DPF/CAT delete pipe - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2008, 04:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DPF/CAT delete pipe

does anyone have any suggestions on how to get powerstroker67's pipe in on the muffler side? i have someone who is having some problems. 3 1/2 stock exhaust but it does not seem to want to slide in....any suggestions???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2008, 05:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

you can beat it in there but then you are not able to turn it to match up with the downpipe...anyone....
Old 10-20-2008, 05:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Have you tried a ratchet strap puling from the back of the truck?
Old 10-20-2008, 05:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am the guy with the problem. I am not sure how the ratchet strap would work. I can beat it in there but can't turn it to match the down pipe. I can't turn it initially and then beat it in because the belled out side catches on the down pipe. With what i have the only way i can install it is to slide it in and then turn but the tolerance makes it turning impossible.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:31 PM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmathews View Post
I am the guy with the problem. I am not sure how the ratchet strap would work. I can beat it in there but can't turn it to match the down pipe. I can't turn it initially and then beat it in because the belled out side catches on the down pipe. With what i have the only way i can install it is to slide it in and then turn but the tolerance makes it turning impossible.
I think what another poster was trying to say with the ratchet strap it to pull the stock pipe toward the rear to give some room. Trying hooking it arround the fake muffler. I did it by on my back and pushed toward the back with my feet. It sounds like you got in though so did you try some lube and a strap wrench to turn it?
Old 10-20-2008, 08:46 PM

spread apart the cat back exhaust where the strap goes around the pipe. i just used a pipe and put it inside and pulled till i spread the sides of the pipe enought to get the pipe in side. I hope this made sense.

Kevin
Old 10-20-2008, 08:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

One thing to note- I've always found they install much easier by taking a hammer and lightly beating the "Lip" of the pipe on delete pipe, toward the tailpipe end, in a bit.

In other words, on the leading edge of the rear end of the delete pipe- beat lightly with a hammer all the way around.

Many times the ends come out with a slight "bell shape" from the forming and crimping, which can make it a pain to install.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanDieselTech View Post
One thing to note- I've always found they install much easier by taking a hammer and lightly beating the "Lip" of the pipe on delete pipe, toward the tailpipe end, in a bit.

In other words, on the leading edge of the rear end of the delete pipe- beat lightly with a hammer all the way around.

Many times the ends come out with a slight "bell shape" from the forming and crimping, which can make it a pain to install.
Hey Matt,
Just installed mine this last weekend. Thanks. Man this truck is SOOOO fun now!
Old 10-21-2008, 05:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

JBHT- How did you do it? I have removed the CAT and DPF without a problem. Now I have the downpipe with flange on one end and the 3-1/2" slotted female pipe with clamp on the otherside. Trying to fit powerstroker67 pipe in there has been a chore! What side do you bolt up first? Do the nipples and pressure bracket face up? Did you remove the factory muffler and tailpipes?
Old 10-21-2008, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmathews View Post
JBHT- How did you do it? I have removed the CAT and DPF without a problem. Now I have the downpipe with flange on one end and the 3-1/2" slotted female pipe with clamp on the otherside. Trying to fit powerstroker67 pipe in there has been a chore! What side do you bolt up first? Do the nipples and pressure bracket face up? Did you remove the factory muffler and tailpipes?
I had previously installed a Banks exhaust pipe, so maybe it wasn't as tight, I don't know. I pulled the rear portion toward the rear of the truck with a ratchet strap hooked to the hitch, and to the last exhaust pipe hanger near the spare tire. That gave me room to install the delete pipe. Then I unhooked the strap and pulled forward to join the pipes. If you have to, maybe you can pull forward with a strap to pull the joint together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.