Gearbox Z DPF-R 4.0+ - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2014, 01:13 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gearbox Z DPF-R 4.0+

Hello Everyone,
Long time lurker, first time poster here. I have a 2009 F350 6.4L SRW CC. Just passed 68,000 on the odometer, but I just went out of warranty (5 years went by quick). Since I have owned the truck, I started reading posts here and made up my mind that when I was out of warranty, the DPF would be the first thing to go!!
I settled on the DPF-R 4.0+ Programmer from Gearbox Z along with an AFE CAT/DPF delete pipe. I was not looking to make a lot of power, as I tow a 14,000lb 5th wheel camper...I was looking for something relatively inexpensive that would just stop the regen process. Maybe down the line, Ill look into something that adds a little more power, but for now, this will do.
So, a few days ago, I enlisted a friend who is a mechanic to help me with the install. As far as the programmer, it is very easy. Plug it in, follow the voice prompts, and 15 min later, you're done. I used the stock power tune, no regen.
Now, taking off the DPF was a bit more difficult (for me). The two bolts at the downpipe were pretty rusty, but we were able to get them off. The clamp that is right behind the DPF was rusted and we ended up cutting the whole clamp off... had to get a new one. If you are going to do this, follow everyone else's advice and use a ratchet strap to pull apart the DPF and the muffler pipe. Came right apart. I also bought all new sensors, as they were impossible to get them out of the stock pipe. One other thing, we took the exhaust hangers right off of the frame, instead of prying the DPF hangers out. We reinstalled them with the new pipe.
Once everything was installed, I started it up and took it for a test drive. Everything seemed OK, and so far, after a few days, things seem to be running smoothly. I don't have any hard mileage calculations yet, but I'll keep an eye on it.
I was really on the fence about doing anything to the truck, as I am not mechanically inclined, and this is my first diesel. So far, I am glad I did this and will keep you updated if I have any problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2014, 02:04 PM

Good to hear... I just did the DPF/Cat delete in my driveway this weekend as well. Took about an hour and a half and everything went smooth thanks to reading a bunch of threads prior to starting. I was going to go with the DPF-r plus at one point but ended up with a XRT pro.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Jab - if you have the DPFR+ 4.0 you have the option of adding 70HP while deleting the DPF and turning off the EGR. Since you regularly tow I'd recommend selecting that option. You'll love the extra power and it won't effect your MPG.

Just my $.02 worth of opinion.
The Following User Says Thank You to mhutch2 For This Useful Post:
jab108 (03-31-2014)
Old 03-31-2014, 05:00 PM

mhutch,
I was thinking about going that route...I was just a little nervous adding any power while pulling the camper...going from CT to South Carolina in a few weeks. I may give it a shot though...
Battleborn,
Glad your install went well...I was originally interested in the H&S and should have got it before they discontinued the race tuners, but I waited, and well, the price just skyrocketed. I agree about reading all of the threads beforehand and all of the good information there.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:51 PM
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Don't worry about adding 70 horse. I've been on the +300 tune for over 30k miles. Still running like a champ. Only problem I have at the moment is a leaky radiator but that's completely unrelated.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-31-2014, 07:46 PM
Emergency Services

I have the dpf + with the 70 hp installed and pull my 30 ft bumper pull all over the place with no issues, only thing i dont like about the tune is it shifts out to OD really fast when your not using tow haul, but I'm also averaging 20 mpg as a daily driver, wether its because of that or not IDk, just my .02 cents
The Following User Says Thank You to 6.4L-NREMT-P For This Useful Post:
jab108 (04-01-2014)
Old 04-01-2014, 02:58 AM

Thanks Guys, I think that I will try out the economy tune and see how that goes.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to thomas5853
Has anyone heard anything on the GBZ-Tachyon Plus Tuner for Ford 6.4L or the Tachyon tuner? I am debating on which one of these to go with.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:29 PM
Premium Member

I just installed the Gearbox Z DPF-R 4.0+ programmer on my welding rig...weighs 12,720 lbs...I couldn't take the DPF crap anymore ...I was getting 8-9 mpg...now I'm getting 15 mpg...the power is way more than I hoped for...thanks to all that posted information about Gearbox Z...I wished I would have installed it when it was new...Thanks again...RJS
Old 04-18-2014, 08:29 PM
Premium Member

Jab,
I highly recommend getting something to use for a monitor and then monitor your gauges so you KNOW that everything is within a safe range. Before I got GH's tow tune, I use to run canned H&S tunes. I ran Mild a lot which I think was about a 70+ tune when towing and was I hauling usually somewhere between 18-24k (grossing over 30k) lbs with a SRW running 3.73s on 35s so I doubt using the 70+ tune will hurt anything, but when you have gauges, you will KNOW if anything is getting out of hand. For my setup, EOTs were really the only thing I had to watch.
The Following User Says Thank You to B585Ford For This Useful Post:
jab108 (04-20-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.