Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Spartan Experience's

10K views 64 replies 16 participants last post by  Delta Kilo 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I just went from an XRT to Spartan tunning with the nDash module on my '09. I do not like it one bit, but i am willing to wait it out and hear what ya'll have to say before i go a different rout with it.

I tried the 300 tune and the motor seemed to handle it pretty well, but the transmission hated it. I did the re learn like the sticky suggested and added 1/2Q of ATF, and it didnt seem to clear up after doing so. I have only put around 20 miles on the tune. I spoke with spartan and they advised me to drive on it for 7-10 days and it should adapt to my driving habits. Has anyone else noticed the transmission shift better after driving on it a little while? This thing tosses me around in my seat trying to find the next gear. From 40mph and up, i can stomp on it and it does pretty good. but from a dead stop, it slams and revs high before going into the next gear. My xrt with the transmission tunning was a lot smoother. Any ideas?

Also, how does a guy just get use to the injector rattle in the 310 and higher tunes? I know its not harming the motor, but it sure doesnt sound healthy. Any input will be much appreciated. I know Spartan does good work, because i read up on a lot of sites that people love it. I WANT to love it, just want to know if im doing something wrong here.

See less See more
#4 ·
ive got traction bars (pro comp) although i hate the traction bars. I get some vibration at low speeds and a faster vibration when i stop on it at higher speeds after installing the Tbars. but thats for a different thread. I will try it out and see how it shifts over time. I just dont want to be driving around a truck that is so uncomfortable to drive all the time.

#5 · (Edited)
For me I liked the h&s trans tuning over spartans trans tuning. Spartans shifts where to harsh for me and I had traction bars to. For a dd I would go back to h&s or run a 210 or under tune on the spartan as the 210 had good shifting:beer:

#6 ·
I'm running the 250EL tune shifts great, firm but no issues with the rev slam. Give it some time and miles. Mine never had the rev slam issue but I can say that after 120 miles it smoothed out even more.

#26 ·
Did the same.

#8 ·
When I first installed mine it was the same way. I was worried, but was told to give it some time.

Truck specs are in my sig, 3.73 rear end, and I run the 300EL (all HWY MPG). I've been told the EL (Early Lock) is best for 3.55 & 3.73...but ultimately it's preference.

Mine had the same symptoms as yours but I put a hundred more miles on it and it's DEFINITELY shifting better. I say give it a little more time. :thumb:

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Reactions: 09powerstrokee
#9 ·
I really appreciate your response. I run the 275el tune and I testedI it some more yesterday, and I got on it to try it out after driving around for a little bit, and around 50mph it couldn't decide what gear to shift to. So I came to a complete stop and just tried driving normal, and the dam thing was stuck in 2nd or 3rd gear i believe. It was moving so slow and wouldn't wrap up. I knew it wasn't in 1st. But I'm still willing to give it some more time and see how it is. I just don't know if I got a weird set of tranny tunes or something.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#10 ·
Give it time, It smooths out. I really never have any issues with shifting on any tune I run, went with PMF trac bars and pretty much did away with all harsh shifting.

#12 · (Edited)
If it continues to give you a fit and you don't notice any improvement, I'd load the stock w/ no DPF file and take it for a spin. Just to see if the transmission acts different.

Then load the other tune and perform these steps (taken from the Spartan Forums, compliments of "08stroker250"):

This process should be performed if you have a stock TCM and have loaded the 210 TP, 250, 275, 300, 310, or 350 tunes. I have made this relearn as painless as possible since several people feel that the old relearn is too stressful on the truck. It's not something that you have to do, but it is something that I highly recommend if you want the ultimate consistency out of your 5R110W.

