Airddog 2 or OEM - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2014, 12:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Airddog 2 or OEM

So yesterday my water separator started leaking like crazy when I turn my truck off. Well, make a long story short, its rotted where the 0 ring gos on the valve not letting it come even close to sealing the valve (And all gunked up inside too) and I need to replace the complete housing. I was thinking of replacing it with an airdog 2 165 instead of the OEM unit since it would only be a couple hundred extra.

For reliability what would you guys recommenced going with? My truck does have a mini maxx, sinsiter EGR delete with intake elbow, cold side inter cooler piping upgrade, 4" straight pipe with DPF delete and S & B cold air intake.

Would you get the 165gph or the 100gph model?

Is there anything else I need to completely remove the OEM separator and pump?

Thanks for you help guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2014, 02:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

airdog 165 for sure.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Are people getting as many miles on these as they do the OEM pumps?
Old 02-23-2014, 07:00 PM

Possibly. I'm sure some members will chime in on the Airdog's longevity and performance.

From what I've read the wire gauge is small and causes the motor to overheat and eventually fail. AD has a lifetime warranty so if you ever cross that bridge they will honor their warranty hopefully not stranded in remote location. However I haven't heard of the filters allowing water or contamination to the hpfp that can cause failure like the factory lpfp.
The Following User Says Thank You to Capt dong For This Useful Post:
tech180 (02-23-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 06:37 AM

I had an airdog II 165 on both my cummins and my ford. So far no problems. You could also look into a fuel lab pump or an A-1000 pump. I would do one of these over OEM mostly for the better filtration/water separation.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04hdfatboy View Post
I had an airdog II 165 on both my cummins and my ford. So far no problems. You could also look into a fuel lab pump or an A-1000 pump. I would do one of these over OEM mostly for the better filtration/water separation.
Good to hear. How many miles would ya say you have on the airdog? where you able to completely remove the OEM pump/separator?

I tried to seal mine up with JB weld last night, didnt work out so well.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech180 View Post
Good to hear. How many miles would ya say you have on the airdog? where you able to completely remove the OEM pump/separator?

I tried to seal mine up with JB weld last night, didnt work out so well.
I had about 30, 000 miles on dodge and the airdog on my 6.4 has about 60, 000 miles or more. Yes you can completely remove the oem pump.
GSchretter and tech180 like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to 04hdfatboy For This Useful Post:
tech180 (02-25-2014)
Old 02-25-2014, 08:50 AM

Send a message via AIM to blackcloud2k Send a message via Yahoo to blackcloud2k
I have over 100k on my airdog II. It is still working like a champ! I would go with the airdog over the stocker. That stock system is junk. My stock system is still on the truck, but is capped off. The only plus side to having a working stock system still on the truck is if my airdog fails in a remote area, with in an hr I can have the stock system hooked up again and be back on the road to safety. As for which airdog, I would go with the Airdog II 165.
tech180 likes this.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcloud2k View Post
I have over 100k on my airdog II. It is still working like a champ! I would go with the airdog over the stocker. That stock system is junk. My stock system is still on the truck, but is capped off. The only plus side to having a working stock system still on the truck is if my airdog fails in a remote area, with in an hr I can have the stock system hooked up again and be back on the road to safety. As for which airdog, I would go with the Airdog II 165.
Now that's good to hear! Did you upgrade the wiring harness that came with the airdog?
Old 02-25-2014, 01:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well, a warning about Alligator performance. I paid for over night shipping early yesterday morning (On my airdog 2) so I could get my truck running again today, well, they lost my order and don't know where its at or if or when it will be shipped. So guess I am stuck walking the kid to school until I either get a refund from them of the $775 or they find my part and ship it. I wont be using them again as they didnt help me at all, said they would call me baclk and never did either, i had to call them 3 times and never got an answer about my order.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.