Electric exhaust dump - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-19-2014, 07:59 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Colorado
Posts: 39
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Electric exhaust dump

Looking for some info. Have an 08. DPF still attached But have gathered enough money to delete. I live in Colorado and don't want to reinstall the dpf every year want to upgrade the downpipe keep the cat than do a 4" electric cut-out or "dump" before dpf. would this work? might be a dumb question but I don't know if that short of pipe would cause issues with backpressure. I know the cut-out wouldn't stop all smog from getting to the dpf but it would be no big deal at that point to open the cut-out and run a cleaning every once in awhile. just a thought what do yall think
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 02-19-2014, 08:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,706
Thanks: 1
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wont work. No where to mount it between the cat and dpf, just buy a race pipe that deletes the dpf/doc. You can run an aftermarket downpipe such as Powerstroker67's downpipe and your dpf/doc will bolt right back up to it like it would stock..

It is pretty easy to drop the dpf/doc as one piece and then reinstall. Don't buy just the dpf delete and leave the cat in place as that take more time than dropping as one unit. You have two bolts at the downpipe end and one clamp at the dpf exit end then the couple of plugs to unplug. I would buy an H&S or Spartan for this reason since you can just unplug the sensors and leave in the dpf/doc when you remove
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to WoodBoy For This Useful Post:
strokedmybusiness (02-19-2014)
  #3  
Old 02-19-2014, 08:20 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Colorado
Posts: 39
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Alright thanks for the reply guess I could have looked before one of those late night ideas .... that seemed genius guess not
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 02-19-2014, 08:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,706
Thanks: 1
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Another quick tip.. Instead of fighting those rubber grommets that the hangers are in for the dpf, just unbolt the whole hanger from the frame rail. I think there are two or three hangers, I cant recall exactly, but each one has three little bolts (maybe 12mm or 14mm nuts?)holding it to the frame. The race pipe doesn't need them as it doesn't weight anything
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 02-19-2014, 08:27 PM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: West By God Virginia
Posts: 1,641
Thanks: 27
Thanked 61 Times in 58 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by strokedmybusiness View Post
Looking for some info. Have an 08. DPF still attached But have gathered enough money to delete. I live in Colorado and don't want to reinstall the dpf every year want to upgrade the downpipe keep the cat than do a 4" electric cut-out or "dump" before dpf. would this work? might be a dumb question but I don't know if that short of pipe would cause issues with backpressure. I know the cut-out wouldn't stop all smog from getting to the dpf but it would be no big deal at that point to open the cut-out and run a cleaning every once in awhile. just a thought what do yall think
I am with Woodboy. It would be much simpler to swap a pipe out. Unless you create something so that you can pull the cut-out pipe off and seal your DP so that you could remove the cut-out quickly, you will still have the cut-out on your truck when you are being test by the emissions people. Since the cut-out would be pre-DPF, I would bet they would fail you anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 02-19-2014, 08:35 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Colorado
Posts: 39
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks probably over thinking the whole deal. tryin to get way to tricky when ill most likely get caught anyways
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 02-20-2014, 06:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 190
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodBoy View Post
Another quick tip.. Instead of fighting those rubber grommets that the hangers are in for the dpf, just unbolt the whole hanger from the frame rail. I think there are two or three hangers, I cant recall exactly, but each one has three little bolts (maybe 12mm or 14mm nuts?)holding it to the frame. The race pipe doesn't need them as it doesn't weight anything
I agree with you on everything you said except i didn't have many issues with the grommets, i just sprayed a bunch of silicon lube in there and they slid right out.

I will also add that an air chisel/hammer makes this job much much easier the first time you do it. It will also keep you from destroying the existing pipe so that it can be re-used. Just my 2 cents.

The delete pipe makes it sound a little deeper than stock if you don't mind the "hairdryer" sound that everybody seems to hate. Never really bothered me, Its nice letting people know you have a couple of bad a** turbo's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 02-20-2014, 08:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,706
Thanks: 1
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD350 View Post
I agree with you on everything you said except i didn't have many issues with the grommets, i just sprayed a bunch of silicon lube in there and they slid right out.

I will also add that an air chisel/hammer makes this job much much easier the first time you do it. It will also keep you from destroying the existing pipe so that it can be re-used. Just my 2 cents.

The delete pipe makes it sound a little deeper than stock if you don't mind the "hairdryer" sound that everybody seems to hate. Never really bothered me, Its nice letting people know you have a couple of bad a** turbo's.
Yeah the grommets have never been a problem for me either, it was just a quick tip incase he is ever putting the dpf/doc back on by himself. It is easier to pick it up IMO and slide those hangers in the holes and hand tighten a nut or two on the backside with your left hand. What did you need a air chisel for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 02-21-2014, 06:12 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Poughkeepsie, Arkansas
Posts: 255
Thanks: 11
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just did this last weekend so my mind is still... Kinda... Fresh lol. I couldn't get the hangars out of the grommets so I did as previously stated and unbolted them from the frame. They are 13mm bolts for the 3 hangars. There is a small one right behind the dp. It only has 2 bolts holding it to the frame. Then there is a hangar on the dpf and one on the pipe immediately after the dpf. These each have 3 bolts holding them

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 02-21-2014, 06:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 190
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodBoy View Post
Yeah the grommets have never been a problem for me either, it was just a quick tip incase he is ever putting the dpf/doc back on by himself. It is easier to pick it up IMO and slide those hangers in the holes and hand tighten a nut or two on the backside with your left hand. What did you need a air chisel for?
I used it to break the rust free taking the old exhaust off, where the pieces slide into one another. Just made things easier for me, instead of heating with a torch and warping everything. To each their own i guess.

I honestly never even thought of just taking the bolts out just seems too simple! haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors