Testing in Illinois? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2014, 10:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Testing in Illinois?

just curious if anyone has heard anything about emmision testing in Illinois? Right now, we don't do it, but I think about the...What & When they do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2014, 10:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Air Team - Illinois Vehicle Emission Test Program

Q. Why doesn't this program test diesel powered vehicles?
A. The federal Clean Air Act does not require the inclusion of diesel-powered vehicles in emissions testing programs. However, the State of Illinois has implemented a program to inspect certain heavy-duty diesel powered trucks over 16,000 lbs in ozone non-attainment areas. This program is administered by the Illinois Department of Transportation.

Exempt, Kit and Custom Vehicles
The following vehicles are exempt from vehicle emissions tests:
Diesel-powered vehicles and vehicles that are powered exclusively by electricity;
Motorcycles, motor-driven cycles and motorized pedal-cycles;
Antique vehicles, custom vehicles, street rods, and vehicles of model year 1967 or before.
Vehicles operated exclusively for parade or ceremonial purposes by any veterans, fraternal, or civic organization, organized on a not-for-profit basis; *
Vehicles of model year 1995 or before that were in compliance with the Illinois Vehicle Emissions Inspection Law on February 1, 2007;
Farm vehicles and implements of husbandry;
Vehicles registered in, subject to, and in compliance with the emission inspection requirements of another state;
Vehicles for which a Junking Certificate has been issued by the Secretary of State pursuant to the Illinois Vehicle Code (625 ILCS 5/3-117);
Vehicles operated exclusively in organized amateur or professional sporting activities as defined in the Environmental Protection Act (415 ILCS 5/1 et seq.);

Race Car/Show Car affidavits are available at test stations. Please read and complete the affidavit carefully, and enclose all required documentation. The affidavit must be resubmitted every two years to retain the exemption. Any questions can be directed to the Illinois EPA at (217)785-7449.
Implements of warfare owned by the State or federal government.
“Custom vehicles” are defined in the Illinois Vehicle Code (625 ILCS 5/1-113) as a motor vehicle that is at least 25 years of age and of a model year after 1948 or a vehicle that is certified by an inspector of the National Street Rod Association, on a form prescribed by the Secretary of State, to be a custom vehicle manufactured to resemble a vehicle that is at least 25 years of age and of a model year after 1948 and has been altered from the manufacturer original design or has a body constructed from non-original materials and which is maintained for occasional transportation, exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours and similar uses and which is not used for general daily transportation.

“Street rods” are defined in the Illinois Vehicle Code (625 ILCS 5/1-202) as a motor vehicle that is a 1948 or older vehicle or a vehicle that that has been certified by an inspector of the National Street Rod Association, on a form prescribed by the Secretary of State, to be a street rod that was manufactured after 1948 to resemble a vehicle that was manufactured before 1949 and has been altered from the manufacturer‘s original design or has a body constructed from non-original materials and which is maintained for occasional transportation, exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours and similar uses and which is not used for general daily transportation.

625┬*ILCS┬*5/┬*Illinois Vehicle Code.

If you have any other questions, please visit the Customer Service Representative at any of the vehicle emissions testing stations, call the Illinois EPA at (800) 635-2380, or check this website for updates.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I know I read that too....I'm more curious what the plan moving forward is. That has been on their website for years. Again, I know what the current laws are now, I have owned diesels since 1997. I just hate thinking about the "What if they change the requirments?"

I work for local governement, and we now have to test out big deisels including our fire trucks. I spoke with one of the fleet guys, and he said that Illinois is so broke right now that they would like to generate some income on diesel testing. If you live in Illinois, that should not surprise you. I also know that my dad went to get his safety sticker, and they did a visual on his truck....The guys were cool, but they knew what was up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.