Spartan Experience's - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2014, 08:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Spartan Experience's

Hey guys, I just went from an XRT to Spartan tunning with the nDash module on my '09. I do not like it one bit, but i am willing to wait it out and hear what ya'll have to say before i go a different rout with it.

I tried the 300 tune and the motor seemed to handle it pretty well, but the transmission hated it. I did the re learn like the sticky suggested and added 1/2Q of ATF, and it didnt seem to clear up after doing so. I have only put around 20 miles on the tune. I spoke with spartan and they advised me to drive on it for 7-10 days and it should adapt to my driving habits. Has anyone else noticed the transmission shift better after driving on it a little while? This thing tosses me around in my seat trying to find the next gear. From 40mph and up, i can stomp on it and it does pretty good. but from a dead stop, it slams and revs high before going into the next gear. My xrt with the transmission tunning was a lot smoother. Any ideas?

Also, how does a guy just get use to the injector rattle in the 310 and higher tunes? I know its not harming the motor, but it sure doesnt sound healthy. Any input will be much appreciated. I know Spartan does good work, because i read up on a lot of sites that people love it. I WANT to love it, just want to know if im doing something wrong here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2014, 08:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

traction bars and should get better with time
Old 03-21-2014, 08:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

The transmission should shift more consistent and smooth after about 100 miles or so.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

ive got traction bars (pro comp) although i hate the traction bars. I get some vibration at low speeds and a faster vibration when i stop on it at higher speeds after installing the Tbars. but thats for a different thread. I will try it out and see how it shifts over time. I just dont want to be driving around a truck that is so uncomfortable to drive all the time.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

For me I liked the h&s trans tuning over spartans trans tuning. Spartans shifts where to harsh for me and I had traction bars to. For a dd I would go back to h&s or run a 210 or under tune on the spartan as the 210 had good shifting

Last edited by wired1; 03-21-2014 at 09:20 PM.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:30 AM

I'm running the 250EL tune shifts great, firm but no issues with the rev slam. Give it some time and miles. Mine never had the rev slam issue but I can say that after 120 miles it smoothed out even more.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:12 AM
Bump To Pass!!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
In for this thread. I just picked up a spartan this week for the new to me 08 that I traded my 6.0 for.
Rocweiller likes this.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:25 AM

When I first installed mine it was the same way. I was worried, but was told to give it some time.

Truck specs are in my sig, 3.73 rear end, and I run the 300EL (all HWY MPG). I've been told the EL (Early Lock) is best for 3.55 & 3.73...but ultimately it's preference.

Mine had the same symptoms as yours but I put a hundred more miles on it and it's DEFINITELY shifting better. I say give it a little more time.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
The Following User Says Thank You to nine9six For This Useful Post:
09powerstrokee (03-22-2014)
Old 03-22-2014, 08:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine9six View Post
When I first installed mine it was the same way. I was worried, but was told to give it some time.

Truck specs are in my sig, 3.73 rear end, and I run the 300EL (all HWY MPG). I've been told the EL (Early Lock) is best for 3.55 & 3.73...but ultimately it's preference.

Mine had the same symptoms as yours but I put a hundred more miles on it and it's DEFINITELY shifting better. I say give it a little more time.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
I really appreciate your response. I run the 275el tune and I testedI it some more yesterday, and I got on it to try it out after driving around for a little bit, and around 50mph it couldn't decide what gear to shift to. So I came to a complete stop and just tried driving normal, and the dam thing was stuck in 2nd or 3rd gear i believe. It was moving so slow and wouldn't wrap up. I knew it wasn't in 1st. But I'm still willing to give it some more time and see how it is. I just don't know if I got a weird set of tranny tunes or something.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 03-22-2014, 09:07 AM

Give it time, It smooths out. I really never have any issues with shifting on any tune I run, went with PMF trac bars and pretty much did away with all harsh shifting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.