Starting Fuel Economy Mods? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2014, 06:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Starting Fuel Economy Mods?

I recently bought a nice '08 f-250 with a 6.4l V8 32v engine. I want to know if there are any mods I can add to the engine to make sure I can get the best fuel economy I can, and also, to make sure the engine will last as long as possible!! I had some bad experiences with a Duramax engine recently, and hope to get any tips to help ensure maximum fuel economy, engine life, and all around performance!

I've heard of water-methanol injection, also, but not sure if this is an option at 128k miles....Thanks!

Last edited by RyanBdorff; 03-22-2014 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2014, 06:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Depends on your budget for mods. You can delete the dpf with a race pipe and a dpf-r for 700ish or you can go all out with full exhaust, spartan tuner or H&S tuner, EGR delete and intake that will run you around 2500-2800ish depending on brand you go with for each mod. My advice is browse around the forum read some threads about the tuners and supporting mods. I did 2 months of research before I bought my stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kris 6.4 For This Useful Post:
RyanBdorff (03-22-2014)
Old 03-22-2014, 06:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris 6.4 View Post
Depends on your budget for mods. You can delete the dpf with a race pipe and a dpf-r for 700ish or you can go all out with full exhaust, spartan tuner or H&S tuner, EGR delete and intake that will run you around 2500-2800ish depending on brand you go with for each mod. My advice is browse around the forum read some threads about the tuners and supporting mods. I did 2 months of research before I bought my stuff.
Thank you! I will take a look around.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

No problem, if you have any more questions feel free to PM me. I'm not an expert by any means but I learned a ton off this site about everything needed as well as pros and cons. Good luck in your research. Also just noticed your in CO they have emissions testing there and deleting the dpf or EGR will cause you to not pass as well as possibly get you in trouble with the law.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kris 6.4 For This Useful Post:
RyanBdorff (03-22-2014)
Old 03-23-2014, 05:26 AM
Premium Member

Delete, tune and CAI. Read over Country Aggie sticky in the General section...it will give you a lot info in general and about weak links on the 6.4
The Following User Says Thank You to B585Ford For This Useful Post:
RyanBdorff (03-23-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 04:59 AM
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Also realize that getting good fuel mileage takes a lot of discipline in such a large truck. From my experience the 6.4s get the worst fuel economy of almost all the diesel motors (comparing all motors after emissions equipment go MIA). But they are the easiest to get power out of up to around 600-650. Running hotter tunes (and keeping your foot out of the skinny pedal) will bet better MPG, making your aerodynamics better (ie narrow tires, lower truck, bed cover) will increase MPG, lightening the truck will increase it, and making the engine more efficient (ie easier air in (intake, removing and kinks in tubing like the CAC, a freer flowing intercooler, keeping under hood temps down by wrapping pipes/turbos) and air out (removing restrictions in downpipe, exhaust, etc)) will increase your MPGs as well.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
The Following User Says Thank You to CountryAggie For This Useful Post:
RyanBdorff (03-24-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 05:01 AM

Also there are many many knowledgeable people on this forum. Don't be afraid to ask any questions. There are lots of people doing basic mods and I there's like B585 who know the inside and out of a 6.4 because they are tearing deep into them in pursuit of longevity and power... (However you want to balance those goals are up to you lol)

Old 03-24-2014, 06:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryAggie View Post
Also there are many many knowledgeable people on this forum. Don't be afraid to ask any questions. There are lots of people doing basic mods and I there's like B585 who know the inside and out of a 6.4 because they are tearing deep into them in pursuit of longevity and power... (However you want to balance those goals are up to you lol)

Do you have a suggestion on where to start? I read the first thread by you in the General 6.4 section (thanks to B585). Should i follow the modifications in order the way you have them? Or are some of those unnessecary? From what i read, i think it would be great if i could get all of those at least down to EGR delete. I got the truck about 4 days ago, and still have been worried about doing anything until i KNOW what im doing. Any starting points even before i think about those mods?
Old 03-24-2014, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanBdorff View Post
Do you have a suggestion on where to start? I read the first thread by you in the General 6.4 section (thanks to B585). Should i follow the modifications in order the way you have them? Or are some of those unnessecary? From what i read, i think it would be great if i could get all of those at least down to EGR delete. I got the truck about 4 days ago, and still have been worried about doing anything until i KNOW what im doing. Any starting points even before i think about those mods?

In general I would start with your realistic goals, decide what you are going to use the truck for, honestly evaluate how aggressive your right foot is, and decide what your budget is going to be (this part and the power goals can get out of hand real quick. I actually looked up what all I have in my mods and what I'm looking at putting into it to get to my eventual goal of a 700HP daily driver... It's kinda staggering).

I would say at the very least start with a tuner, exhaust (whether delete pipe of full exhaust is entirely up to you), and EGR delete. Depending on your tune you might not need the CAI (basically above +200).

From there it depends in your use.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:34 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryAggie View Post
In general I would start with your realistic goals, decide what you are going to use the truck for, honestly evaluate how aggressive your right foot is, and decide what your budget is going to be (this part and the power goals can get out of hand real quick. I actually looked up what all I have in my mods and what I'm looking at putting into it to get to my eventual goal of a 700HP daily driver... It's kinda staggering).

I would say at the very least start with a tuner, exhaust (whether delete pipe of full exhaust is entirely up to you), and EGR delete. Depending on your tune you might not need the CAI (basically above +200).

From there it depends in your use.

You are approaching this all wrong...I guess its the engineer in you. What you need to do is do the mods in steps preferably every time something breaks...a couple grand here, a couple grand there, next thing you know you got 700 ponies ready to roll...then it doesn't feel so damn expensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.