Are Custom Tunes Legal? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dannanw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2014, 07:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Are Custom Tunes Legal?

I just picked up an SCT SF3 street tuner which came with the disclaimer that it's not legal for use in California. No problem because I'm in Colorado. When I went to look for custom tunes I ran into the following:

Innovative has a warning that says "Not legal for use on pollution controlled vehicles or in the state of California. For racing and off-road use only."

Gearhead makes you click a box that says "I understand these tunes can only be loaded on a SCT Off Road or Race device"

Do I have to stick with the canned tunes on the SCT tuner in order to remain legal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2014, 07:37 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Removal of the dpf/doc or egr is not legal period so any tunes that remove these components are not legal for on road use. So everyone running deletes on this forum is using them for offroad use only.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I understand that, but what about "DPF Friendly" tunes? Are those just CYA warnings or is flashing your truck's computer considered tampering with the exhaust system? If this is just "tear the tag off a mattress" illegal, I have no problem with that. If it's "$10,000 fine from the EPA" illegal, I'll have to think twice considering I do have to go through emissions testing.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithhelms View Post
I understand that, but what about "DPF Friendly" tunes? Are those just CYA warnings or is flashing your truck's computer considered tampering with the exhaust system? If this is just "tear the tag off a mattress" illegal, I have no problem with that. If it's "$10,000 fine from the EPA" illegal, I'll have to think twice considering I do have to go through emissions testing.
you are correct more of the "tear the tag off a mattress" unless you have dot #'s or are pulling commercially then it is all the way "$10,000 fine from the EPA"

at the "tear the tag off a mattress"....
Heavy_GD likes this.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithhelms View Post
The reason all tuners say "Not Legal for use in California" is that since 2000, diesel tuning stuff wasn't allowed in California even if it didn't affect the emissions equipment. I think that is changing now though but the manufacturer has to go through special steps to get it approved for California. So your tuner isn't legal for use in California technically.

But going back to the custom tune question, I don't think that Gearhead nor Innovative Diesel make on-road custom tunes for the 6.4
Old 02-21-2014, 05:08 PM
Premium Member

Dude chill, you are fine.

Unless you are blowing crazy smoke down the highway or being a Jerk to PoPo no one will care.

Heck several cops asked me to hook them up with DPF /EGR delete tune for their SCT 3015.

No comment on city mech
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.