. It is also shift on the fly if you get the right one. There are a ton of threads about which is better. There is a running conncensus that the spartan has worse shifting, but I love mine. Is it firmer than the H&S you bet but I like it. I also dyno and track my rigs so I am used to hard shifts.

Either one is a good option. It comes down to prefrences. I will tell you the most annoying thing about the spartan is it doesnt turn on with the key. You have to power it on manually everytime you get in the truck if you want to monitor things. You can set it to auto off but it wont auto on.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Love my h&s
Old 04-05-2014, 05:40 PM

It's also going to depend on your budget for the tuner. H&S mini maxx will run you about 2k new or around $1,500 used. Spartan is $1,500 new and about $1K used after relicense. If you can find a used sct 3015R or 9625OR those are also around $1k. But offer no monitoring like spartan and H&S do. There is something called dpf-r that's around $500 but I don't believe it allows for removal of the EGR valve but does turn it off from my understanding. Me personally I run spartan and love it. The shifting is a little rough if you run the 250 and up tunes but it smooths out big time with the miles.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Look at the SCT tuners if your trying to save some money. Best bang for the buck & the custom tuning can't be beat.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:21 PM

Spartan, is what I have. I have never ran sct or h&s on my 6.4 . Had sct on my 6.4 but it wasnt an option I went for with this truck. I personally don't care about the shift on the fly set up, couldn't do it with the sct on the 6.0 so why care now.lol
Old 04-05-2014, 08:57 PM

I have run SCT (gearhead) then went to Spartan, then to H&S, sold the H&S. Run Spartan most of the time as to run my SCT w/gearhead I have to change out my TCM as I run a Spartan TCM and that is somewhat of a hassle so mainly keep the Spartan loadeed (275) the shifting on Spartan is right on in my opinion but I also run PMF trac bars so shifting harsh is not noticed, but either way in my opinion either SCT/gearhead tunes and or Spartan. But again all 3 are top notch and you can't go wrong, comes down to the amount of dollars you want to part with.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:37 AM

Take a look at the general 6.4 mods write up in the general 6.4 discussion area. Everything you need to know is in there

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 04-06-2014, 06:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

a week ago I did dpf&egr deletes with the sct livewire I've not gotten my truck outta the driveway It surges when It is put under load in all 5 tunes. (sucks)
I've been in touch with the programmer he says it my truck an not his tunes any thoughts anyone else had this problem? Here I sit 08 450 in need of help
Old 04-06-2014, 06:35 PM

Can you put to a some what stock set up? Like stock dpf off tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.