afe 4" and 3015r installed; questions. too quiet - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2014, 06:06 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
afe 4" and 3015r installed; questions. too quiet

After having the truck for 12 days I've decided it was time for a tuner and an exhaust. I went with an AFE 4" downpipe back and the 3015r with th3 canned tunes for now until I call idp or gearhead on Monday.

I installed the muffler thinking it would be to obnoxious without it, but it's way to quiet. Will removing the muffler make much of a difference with sound on this compound?

Also for the sct 3015r guys when uploading the tune I came to the usual question (dpf deleted, egr deleted, tire size) i came to a question asking about the egt sensor status. I accidentally clicked off or dissabled. Truck runs good but should i have selected enabled or on for this egt question?

Also what tune are you canned sct 3015r guys running? I set performance and performance trans.

Also do I have to do a tranny relearn with canned tunes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2014, 04:02 AM

Great questions, I too just got my tuner so I'll be watching this thread. I updated mine yesterday, were you as nervous as I was....

Don
Old 03-02-2014, 05:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I still get nervous everytime I mess with the tune on my h&s lol. It just does so much and takes forever I always think something is wrong lol.

Taking the muffler off will get you more sound but sadly the 6.4 is not an obnoxious motor. It's still pretty quiet compared to other diesels when straight piped.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:07 AM

Dnaber, I was nervous it took so long. Thought I messed something up. But even with these canned tunes what a difference! I can't wait to call for custom tunes tomorrow.

TravisH3, I know these 6.4s aren't very loud. But this thing is so quiet with the muffler, I wasn't sure if it would make much of a difference as the muffler is free flowing but it'll be coming off tmo when I can pick up the muffler delete pipe.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:08 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to blackcloud2k Send a message via Yahoo to blackcloud2k
Take the muffler off. It will provide a little more sound. My 4" DP, and 5" exhaust without a muffler is still quieter than my 7.3 was with a 5" and a muffler. That thing would shake the pictures on the wall inside the house during high idle.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:12 AM

I had an old 7.3 years ago and it was 4" straight piped. That's why I put the muffler on this one. But it's no where near his loud the old 7.3s were.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:56 PM
Premium Member

You will notice a little but not much difference without a muffler. Compounds kill the sound. Only way to get sound out of a 6.4 is to go to a single. With fuel added and a single, they can deafening.
To answer one of your original questions (disclaimer I have never owned an auto), your trans will go through a re-learn every time you change a tune based on following of these trucks for years.
I ran a LW but never your exact tuner but I am pretty sure you don't want to select disabled. Since you did, can you monitor your EGTs?
Old 03-03-2014, 05:04 AM

I had changed my engine tune to street last night from performance and left the trans tune on performance. Doesn't have as much power but good for now until I get custom tunes.

I did select the egt question to on this time and yes I can view my egts now.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:23 AM

Why the change back? I ran the Performance this morning and it was very responsive to the pedal. Looking to see how this will effect the MPG.

Don
Old 03-03-2014, 08:13 AM

That's the issue to responsive to the pedal, it's still -35 and colder here with ice all over th3 place and my.old lady can't learn to ease on the pedal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.