Tuner without deletes? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2014, 12:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tuner without deletes?

I'm sure this has been discussed in other threads but I'd like an unbiased opinion on running a tuner without doing deletes! The reasoning behind no deletes is I don't want to get into changeing from stock to deletes and back if and when they start cracking down on emissions. Also, my 2008 6.4 runs like a swiss watch and does regens without any ill side effects.
I will be towing a 3 horse gooseneck (about 11,000 pounds) off and on. My main reason for a tuner would be a little more HP increase for towing and better all around fuel economy.

1. Does the fuel (MPG) increase?
2. Is there a noticeable improvement in power and towing/shifting?
3. What would you recommend for a tuner and tunes without breaking my bank account? I've been looking at the SCT SF3 3015
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2014, 12:48 PM

I drove a 2010 450 for a while with Spartan on the 150 hp on road tuning. There was no improvement in mpg. There was a pretty big improvement in power and towing.

I would not recommend buying a tuner and running on road tunes though unless you are just doing it to get by before you delete. The dpf is too prone to clogging up and causing more problems. I just ordered a dpf-r today for a guy who has been running a tuner for a while and now his dpf is clogged up
Old 02-12-2014, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodBoy View Post
I drove a 2010 450 for a while with Spartan on the 150 hp on road tuning. There was no improvement in mpg. There was a pretty big improvement in power and towing.

I would not recommend buying a tuner and running on road tunes though unless you are just doing it to get by before you delete. The dpf is too prone to clogging up and causing more problems. I just ordered a dpf-r today for a guy who has been running a tuner for a while and now his dpf is clogged up
I'm leaning more towards doing the deletes now. The more I read the more confused I get!
Old 02-12-2014, 04:36 AM

I ran my h&s in street until my warranty expired. Mpg increase was negligible. Regents were twice as frequent.

I deleted as soon as the warranty was up and should have done it sooner. There's is nothing to be confused about - the system design is awful. If I lived in emission states I would just spend 2 hours once a year dropping the Dpf and reinstalling to meet the test.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:46 AM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
yeah there wont be any mpg gains because the added soot from more power is gonna cause alot more regens so you may actually see mpg's go down. if i were you id get a dpf delete/cat delete pipe because i can swap a dpf section quick. so if needed you can throw it back on there for emissions. i can have my 5" off and dpf and stock tailpipe on in an hour and a half.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoofdoctor View Post
I'm leaning more towards doing the deletes now. The more I read the more confused I get!
These new exhaust systems are doing more damage to an engine than they are worth IMHO, the 6.4L get horrible fuel mileage because of the regen process. My brother who own's a Chevy 2500HD with a Duramax is actually waiting for his warranty too run out so he can delete his truck and tune it, and then I've heard that the fed's want too make it illegal too purchase delete kit's so I told him he needed to buy his stuff now before he can't.

I'm lucky I have the old 7.3L so no regen or emission too deal with.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:13 AM

Okay, so now question 4!

4. What is the most economical way to do a tuner, and egr/dpf delete with the pipe? I don't need anything hot, just looking for better performance and reliability with MPG increase...........Not trying to be cheep but I have a wife that I know won't understand my next move!
Old 02-12-2014, 08:30 AM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoofdoctor View Post
Okay, so now question 4!

4. What is the most economical way to do a tuner, and egr/dpf delete with the pipe? I don't need anything hot, just looking for better performance and reliability with MPG increase...........Not trying to be cheep but I have a wife that I know won't understand my next move!
You may look into dpf-r. I haven't used one personally but the latest one is supposedly works perfect. They sell one that just allows for dpf/egr delete with stock tuning or one that has a slight performance boost. That would be your cheapest route. Only thing with using those is you have to remove the sensors out of the dpf and keep them plugged in where spartan and h&s you can unplug the sensors and leave them in the dpf when you take it off.
The Following User Says Thank You to travisH3 For This Useful Post:
hoofdoctor (02-12-2014)
Old 02-12-2014, 09:51 AM

SCT requires sensors plugged in to, fyi if you go that route.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sam Hain For This Useful Post:
hoofdoctor (02-12-2014)
Old 02-12-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Hain View Post
SCT requires sensors plugged in to, fyi if you go that route.
Reading up on all this egr dpf delete stuff. Should just stop reading and set the hook before it drives me crazy!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.