Full Motor Build - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2014, 10:58 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Full Motor Build

Hey ya'll, I recently picked up a complete long block 6.4 with everything but the turbos, and Im starting to rebuild the entire motor. My goal hp range is 800+, but still street able. I would like to get some opinions on certain things though.

Dual siemens (k16) fuelers or a dual cp3 setup?
What combination of turbos (s366/s475 etc..)
Which pistons and should i get the internals cryo'd?
Also, any weak points in the motor that i should be aware of?

thank you, Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2014, 04:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Once you have the engine broken down to the block have a machine shop measure the bore and taper of the cylinders. This will tell you what piston options you can use. I'm going to assume that an overbore will be in order. Currently there are no aftermarket options for oversize pistons, so you will need to use OEM in 0.010, 0.020 or 0.030 oversizes. Then you can have them 'de-lipped', valve reliefs cut and coated, whatever you fancy. I used 0.030" and had them de-lipped. This is thought to greatly reduce the chances of pistons cracking.

Cyro treating is probably overkill, but that's just my 2 cents.

With that kind of HP goal and aftermarket turbos make sure to do valve springs, pushrods and rockers. You want to make sure the exhaust valve closes under high drive pressure.

Headstuds are a must, ARP, A1, H-11, I will let you make the choice. Bottom line is they are all better than stock when installed correctly.
Good luck with the build, I will be following along
Old 02-17-2014, 07:07 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetersMatt7 View Post
Hey ya'll, I recently picked up a complete long block 6.4 with everything but the turbos, and Im starting to rebuild the entire motor. My goal hp range is 800+, but still street able. I would like to get some opinions on certain things though.

Dual siemens (k16) fuelers or a dual cp3 setup?
What combination of turbos (s366/s475 etc..)
Which pistons and should i get the internals cryo'd?
Also, any weak points in the motor that i should be aware of?

thank you, Matt
Nobody makes a CP3 kit for the 6.4 so you will be running dual K16s. There are no reliable modded K16s so that is also not an option. You will want to do at least 50% nozzles (probably a little more) if you want to definitely be 800+ RWHP. You will definitely need a LP fuel system and a fuel bowl delete. At that level, you will want a No Limits CAI.

As was already stated, if you have to bore the block at all, your only option is factory pistons in the specs that were stated. Definitely need delipped. Personally, I would do the thermal coating. Valve reliefs are nice insurance in case something breaks and/or you over-rev it.

Turbos....that will be largely dependent on what your goals (exactly what is your HP goal, will it be doing any competitions, and how steetable and reliable do you want it)....singles,compounds, triples, etc. You will have to decide on a WG setup after you pick your chargers. I would definitely want new rockers and lifters and you will need a valvetrain upgrade (springs and pushrods). At 800 RWHP, you will be starting to ask a lot of of your factory rods so that would be a consideration (they aren't cheap). Budget also will obviously affect this. Of course, you will need a pretty significant upgrade on the trans.

Tell us more about your goals and use and we can give you more details.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by B585Ford View Post
Nobody makes a CP3 kit for the 6.4 so you will be running dual K16s. .
RCD's kit uses a CP3.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:01 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodBoy View Post
RCD's kit uses a CP3.
The OP said dual CP3s and that is what I was referring to. The RCD kit uses 1 CP3 and 1 K16.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Pistons are your weak point.

Have you considered any of the modded stock turbos. I know a few trucks have put down around 800 with the larger setups and spool up is instant.

Elite has a 76/59 and RCD makes a 75/59.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:24 AM

Thanks for the info guys! I have a lot to consider but it will be worth it in the end
Old 02-18-2014, 09:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by B585Ford View Post
The OP said dual CP3s and that is what I was referring to. The RCD kit uses 1 CP3 and 1 K16.
Ohh I took it as he knew he had a stock K16 that couldnt be replaced using a CP3 and he meant dual fuelers using the CP3 setup.....
Old 02-18-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove View Post
Once you have the engine broken down to the block have a machine shop measure the bore and taper of the cylinders. This will tell you what piston options you can use. I'm going to assume that an overbore will be in order. Currently there are no aftermarket options for oversize pistons, so you will need to use OEM in 0.010, 0.020 or 0.030 oversizes. Then you can have them 'de-lipped', valve reliefs cut and coated, whatever you fancy. I used 0.030" and had them de-lipped. This is thought to greatly reduce the chances of pistons cracking.

Cyro treating is probably overkill, but that's just my 2 cents.

With that kind of HP goal and aftermarket turbos make sure to do valve springs, pushrods and rockers. You want to make sure the exhaust valve closes under high drive pressure.

Headstuds are a must, ARP, A1, H-11, I will let you make the choice. Bottom line is they are all better than stock when installed correctly.
Good luck with the build, I will be following along
Thank you roughly what did you have into it at the machine shop, price wise?
Old 02-18-2014, 10:04 AM

has anybody used a setup like the mpd guys? with an entire custom turbo setup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.