Performance Upgrades Advice - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-28-2014, 10:01 AM
Strom Troopin' Stroker
 

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Argyle, TX
Posts: 102
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Performance Upgrades Advice

Seeking advice on a few things: I recently came into a good sum of money from an insurance claim on my other vehicle and since the damage to the other vehicle is quite minimal and does not affect its ability to get me from point A to point B (though i may not look so great doing so). I have done research for my 2008 Ford F350 6.4 Powerstroke and found a few different things that i haven't already done. To recap-- I already have a DPF/CAT/EGR delete, AFE intake, and an SCT Tuner (canned tunes, will be getting customs with this money for sure). The things i have researched are Stage II injectors, which will probably need studded heads and new rods and a built transmission. Both are fairly expensive, so essentially what I'm asking is: Should i do one of these upgrades or is there some others involving less cash and time away from my truck (tears me apart)? Or will these be the best thing to do and just suck it up, fork over the money and time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 03-28-2014, 10:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor



 

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 8,780
Thanks: 4
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I would modify the air side of things before the fuel side. Billet rods aren't really necessary on a 6.4 unless you're making stupid power. If you upgrade the injectors, you're going to want to upgrade the rest of the fuel system (dual fuelers and the low pressure side). At that point, turbo upgrades are going to be necessary because the stock turbos won't be efficient with the added fuel.

My suggestion is to upgrade the turbos, do head studs, beef up the transmission a little, and upgrade the other odd and end things on the air side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 03-28-2014, 10:13 AM
Strom Troopin' Stroker
 

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Argyle, TX
Posts: 102
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
so high pressure fuel pump, new turbo, and what else to go hand in hand with those things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 03-28-2014, 10:15 AM
Let's Run'em


 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 17,720
Thanks: 4
Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TwinTurboStroker
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08StormTrooper View Post
Seeking advice on a few things: I recently came into a good sum of money from an insurance claim on my other vehicle and since the damage to the other vehicle is quite minimal and does not affect its ability to get me from point A to point B (though i may not look so great doing so). I have done research for my 2008 Ford F350 6.4 Powerstroke and found a few different things that i haven't already done. To recap-- I already have a DPF/CAT/EGR delete, AFE intake, and an SCT Tuner (canned tunes, will be getting customs with this money for sure). The things i have researched are Stage II injectors, which will probably need studded heads and new rods and a built transmission. Both are fairly expensive, so essentially what I'm asking is: Should i do one of these upgrades or is there some others involving less cash and time away from my truck (tears me apart)? Or will these be the best thing to do and just suck it up, fork over the money and time?
Well.....you have the basics in bolt-ons, but you seem to be all over the place with your next step in mods. Not quite sure what you mean by stage 2 injectors, but before you go there, I would get the truck ready for that next set up in power, so it can handle it. I wouldn't worry too much about rods, if you are talking about connecting rods, push rods might be an issue at high RPM, as I've bent a few myself. But that can be controlled with your head and right foot, all that being said.......

Not sure what $$$ you are looking to spend, but there is still power to be gained with the stock injectors, as the stock fuel pump can't keep up, and on high HP tunes the fuel rails gets drained, which in the long run is no bueno. So I'd run a fuel pump and get that transmission built, and head studs between those three.....its good way to spend some serious cash, but you'll also have peace of mind that truck should be able to handle the power you want to throw at it. Let us know if you can help you out with anything of those parts you are looking at!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 03-28-2014, 10:24 AM
Strom Troopin' Stroker
 

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Argyle, TX
Posts: 102
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks Julian, that sounds like a pretty solid approach at this. Will probably do a fuel pump upgrade, begin researching built transmission, and while in the shop for the fuel pump go ahead and get some push rods put in there. You're on point in saying its a good way to throw down some cash. Will update on decisions regarding specific parts, etc. Once again, appreciate the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 03-28-2014, 10:30 AM
Let's Run'em


 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 17,720
Thanks: 4
Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TwinTurboStroker
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08StormTrooper View Post
Thanks Julian, that sounds like a pretty solid approach at this. Will probably do a fuel pump upgrade, begin researching built transmission, and while in the shop for the fuel pump go ahead and get some push rods put in there. You're on point in saying its a good way to throw down some cash. Will update on decisions regarding specific parts, etc. Once again, appreciate the help.
Sounds good bud
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 03-28-2014, 10:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 4,312
Thanks: 15
Thanked 68 Times in 66 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08stroker250 View Post
I would modify the air side of things before the fuel side. Billet rods aren't really necessary on a 6.4 unless you're making stupid power. If you upgrade the injectors, you're going to want to upgrade the rest of the fuel system (dual fuelers and the low pressure side). At that point, turbo upgrades are going to be necessary because the stock turbos won't be efficient with the added fuel.

My suggestion is to upgrade the turbos, do head studs, beef up the transmission a little, and upgrade the other odd and end things on the air side.
I agree completely. Air upgrades first. I would do what Jeff suggested and also a ported intake manifold, 6.0 exhaust manifolds and up pipes, CAC cold side pipe and maybe some other things while the cabs off (lifters, rocker arms, pushrods, idler pulleys, belt tensioners, updated radiator hoses, t stats).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 03-31-2014, 09:47 PM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: West By God Virginia
Posts: 1,711
Thanks: 31
Thanked 69 Times in 63 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I agree with everyone else....do air first and if someday that isn't enough, look at fuel. As already mentioned, the problem with going to bigger injectors is you will have to upgrade every component of your fuel system to optimize their performance. This would mean a complete LP system (Air Dog, FASS, Aeromotive, or Fuel Lab). Then you would have to modify the high pressure side. The only reliable way to modify the high pressure side is to go to dual fuelers. There is only 1 option for the 6.4 as far as a modified HP pump are concerned....the II dragonfire. The dragonfires are notorious for ch#ttin to bed and when they do, they tend to take your injectors. IMO, the dragonfire is a poor option. Personally, even though it won't give any additionally power, I think a LP system upgrade would be a good idea. That upgrade should help protect your HPFP and when these fail, it can be a PIA....ask me how I know.
Anyways, so what to do now....a tranny upgrade will be eventually be needed. If you don't do it now, make sure you have enough money saved to do the upgrade when it dies. Head studs are nice insurance and they are an excellent opportunity to do upgrades (cause the cab will be off). Personally, IMO if you lift the heads, I would go ahead and upgrade the push rods and valve springs. I would also replace the rockers and lifters (with OEM). I wouldt definitely swap to 6.0 exh manny and heavy duty up pipes. I would also look at upgrading your turbos (or at least the Atmo turbo). After a tuner, the atmo turbo upgrade is the best bang for the buck to get more power. It also lowers EGTs too. After that, you have to decide what your budget is and how far you want to go. As to which turbo, it depends on your budget.....but a 71, 72, 73, 75, or 76 are all good options. A ported intake manny is also a nice upgrade. Like Fatboy said, do all of the little things while the cab is up...T-stats, tensioner, etc. Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 04-01-2014, 07:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 4,312
Thanks: 15
Thanked 68 Times in 66 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hey Brett I am debating getting a 59mm HP turbo. Do you think that would be a good upgrade? Do you think I would see better results from a 59mm HP turbo or getting maybe a 72 or 73 atmo turbo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 04-01-2014, 10:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor



 

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 8,780
Thanks: 4
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
You'll see way more out of a low pressure turbo upgrade if you're considering one or the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Tags
advice, horsepower, parts, perfomance, upgrades

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors