daily driving an Xtreme Race tune - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2014, 05:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smile daily driving an Xtreme Race tune

Hey guys just wanted some advice. Im sure if i spent hours and the search i could get an idea however i want good advice in my scenario...

so i have a 2010 ccsb with around 93k miles on it. its been deleted since 85k miles, meaning no dpf or doc... still has the egr on it but i have it turned off... ive been daily driving the IDP Xtreme Race Tune for the majority of this time and its popped in my head that this wont last forever...

so the question is will this tune (325/330hp) lift my heads?
guessing at some point it will... if i do studs and new oil cooler would i be safe? or just buying a larger time frame before failure?

i dont tow at all anymore, i jsut use this as a dd and i run it pretty hard to be honest.. just looking for good solid info on whether or not i can continue to beat on this thing with the big tune.. after studs should i still be worried or should i just go back to the car scene? i know im pushing past what it was meant for .... im just not up to par with how much i can pull from this motor and still expect it to hold....

i do all fluids and filters every 5k keeping a solid maintenance schedule but im afraid that may not be enough....

so to sum up my crazy post... am i safe now or will i be safe after studs? continuing the IDP tune and daily driving and a few WOT runs a week...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2014, 11:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you do WOT a couple times a week, I would say it wouldn't be long before you start puking some coolant. I've seen guys have 50+ passes at the track on 310+ tunes and no problems and then I've seen some on just a 210ish tune blow gaskets. So its kinda hit or miss. The extreme X is supposed to be a little better on head bolts due to it not having quite as much fuel down low as the extreme race but they fuel the same up top.

I would expect to have to drop a set of ARP studs in one day if you do a couple WOT passes a week.

Also, one thing to help them last as long as possible is to make sure your coolant temp is at least 180-185* before getting on it
Old 02-08-2014, 03:10 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodBoy View Post
If you do WOT a couple times a week, I would say it wouldn't be long before you start puking some coolant. I've seen guys have 50+ passes at the track on 310+ tunes and no problems and then I've seen some on just a 210ish tune blow gaskets. So its kinda hit or miss. The extreme X is supposed to be a little better on head bolts due to it not having quite as much fuel down low as the extreme race but they fuel the same up top.

I would expect to have to drop a set of ARP studs in one day if you do a couple WOT passes a week.

Also, one thing to help them last as long as possible is to make sure your coolant temp is at least 180-185* before getting on it

Wood hits it perfectly.. It's the PSI over 45 you have to worry about blowing your head gaskets.

Also how's your EBP doing? When you removed your DPF/CAT did it changed that much?

I have my DPF/EGR removed but have CAT still and I noticed my EBP is better but I thought it would be a lot lower in the whole RPM range.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:12 PM
Premium Member

Also I don't think +300HP will blow your gasket but maybe crack a piston.
I think anything over +200 and you might be asking for it no matter how easy you drive it.

Tunes advance the timing like crazy and this is what is causing lots of issues with the higher tunes..
Old 02-08-2014, 03:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Cracked pistons happen from stock trucks to medium light footed tunes and up. I have seen quite a few high hp trucks (over 700rwhp) that run stock pistons just fine though. So I wouldn't refer to them cracking in tuning.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:39 PM

Lifting the heads has been my biggest concern since installing my tuner. I have all deletes plus EGR and have been switching between IDP Street/Xtreme Street for 50K miles. At 80k now. So far so good. My xtreme street sees 50 psi boost and 1500 Egt but I back out quick. I have only WOT that tune once and it made me gun shy. Too sissy to try Xrace. I run street mostly since I can stomp it and push no more than 45 psi and 1400 EGT. I never race it. I say drive it till it pukes then deal with it. I hope mine never does but it would give me an excuse to do some upgrades!
Old 02-08-2014, 08:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

yes since ive deleted the dpf i have been driving like crazy on the XRace Tune... it gets good fuel mpg when i baby it and it just stomps anything 0-100mph it comes up against lol... its so much fun but like i said now i wanna start preparing for the damages... i want to stud it but i just cant find anyone who can tell me if the truck will take this abuse after studs... im asuming it will....

as far as EBP, i havent paid much attention to that... i do however let it warm up and baby it until the thermos open and everything is at operating temp...

scary thing is ive seen 1800 degrees once on a pass... i immediately let out of it... i think getting a full 4" downpipe and all would help on temps....

can anyone explain to me the EOT ECT delta relation? i monitor both on my livewire their always around same place +/- 2 after a WOT ....
Old 02-08-2014, 09:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i must have a pretty strong engine from the get go becuase i think the truck has see 3/4 hard 4x4 launched per week and countless 20-30mph rolls WOT to 70+ getting on the freeway...
Old 02-09-2014, 12:01 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bad64 View Post
yes since ive deleted the dpf i have been driving like crazy on the XRace Tune... it gets good fuel mpg when i baby it and it just stomps anything 0-100mph it comes up against lol... its so much fun but like i said now i wanna start preparing for the damages... i want to stud it but i just cant find anyone who can tell me if the truck will take this abuse after studs... im asuming it will....

as far as EBP, i havent paid much attention to that... i do however let it warm up and baby it until the thermos open and everything is at operating temp...

scary thing is ive seen 1800 degrees once on a pass... i immediately let out of it... i think getting a full 4" downpipe and all would help on temps....

can anyone explain to me the EOT ECT delta relation? i monitor both on my livewire their always around same place +/- 2 after a WOT ....
How do you get your LW to read +/-2 for EOT and ECT? My LW read oil in degrees C and ECT in degrees F. IMO, watching the difference in temps for ECT and EOT doesn't tell you much about your HG health. There are too many other factors that contribute. When my truck was puking, I don't remember seeing a big difference in them.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yea that might be what I was watching... its been a minute since ive actually drove it... been over seas for a few months now...

So u have yours studded, since tge studs have you had any issues? Do you run a high hp tune?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.