Single turbo 6.4 that still works???? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2014, 07:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Single turbo 6.4 that still works????

Ok guys, all my buddies are going pretty deep into there trucks and in still mainly stock. Been toying around the idea of a single turbo swap because I want my truck to sound like my 6.0 Well I can't afford to have a work and play truck so I need it to do both. Is there a single turbo that would allow me to keep the same power I have or slightly more but still being able to snow plow and tow lightly(trailer with 4-wheelers, landscape trailer, car trailer)? I won't be towing heavy like our skid steer or excavator. Usually only on big snows do we need to use my truck so most of the snows we don't use it but just in case I want it to still be workable. What do you guys think? Am I dreaming or is this possible. Trying to make this budget friendly also.

Last question, watching some videos online of 6.4 with turbo mods a lot of them have the check engine light on. Is there tuning that can clear that. I couldn't handle having a newer truck with a. Check engine light on lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2014, 02:26 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
if you can't afford a work and a play truck and are on a budget, I wouldn't recommend making your only truck both!

you can tune out the light with MCC
Old 02-25-2014, 02:29 AM
Premium Member

Since you have H&S, if the sound at idle is all you want, turn the VGT off from idle to about 1000 to 1200 RPM using MCC. Then save your money so you can do a BB atmo turbo. There are not any drop in BB turbos so they aren't cheap. I am not at all into singles so I don't keep up with them but you may want to get ahold of Eric at PTP if you are set on going with a single. Pretty sure he really likes his.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:53 AM

You should be fine with a S366 turbo for towing still or as stated look into a BB turbo such as a GT4094R or similar.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on diesel View Post
if you can't afford a work and a play truck and are on a budget, I wouldn't recommend making your only truck both!

you can tune out the light with MCC
I'm not trying to do this with my spare change jar. I just meant that I don't need a fancy kit. MPD has their budget single turbo kit which is more along the lines of what I was thinking. I have the money and gonna be selling my RZR here soon due to places to ride are closing down in my area.

This basically is a play truck. We have a whole fleet of work trucks I can use to haul the heavy stuff. But I like to go quading, and usually haul a utility trailer a few times a week. I was just seeing if a single is possible for this use. I figured towing lightly like that isn't a big deal, my main thing was if I had to use my truck to plow. I was told that a smaller exhaust housing on a s3-s400 turbos would spool close to stock which I could plow easy with.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:52 AM

roger that

Although nobody hardly talks about it, I'm interested in the Suncoast pedestal. I believe it works with factory manifolds/up-pipes, but it's a solid cast pedestal, so no worries about cracking vs. a tubular style merge/pedestal.

I think the biggest factors are going to be:

1. not going overboard on the turbo... a 63-66mm S300 should spool great and allow you to still work the truck

and 2. TUNING! Particularly transmission tuning
Old 02-25-2014, 08:10 AM

Talk to Eric at PTP or go on the powerstrokearmy forum those guys know a lot when it comes to the singles. Eric told me all I the mods he did to his an I want to say he still runs off stock fuel. I'm thinking of going to a single since I don't tow heavy anymore an to me the Single Turbo 6.4 sounds like an good Ol 7.3.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06superduty3997 View Post
Talk to Eric at PTP or go on the powerstrokearmy forum those guys know a lot when it comes to the singles. Eric told me all I the mods he did to his an I want to say he still runs off stock fuel. I'm thinking of going to a single since I don't tow heavy anymore an to me the Single Turbo 6.4 sounds like an good Ol 7.3.
i have an account over there but dont get on much but I will check it out. Thats what the plan was, single with stock fuel. with good tuning i might see a little power increase and see how she goes from there. until I wanna take another step lol but yes i do want that sound haha
Old 02-25-2014, 10:53 AM

I love the sound of an Single 6.4, when I decide to make the move I'm going with the MPD kit.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06superduty3997 View Post
I love the sound of an Single 6.4, when I decide to make the move I'm going with the MPD kit.
I know. I wish I could find someone with experience to give me on whether the s366 is what I need. Wish I would have drove my buddies 6.0 before we just pulled the cab and installed a s466 with a billet wheel.

Anyone run a single s366 on there 6.4 here? Didn't get much help on PSA. They kept saying compounds. With a s366 and a billet wheel I would think spool up wouldn't be that bad?
The Following User Says Thank You to travisH3 For This Useful Post:
sanman28 (03-31-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.