Full Motor Build - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-17-2014, 10:58 AM
Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Pueblo
Posts: 44
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Full Motor Build

Hey ya'll, I recently picked up a complete long block 6.4 with everything but the turbos, and Im starting to rebuild the entire motor. My goal hp range is 800+, but still street able. I would like to get some opinions on certain things though.

Dual siemens (k16) fuelers or a dual cp3 setup?
What combination of turbos (s366/s475 etc..)
Which pistons and should i get the internals cryo'd?
Also, any weak points in the motor that i should be aware of?

thank you, Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 02-17-2014, 04:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 131
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Once you have the engine broken down to the block have a machine shop measure the bore and taper of the cylinders. This will tell you what piston options you can use. I'm going to assume that an overbore will be in order. Currently there are no aftermarket options for oversize pistons, so you will need to use OEM in 0.010, 0.020 or 0.030 oversizes. Then you can have them 'de-lipped', valve reliefs cut and coated, whatever you fancy. I used 0.030" and had them de-lipped. This is thought to greatly reduce the chances of pistons cracking.

Cyro treating is probably overkill, but that's just my 2 cents.

With that kind of HP goal and aftermarket turbos make sure to do valve springs, pushrods and rockers. You want to make sure the exhaust valve closes under high drive pressure.

Headstuds are a must, ARP, A1, H-11, I will let you make the choice. Bottom line is they are all better than stock when installed correctly.
Good luck with the build, I will be following along
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 02-17-2014, 07:07 PM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: West By God Virginia
Posts: 1,557
Thanks: 24
Thanked 57 Times in 54 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetersMatt7 View Post
Hey ya'll, I recently picked up a complete long block 6.4 with everything but the turbos, and Im starting to rebuild the entire motor. My goal hp range is 800+, but still street able. I would like to get some opinions on certain things though.

Dual siemens (k16) fuelers or a dual cp3 setup?
What combination of turbos (s366/s475 etc..)
Which pistons and should i get the internals cryo'd?
Also, any weak points in the motor that i should be aware of?

thank you, Matt
Nobody makes a CP3 kit for the 6.4 so you will be running dual K16s. There are no reliable modded K16s so that is also not an option. You will want to do at least 50% nozzles (probably a little more) if you want to definitely be 800+ RWHP. You will definitely need a LP fuel system and a fuel bowl delete. At that level, you will want a No Limits CAI.

As was already stated, if you have to bore the block at all, your only option is factory pistons in the specs that were stated. Definitely need delipped. Personally, I would do the thermal coating. Valve reliefs are nice insurance in case something breaks and/or you over-rev it.

Turbos....that will be largely dependent on what your goals (exactly what is your HP goal, will it be doing any competitions, and how steetable and reliable do you want it)....singles,compounds, triples, etc. You will have to decide on a WG setup after you pick your chargers. I would definitely want new rockers and lifters and you will need a valvetrain upgrade (springs and pushrods). At 800 RWHP, you will be starting to ask a lot of of your factory rods so that would be a consideration (they aren't cheap). Budget also will obviously affect this. Of course, you will need a pretty significant upgrade on the trans.

Tell us more about your goals and use and we can give you more details.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 02-18-2014, 05:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,706
Thanks: 1
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by B585Ford View Post
Nobody makes a CP3 kit for the 6.4 so you will be running dual K16s. .
RCD's kit uses a CP3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 02-18-2014, 08:01 AM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: West By God Virginia
Posts: 1,557
Thanks: 24
Thanked 57 Times in 54 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodBoy View Post
RCD's kit uses a CP3.
The OP said dual CP3s and that is what I was referring to. The RCD kit uses 1 CP3 and 1 K16.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 02-18-2014, 09:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor



 

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 8,745
Thanks: 3
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Pistons are your weak point.

Have you considered any of the modded stock turbos. I know a few trucks have put down around 800 with the larger setups and spool up is instant.

Elite has a 76/59 and RCD makes a 75/59.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 02-18-2014, 09:24 AM
Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Pueblo
Posts: 44
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks for the info guys! I have a lot to consider but it will be worth it in the end
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 02-18-2014, 09:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,706
Thanks: 1
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by B585Ford View Post
The OP said dual CP3s and that is what I was referring to. The RCD kit uses 1 CP3 and 1 K16.
Ohh I took it as he knew he had a stock K16 that couldnt be replaced using a CP3 and he meant dual fuelers using the CP3 setup.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 02-18-2014, 10:02 AM
Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Pueblo
Posts: 44
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove View Post
Once you have the engine broken down to the block have a machine shop measure the bore and taper of the cylinders. This will tell you what piston options you can use. I'm going to assume that an overbore will be in order. Currently there are no aftermarket options for oversize pistons, so you will need to use OEM in 0.010, 0.020 or 0.030 oversizes. Then you can have them 'de-lipped', valve reliefs cut and coated, whatever you fancy. I used 0.030" and had them de-lipped. This is thought to greatly reduce the chances of pistons cracking.

Cyro treating is probably overkill, but that's just my 2 cents.

With that kind of HP goal and aftermarket turbos make sure to do valve springs, pushrods and rockers. You want to make sure the exhaust valve closes under high drive pressure.

Headstuds are a must, ARP, A1, H-11, I will let you make the choice. Bottom line is they are all better than stock when installed correctly.
Good luck with the build, I will be following along
Thank you roughly what did you have into it at the machine shop, price wise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 02-18-2014, 10:04 AM
Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Pueblo
Posts: 44
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
has anybody used a setup like the mpd guys? with an entire custom turbo setup?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors