DPF, CAT & EGR Deletes - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2014, 07:35 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DPF, CAT & EGR Deletes

I know there are hundreds if not thousands of threads regarding this subject, and I've done a fair amount of reading through them, now I have some questions as it relates to my truck.

First off I'm new to the forum so thanks for an awesome site and great information

Purchased my truck about a month ago and has an Edge Evolution, Banks ram air and aftermarket exhaust, dpf back(appears to be 4 inch).

Looking at doing the deletes and a spartan tuner.
Questions I have:
Can I utilize existing exhaust or is it going to be too hard to join the race pipe to existing piping?
Will I notice better MPG with these deletes and Spartan?
Is EGR delete worth it? I know there are many different variations of kits.
Lastly, Is it worth replacing the Downpipe?

Not trying to make a race truck out of it, like the extra HP for sure but the ultimate goal is to keep good driveability and maximize MPG(when I'm not getting my foot into it

Thanks again for the help and sorry for so many questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2014, 09:07 AM

So I've done more research and I think I'm going with H&S and race pipe. Haven't decided on egr delete or not. How important/necessary do you guys think it is?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 02-13-2014, 04:39 PM
Premium Member

DPF and EGR fast as possible.

I blocked my EGR off at 20k and I don't idle unless stuck in traffic and I had about 1/4 inch thick of soot in my air intake when they removed the EGR to show how had his crap get stuck in theses.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:40 PM
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown99 View Post
I know there are hundreds if not thousands of threads regarding this subject, and I've done a fair amount of reading through them, now I have some questions as it relates to my truck.

First off I'm new to the forum so thanks for an awesome site and great information

Purchased my truck about a month ago and has an Edge Evolution, Banks ram air and aftermarket exhaust, dpf back(appears to be 4 inch).

Looking at doing the deletes and a spartan tuner. Both Spartan and H&S are great tuners
Questions I have:
Can I utilize existing exhaust or is it going to be too hard to join the race pipe to existing piping? Yes. basically the race pipe is just the forward part of the full pipe that the previous owner didn't buy.
Will I notice better MPG with these deletes and Spartan? yes. you will see better MPGs... but take this with a grain of salt. Higher tunes will give you higher MPGs ON THE HIGHWAY. In town you won't see a ton of improvements. you are after all trying to get a 4 ton truck moving. Also if you can't keep your foot off the fun pedal you won't get better MPGs (and believe me, once its tuned this is harder than you can imagine... it is a ton of fun to surprise mustangs and other such sports cars).
Is EGR delete worth it? yes. some time you have an hour or 2, take the EGR valve intake off your intake manifold (I believe you can get it off with just a few bolts) and look into your intake manifold. you will notice it is caked in carbon that has been recycled into your engine from your exhaust. if you can't do the full delete, do the block off plates. But if you can I would still try to eventually plan on the full delete.I know there are many different variations of kits.
Lastly, Is it worth replacing the Downpipe? Yes. look below for how constricted the stock downpipe looks. It will clear up some of your exhaust and drop your EGTs a little bit.

Not trying to make a race truck out of it, like the extra HP for sure but the ultimate goal is to keep good driveability and maximize MPG(when I'm not getting my foot into it

Thanks again for the help and sorry for so many questions.
See above comments

ccdemo71 and Lilneill6.4 like this.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryAggie View Post
See above comments

Thanks a lot for the info!!

I just had the emissions done so I'm good for 2 years, so I'll certainly do the turbo back race pipe. As for the EGR, I'm not sure if that is included in the emissions test?? If so I dont think I want to mess with that install every 2 years .

Maybe just do the block off plates and turn it off in the tuner, sufficient?
Old 02-19-2014, 06:19 AM

I plan on ordering Race pipe, EGR Delete, CAC pipe and H&S. Seems everyone recommends Rudys? Best price and good support?
Old 02-19-2014, 07:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Rollin smoke diesel have good prices and excellent service too.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:06 AM

What to expect

Ordered Mini Maxx, DPF/Cat delete and also EGR Delete. I have read as much as possible, watched videos on installs, read install directions etc.

What else should i expect? Any crazy tips? I may not install the EGR delete at the same time, can I do everything else and tell the Mini Maxx not to disable the EGR yet?

Not worried about the physical installs, just want to make sure I do everything right on the Mini Maxx, which may be super easy and walk me right through it but just dont know yet......

Just want to make sure when I go to do all this I'm not stuck wishing i had asked more questions or waiting on answers!

Thanks again.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:06 PM
Premium Member

install minimaxx 1st, this make sure truck loads tuner w/o any troubles. it will ask if emissions are present, answer correctly if emission are present!

Once you do deletes re-tune it & go load process again & answer questions correctly! Always remember EASY tune cycles the EGR systems, If its removed DO NOT USE EASY tuning. Good luck, Jayson.
Lilneill6.4 likes this.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokiNDieseL View Post
install minimaxx 1st, this make sure truck loads tuner w/o any troubles. it will ask if emissions are present, answer correctly if emission are present!

Once you do deletes re-tune it & go load process again & answer questions correctly! Always remember EASY tune cycles the EGR systems, If its removed DO NOT USE EASY tuning. Good luck, Jayson.
Thank you for the info! When the Maxx asks if emissions are present is it strictly referring to EGR or is there a subset of questions following to choose EGR on/off and DPF on/off?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.