1. From a stop, accelerate to 50-55 MPH at 10-15% throttle. DO THIS FIVE TIMES.
2. From a stop, accelerate to 55-60 MPH at 20-25% throttle. DO THIS FIVE TIMES.
3. From a stop, accelerate to 55-60 MPH at 40-50% throttle. DO THIS THREE TIMES.
4. From a stop, accelerate to 60 MPH at 60-75% throttle. DO THIS TWO TIMES. ALTHOUGH I RECOMMEND THIS STEP, IT IS OPTIONAL.
5. From a stop, accelerate to 60-70 MPH at 85-100% throttle. DO THIS TWO TIMES. THIS IS AN OPTIONAL STEP IN THE PROCEDURE.

If you aren't sure about throttle position, you can monitor throttle position percentage with the DashDAQ.

#13 ·
If it continues to give you a fit and you don't notice any improvement, I'd load the stock file and take it for a spin. Just to see if the transmission acts different.

Then load the other tune and perform these steps (taken from the Spartan Forums, compliments of "08stroker250"):

This process should be performed if you have a stock TCM and have loaded the 210 TP, 250, 275, 300, 310, or 350 tunes. I have made this relearn as painless as possible since several people feel that the old relearn is too stressful on the truck. It's not something that you have to do, but it is something that I highly recommend if you want the ultimate consistency out of your 5R110W.

1. From a stop, accelerate to 50-55 MPH at 10-15% throttle. DO THIS FIVE TIMES.
2. From a stop, accelerate to 55-60 MPH at 20-25% throttle. DO THIS FIVE TIMES.
3. From a stop, accelerate to 55-60 MPH at 40-50% throttle. DO THIS THREE TIMES.
4. From a stop, accelerate to 60 MPH at 60-75% throttle. DO THIS TWO TIMES. ALTHOUGH I RECOMMEND THIS STEP, IT IS OPTIONAL.
5. From a stop, accelerate to 60-70 MPH at 85-100% throttle. DO THIS TWO TIMES. THIS IS AN OPTIONAL STEP IN THE PROCEDURE.

If you aren't sure about throttle position, you can monitor throttle position percentage with the DashDAQ.

Thanks for showing me all that. I'll try that out. But do you mean to put the truck on stock level? Or actually put the stock tune in? Cus I can't drive this thing with the stock files on it cus it's all deleted.

#16 ·
Idk if this is a dumb question, but you mind telling me what your firmware number is and and other info (minus the serial number) there is so much stuff others can do and I can not access it on my truck. Not sure if the nDash is up to date or not. For example, I want to use Ford specific gauges and have all the parameters, but it's not in here. I pulled my SD card out and plugged it into the computer and saw something about an "update" but I just bought this so wasn't sure if I should attempt trying to update my module, in fear of screwing something up

#15 ·
Yes, just after you get through the DPF-On tunes, there's a stock no DPF tune.

Also edited my previous post to reflect this, as not to cause any confusion should anyone reference this in the future.

#18 · (Edited)
Product: nDash

Firmware: 2.2.2-99

OBD Interface: 1.5.0.1.5.1

Bootloader: 1.5.0-84

Build Version: nDashGUI-2.2.2-99

Build Time: Jan 27 2014 22:12:12

Strategy: SPARTANENGINE1SPARTANTRANS01

#21 ·
Oh I think it'll have a code like that when it was stock.

When I first got mine and had to do the setup, I updated my Spartan info with my Strategy and it looked like the one you referenced above from Spartan.

I don't know if it changes when a tune is loaded? I am at my grandparents helping them with a number of things (they are up there in age) so I can't test that theory ATM.

When I get back into town next week I can test it if needed.

#27 ·
All nDash (Phalanx II) units have the latest firmware.

You can only access your strategy code with the original stock file loaded. Your profile must be completed in order to update to the newest software update (On-Screen Tuning). Anyone interested in the update can click the link in my signature. I have everything spelled out for you along with the necessary links. The press release and OST manual are the two most important files I have linked, so be sure to read through them.

#33 ·
Not trying to Hijack, but what is the difference between DashDAQ and NDash? I have very little experience with Spartan, but I'm trying to figure it all out seeing as how the 6.4 I just bought came with a DashDAQ. It took me almost 2 months to get it to let me switch tunes! My 6.7 I had before this truck, I had a mini Maxx.

Reactions: Rocweiller
#36 ·
Well I figured I would chime in on the tuner now that I have had it on for a whole day...I will say in regards to the shifting, to me they are spot on. Nice firm fast shifts. What I would expect from a tune that adds 250hp. I started with the 250EL and like it so far. Havent put too many miles on it yet. I will be driving her a good amount on monday and we will see how she does then. Overall I am very impressed with the Spartan and glad I went with it. Now if I could only get the theme to be a little cooler I would be as happy as a clam.

#37 ·
What can't I expirence what your experiencing? Like I said, spartan advised me to try out the 300 late lock tune, and just do my normal driving. Well, within the first 2 hours of just normal driving, it seemed OK, firm shifting, but no Rev slam or anything. Then, I got on it to go around a guy, and 3 Rev slams later, the wrench light came on and I had these codes, P2703, P2263, P1000, P0766. I didn't write down what the codes said, I would have to look them up again. But then I cleared the codes, and started driving away, the transmission shifted through 1st and 4th gear, but would NOT go into 5th (TC lockup) so u pulled over, shut it off, and tried again and then 5th gear was there. So from that moment on, I put it on the 210 tune with stock transmission tunning, and no problems at all. I'm just at a loss on what to do next. I can't see this being healthy for my transmission. If I need to drive on it the way I normally do, and let it clear it self up, then that is just not gonna happen cus I'm not liking how it's throwing codes and doing the most outrageous shifting. I'll just head back to H&S since their tunning does no such thing that Spartans does.

#38 ·
P2703 is a direct clutch code, which is usually related to the solenoid. The solenoid could be failing or have clutch material in it.

P0766 is also related to the direct clutch. It points to the clutch itself and the solenoid. My guess is your direct solenoid is the issue given P2703 and P0766.

P2263 could either be the exhaust back pressure sensor or the VGT actuator.

P1000 is normal.

#39 ·
My suggestion...

Start small, but not the 210 tune. Maybe the 250 or even the 210 tow tune. No offense, it seems like you are loading the tunes and going out there and pounding on the truck. The tranny IS NOT going to like that.

Honestly the power was more then I could have ever imagined when I first got the Spartan. Now I DD the 275 tune and when I'm feeling crazy I load the 310 tune up. With the 310 tune SOMETIMES I'll get a wrench light, but it's very rare. I've really got to be beating and I mean BEATING on it for it to happen.

Like I said, load the 210 tow tune and drive it for 100 or so miles, maybe drive it for a week like that. Too and from work every day. Then give the 250 then the 275 and so on. Work your way into driving the truck with the increased power, learn how do drive it. It's unreal what these trucks are capable of.

I remember when I first got it, and loaded it up. What did you think I loaded??? Damn right, the 310 tune. I was in over my head. It came down to me not really knowing how to drive it. I, like you, was too hard on it. At least thats what I feel like you might be doing.... Also... I've never done the learning process. I know that Spartan recommends it, but what I usually do it take it on about a 50 mile drive (I've actually got a "loop" that I do) mixed highway and city and I take the truck through it's paces. I'm not gentle on it, but the first 5-6 miles it's a two lane road and the speed limit fluctuates from 35-55mph.

Eventually (I'm like this now) the 310 tune will become "normal" and you'll want more!!! :headbang1: I honestly want a solid 700hp truck now. I say I'll be happy when I have that, but I might just get use to that too.... lol

Hope you do start enjoying the tuner. They are seriously bad ***.

Reactions: toren302
#40 ·
What he said^^^^

The trans needs time to relaearn. I have read similar posts in the 6.0 section when people get new tunes and just got out and hit it. It is pouring rain up here in WA right now so its not like I can go out and do some WOT runs. So hopefully it will just be a relearn time for the truck and when/if the sun ever comes back out I will be able to see waht the 250EL will do.

#41 ·
I started on 250 and no issue for me. Recently tried 275 and no issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.