Propane pros/cons - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-10-2014, 09:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 90
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Propane pros/cons

This isn't much for performance talk, but I hear good things as far as fuel mileage goes. Can someone give me a little info on it? How much it costs, what's needed, is it hard on the motor... Any info would be much appreciated.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 03-10-2014, 11:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor



 

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 8,747
Thanks: 3
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I've never heard of anyone running it on a 6.4. I've always known it to be a bad idea because it increases pre-turbo EGT's quite a bit. Maybe someone will chime in with more info, but I don't think you'll get much from the 6.4 guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 03-10-2014, 12:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 90
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Well that is actually good to know. I wasn't so sure if it would increase egts and screw stuff up. I'm just trying to squeeze every bit of fuel out as efficient as possible lol diesel prices keep climbing so I need a fix ha

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 03-10-2014, 03:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Defiance
Posts: 4,249
Thanks: 327
Thanked 88 Times in 84 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Its only a bad idea if you dont know what your doing. Too much propane pressure is bad. Only a few psi for mpg gains. I've chatted with the guy on ebay quite a bit and he's sold a few thousand kits and supposedly hasn't had anyone complain. Badger performance. Iirc.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 03-11-2014, 02:28 AM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: West By God Virginia
Posts: 1,559
Thanks: 24
Thanked 57 Times in 54 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by hucorey View Post
Its only a bad idea if you dont know what your doing. Too much propane pressure is bad. Only a few psi for mpg gains. I've chatted with the guy on ebay quite a bit and he's sold a few thousand kits and supposedly hasn't had anyone complain. Badger performance. Iirc.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
If he sells them, his opinion may be biased...wouldn't you agree? IMO propane + 6.4 = bad idea. I don't like the thought of injecting a flammable fuel into the boosted air coming in pre-cylinder. I don't know if a very low pressure nitrous system could provide enough improvement in fuel economy to offset the cost, but that is the only system I would consider. I admit, I have never been a fan of injectibles though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 03-11-2014, 06:01 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 68
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by B585Ford View Post
I don't know if a very low pressure nitrous system could provide enough improvement in fuel economy to offset the cost, but that is the only system I would consider. I admit, I have never been a fan of injectibles though.

No offense meant, but you might want to read up on nitrous. It is not a fuel, it is an oxidizer that allows you to burn more fuel. N2O would certainly not help economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 03-11-2014, 06:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor



 

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 8,747
Thanks: 3
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Correct. The major benefits of nitrous are cooling EGT's and burning more fuel to make more power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 03-11-2014, 07:11 PM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: West By God Virginia
Posts: 1,559
Thanks: 24
Thanked 57 Times in 54 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraChris View Post
No offense meant, but you might want to read up on nitrous. It is not a fuel, it is an oxidizer that allows you to burn more fuel. N2O would certainly not help economy.
Exactly, that is my point. It is not a fuel so I feel more comfortable injecting it. It does improve efficiency though. I am pretty sure it could help if used properly. 6.4s have stingy heads thus why they do so well with nitrous. Forcing air down stingy heads takes energy. Nitrous in a low pressure setup would allow you to make the same HP without wasting so much energy (in the form of EBP). Would it improve efficiency enough to offset cost...IDK

Last edited by B585Ford; 03-11-2014 at 07:15 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 03-11-2014, 10:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Defiance
Posts: 4,249
Thanks: 327
Thanked 88 Times in 84 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by B585Ford View Post
If he sells them, his opinion may be biased...wouldn't you agree? IMO propane + 6.4 = bad idea. I don't like the thought of injecting a flammable fuel into the boosted air coming in pre-cylinder. I don't know if a very low pressure nitrous system could provide enough improvement in fuel economy to offset the cost, but that is the only system I would consider. I admit, I have never been a fan of injectibles though.
I would agree that he very well could be biased, but there are literally 1,000's of fleet trucks running propane MPG add on kits. From light P/U's to class 8 trucks.

This is one of the few companies I would trust. http://www.transtechenergy.com/propa...sel-injection/

Anyone that advertises as a diesel performance shop I would be hesitant. As they are more times than none just cookie cutter parts jockeys. But not all of course.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 03-12-2014, 02:38 AM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: West By God Virginia
Posts: 1,559
Thanks: 24
Thanked 57 Times in 54 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by hucorey View Post
I would agree that he very well could be biased, but there are literally 1,000's of fleet trucks running propane MPG add on kits. From light P/U's to class 8 trucks.

This is one of the few companies I would trust. Propane Diesel Injection

Anyone that advertises as a diesel performance shop I would be hesitant. As they are more times than none just cookie cutter parts jockeys. But not all of course.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Good point. If you or the OP decides to go that route, I hope it works out for ya. Like I said in the beginning,, I am biased against I injectibles...if people go this route on the 6.4 and it works well, who knows, I might even try it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors