H&s hot tune effects - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2014, 02:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
H&s hot tune effects

My 6.4 has 180k+ on it now, wondering how hard is hot tune on the engine. Engine has been tuned most of its miles, and i love the trucks power but never run it on hot or wild because i'm not sure the impact it has on the engine. Of course romping on a diesel everywhere aint ganna make it last any longer but just wondering if its ok to run on hot every once in a while without having to worry bout my engine blowing or something

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2014, 03:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i ran hd300 for a long time then blew my headgaskets. just remember you can only beat on something so long til it breaks or needs fixing,but you can run it on hot all day if you want, only hing hot does is change the pulse width of the injector, so just adds more fuel
Old 02-19-2014, 05:26 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brysonperry View Post
My 6.4 has 180k+ on it now, wondering how hard is hot tune on the engine. Engine has been tuned most of its miles, and i love the trucks power but never run it on hot or wild because i'm not sure the impact it has on the engine. Of course romping on a diesel everywhere aint ganna make it last any longer but just wondering if its ok to run on hot every once in a while without having to worry bout my engine blowing or something

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Your right foot will be the biggest factor....like it was already mentioned, the PW is the only significant change.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:35 PM

no advance in timing?

x3 on how driver has biggest impact on health of engine.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:51 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt dong View Post
no advance in timing?

x3 on how driver has biggest impact on health of engine.
No, timing is the same all 4 tunes that you load. That was something I was hoping would change when MCC was released, but it didn't. If you could change the timing and RP, you could have 4 completely different tunes (like EFI which has 5 completely different tunes).
Old 02-19-2014, 06:03 PM

havent had time to really look at mcc in depth. i guess custom would fill the need for something more specific.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:10 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt dong View Post
havent had time to really look at mcc in depth. i guess custom would fill the need for something more specific.
That is still a downfall with custom tunes...they can't adjust those parameters either (in the 4 tunes). When I first heard MCC was being released, I planned on having a tow tune, a mileage tune, a street tune, and all out performance tune. Unfortunately, that is not how it works. Right now, I have Matt's regular "performance" tune (I am not sure what he calls it on H&S) and I have his tow tune. I can only load 1 or the other. FYI even with a manual tranny, they are well worth it.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:16 PM
Premium Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by B585Ford View Post
That is still a downfall with custom tunes...they can't adjust those parameters either (in the 4 tunes). When I first heard MCC was being released, I planned on having a tow tune, a mileage tune, a street tune, and all out performance tune. Unfortunately, that is not how it works. Right now, I have Matt's regular "performance" tune (I am not sure what he calls it on H&S) and I have his tow tune. I can only load 1 or the other. FYI even with a manual tranny, they are well worth it.
So what would be the purpose to purchase the tuning package from gearhead if only pw changes, rip off? Or should you receive a engine file for each tune purchased(I.e street,tow,race)? I know I got 3 trans files to load separately but only 1 engine file? Thanks, Jayson.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:55 PM

The ability to change timing and etc is there. The ability for Shift on the fly to swap timing tables between tunes isn't available. So whatever tunes you have loaded are all running the same timing table as each other. Doesn't mean the timing hasn't been altered. Your H&S tunes definitely aren't running the same timing as stock settings, its just that when you first program a set of tunes, you program the timing table and the tunes you will be shifting on the fly all will be running that same timing table but when you swap tunes on the fly, it will just change the pw settings. Smell what I'm stepping in?
lhood6.7 likes this.

Last edited by WoodBoy; 02-19-2014 at 09:21 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to WoodBoy For This Useful Post:
StrokiNDieseL (02-19-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 03:24 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodBoy View Post
The ability to change timing and etc is there. The ability for Shift on the fly to swap timing tables between tunes isn't available. So whatever tunes you have loaded are all running the same timing table as each other. Doesn't mean the timing hasn't been altered. Your H&S tunes definitely aren't running the same timing as stock settings, its just that when you first program a set of tunes, you program the timing table and the tunes you will be shifting on the fly all will be running that same timing table but when you swap tunes on the fly, it will just change the pw settings. Smell what I'm stepping in?
^^^exactly what he said. I was only referring to when you load an engine file, the timing and RP are the same on all 4 of those tunes (stock, mild, wild, hot Damn). If you load a different engine file, you will have another set of 4 tunes (with a different RP and timing).
01wj likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.