SCT Livewire TS 5015 review - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2014, 01:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SCT Livewire TS 5015 review

I want to start out by saying that I am fairly new to diesel. I purchased my 2008 f-250 about 2 months ago. I bought it as an XL model but have upgraded a bunch of the base model features. I put the towing mirrors, new headlights, rims, tires, and a new stereo. Anyway I have been looking for a programmer since the day I bought my truck that wouldn't break my wallet but still was DPF and EGR delete capable. I did a lot of research and read many forums on different programmers. I never found a whole lot of reviews on this tuner for the 250 with DPF delete. So figured I would share my experience with this programmer. I want to add that I have no affiliation with SCT or Rudy's diesel performance.

After my long search I found this SCT live wire TS 5015 with Rudy's diesel performance tunes. The programmer comes with the stock SCT tunes that are for your truck while the DPF pipe is still installed on the truck. Then they have their 5 tunes that they added to the programmer. This still leaves 5 slots for more custom tunes if you need them. I could not pass up the deal! I was able to snatch a package deal of the programmer (with rudy's tunes), the DPF and cat delete pipe, and cold air intake for a measly $1400. I purchased it off of ebay from them but you can also visit their website.

Their custom tunes have 5 levels which are as follows
Level 1: 50hp and 80 ftlbs
Level 2: 80hp and 125 ftlbs
Level 3: 100hp and 230 ftlbs
Level 4: 200hp and 440 ftlbs
Level 5: 250hp and 515 ftlbs

They said level 4 and 5 require CAI or it will basically implode the stock filter.

The DPF and cat delete are fairly easy install.
The programmer installation takes a little bit for it to save your factory setting and for it to initially install the tune.
The CAI was very easy to install. It is an S&B brand with the cleanable air filter. You have to request that you want the cleanable filter if you choose. The CAI seems like a quality product. the plastic is very thick and tough and does not feel cheap. After installing the CAI I fell like the truck has less turbo lag. I cannot speak on an improvement in MPG yet.

As far as the SCT unit , I am pretty pleased with it. It has a lot of options that make it custom to your liking. There are a lot of different aspects that you can monitor. It records 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. One thing I do not like about the screen is that it is very touchy so it makes it had to scroll through the different screens. Besides that I do not have any complaints.

After having everything installed the truck is just a monster. It has tons of power and puts you in your seat. I have it set on the level 3 tune and I fell like it is a good balance of MPG and power. I also feel like it doesn't beat the truck up as much. I know it is not an accurate tool but just for some kind of measure until I can hand calculate it, The mpg on the dash before the install was 12.5 city, which seams fairly accurate. After the install, and while beating it a little, The dash calculator has the MPG at 19.9. Again I realize its not an accurate measure, but it shows improvement!

When it comes to Rudy's diesel performance, I couldn't have been happier. They are happy to answer any questions you have without making your feel stupid. An extra set on instructions came in the package from rudy's that provided one of the worker's cell phone number! He was able to answer a question I had even after normal business hours. Service you don't see much anymore!

So all in all I would definitely recommend this set up. I saved a lot of cash by not going with a comparable set up from H&S that sells for around $2100

AGAIN I AM NOT A DIESEL MECHANIC or an expert by any means. I just wanted to provide my experience.

If you have any questions let me know!

Thanks
Dave

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dbuckel For This Useful Post:
hoofdoctor (03-08-2014), Rudy's diesel performance (03-19-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2014, 01:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Great write up on a seemingly good product! This is exactly what I needed to hear! I've been looking at this same setup on eBay. I'll be giving Rudy a call as I've been searching for a good deal out there too, not so much as not to break the bank, but more to not piss off the wife by buying a tuner and parts and still not have it on the truck.

Last edited by hoofdoctor; 03-08-2014 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-08-2014, 03:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you sir,

After writing it i forgot to post my only complaint!

The only thing I do not like about the programer (besides the sensitive screen) Is that you cannot change the power settings while driving! It takes about 3-4 minutes to load a new power level to your truck. They really don't mention that.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Does it keep the stock transmision tune?
Old 03-08-2014, 06:47 PM

Thanks for the review. Please keep us updated on you MPG gains and also how the truck is running. I was set on doing the DPF-r but if I can get the same set up as you for $1400 I'm might go that direction.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I went with the Spartan. Bought it from Rudy's though. Like their service. Had SCT on my 6.0, good programmer.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The programmer changes the shifting of the trans in levels 4 and 5. It says that once you load a level 4 or 5 tune, you must do a trans relearn where you go 0-80mph at 25% then 0-80mph at 50% and so on.

Once I run through a full tank I will post an update on mpg.

Yea Rudy's sells spartan and H&S as well which is nice.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:27 AM

mpg and towing

What mpg have you gotten so far? Do you tow and if so what power level are you running?
Old 03-13-2014, 07:53 PM

Any update?? How is the truck running?? What are your MPG gains?? Any issues?? Looking to tune and delete soon. Need to make a choice on which way to go.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:25 PM
Premium Member

Great write up. I think this will be very helpful for people who are looking for an off-road tuner...especially as expensive as they are getting these days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.