IDP street vs gearhead street quick review - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2014, 06:05 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
IDP street vs gearhead street quick review

Since I've now loaded and ran both I'd thought I'd do a quick review for those of you looking for a custom tune.

IDP street: Good firm shifting, with the added power the stock shift points that Eric uses for this tune were a bit to early for my liking. Idle was smooth until elevated or I flipped on the high idle rocker switch, at which point it would surge. Throttle was very touchy in parking lots or over bumps, pot holes ect. Power was good, egts were nice and low (1000-1100 under WOT). Erics customer service is top notch! I received my tune in a matter of 2 hrs after I called in my order. Always got back to me via emails quickly (sometimes within the hr or less) and made changes to try and satisfy me and tried to fix my surging idle with no luck.

Gearhead street: shifting is great!!!, shifts hold out slightly longer than the idp tune which is very pleasing, nice and firm as well. Idle is smooth and high idle doesn't surge like the idp tune. Low throttle position in parking lots, over bumps ect. Is almost stock feeling, until you slap that skinny pedal down and the power is immediately there. More power than idp street by far, but egts are a little high when getting on it hard (1400-1500). Matts customer service is good, emails returned within 24 hrs. Matt answered a call well after hours, but I did have a little issue with one of his salesman. After placing my order online, and checking the box to indicate that I do have a R/OR tunder and that I'm aware that these tunes will only work wwith these type of Tuners. I received an email the following day to confirm the number from my 3015r bc the number I gave was not an r model (it is an r model and the number I provided was correct). The salesman went on to tell me that the person who sold me the brand new 3015r lied to me and its not and r model. I called matt spoke with him and he said is the salesman didn't refund my payment he'd submit my order again on Monday, 8 days after the initial order. I received it a couple days after that and I'm really pleased with it.

With that said I don't blame the salesman for questioning the unit, as i bought it brand new pretty recently and we all know sct sstopped making them quite a while ago. Although I did mention on the online submission Form I was running a dpf delete with idp tunes. Things with gearhead could have been sped up a lot more if I wasn't working 15.5hr days and all my emails were sent well after their closing hrs.

I would definitely recommend the gearhead street tune over the idp street tune for 3 reasons;
1: better shifting
2: Stock like throttle in low rpm
3: better power

Last edited by 08bigred350; 03-13-2014 at 06:09 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2014, 06:25 AM
Premium Member

you should try out his Hot Street tune... thats what i run every day.. best tune i've run to date. I tow with it (no more than 7K lbs) on my 37's and its awesome. my EGT's stay below 1200, almost no smoke, shifting is perfect, he adjusted the shift points for me to be similar to the stock shifting points, but firm enough for the added HP. Matt has these things dialed in better than anyone IMO.

for the record, i've ran all of IDP's tunes, and KEM 345. Not saying their tunes aren't good, but i prefer matt's by far.
The Following User Says Thank You to p8ntballn2 For This Useful Post:
08bigred350 (03-14-2014)
Old 03-14-2014, 06:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I agree with Kris. Try the Hot Street if you have it. Shifting and mileage are even better than the Street tune for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to TXAG07 For This Useful Post:
08bigred350 (03-14-2014)
Old 03-14-2014, 08:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I run the hot street also best tune I've run to date.
The Following User Says Thank You to 06superduty3997 For This Useful Post:
08bigred350 (03-14-2014)
Old 03-14-2014, 08:38 AM

I run matt's street tune also, I like it. I didn't let my trans relearn so I had some harsh shifting for awhile. I did tow with it and was impressed. His customer service is great.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sam Hain For This Useful Post:
08bigred350 (03-14-2014)
Old 03-14-2014, 07:05 PM

I will be running idp xtreme street when this ice and snow go away, along with gearheads hot street to compare those aswell.

I cant wait for Matts hot street, the street has a smile on my face!
Old 03-14-2014, 07:16 PM

I gotta agree with all the above posts. Hot Street is the BEST tune I have ever run. And I have tried them ALL. Well, just about all of them.
The Following User Says Thank You to cornbred For This Useful Post:
08bigred350 (03-14-2014)
Old 03-15-2014, 04:35 AM

It appears that everyone on this particular forum are using the SCT tuner? Did any of you replace the studs? Is anyone towing heavy with these tunes and if so how is everything working for you?
Old 03-15-2014, 05:50 AM

You shouldn't really be towing heavy with any hot tune. You're asking for failure towing heavy with a hot tune.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
It appears that everyone on this particular forum are using the SCT tuner? Did any of you replace the studs? Is anyone towing heavy with these tunes and if so how is everything working for you?
Matt told me that the street tune was good for 10k or less granted you drove like you had some sense. I pulled gn trailer with 3 big cows in it over the mtn on i40 (guessing trailer + cows was around 7k) and I couldn't even tell I was pulling anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.