Yet Another Turbo Timer Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2008, 10:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yet Another Turbo Timer Question

I have read through lots of older posts. And turbo timers are talked alot more with the 6.0l forums.

I have a Ford factory remote start on the truck. And sure, I can let it run for 15 minutes with the key off... However, that is more than needed in most cases. I would rather just install a turbo timer.

I am a handy guy. And can do most things myself. Are there any out there that others recommend. I can do a generic search at summit racing, or Jegs. But would like to know of people who have one, what it is, and does it work.

The truck in question is an 08 Lariat.

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2008, 10:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

i use the greddy turbo timer on mine
Old 10-16-2008, 11:11 AM

I dont have much experience with stand alone turbo timers, but the one that comes on the Edge Juice/Attitude works great and is easy to use. They are used to keep the truck running after you shut it off so the turbo has time to cool down. You get out and lock the doors like you normally would, but the truck keeps running until it reaches a temperature or time that you set. Dont worry, no one can steal it when its like this because it will automatically shut off when the brake pedal is touched. You can find more info on it in there manual on page 36 by following the link below. Feel free to contact me with any questions.

http://www.edgeproducts.com/product_...manual-240.pdf
Old 10-16-2008, 01:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The Edge looks nice. However, I plan to go with a Spartan Tune.

Mike
Old 10-16-2008, 01:39 PM
Let's Run'em

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TwinTurboStroker
Do you have a particular temp that you have mind to shut down the truck, cuz I can tell you how fast it will get there, you may not need a turbo timer
Old 10-16-2008, 01:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I wife, whom I love dearly.... Told me after I sold my twin turbo Audi S4.... Well, she told me to never get a turbo again. As she refuses to sit and wait for the turbos to cool down.

So, I need a turbo timer.

Mike
Old 10-16-2008, 02:29 PM
Let's Run'em

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TwinTurboStroker
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOSHOP View Post
I wife, whom I love dearly.... Told me after I sold my twin turbo Audi S4.... Well, she told me to never get a turbo again. As she refuses to sit and wait for the turbos to cool down.

So, I need a turbo timer.

Mike
Well all I was going to say is that with all the emissions off the truck gets to 400F in no time at all, which is where I shut it down......it does take about 2 to 3 minutes to get to 350 and even longer below that, but your just wasting fuel by waiting that long.......but I understand your situation
Old 10-17-2008, 06:05 AM

I used the one that The Diesel Site sells or DFuser(not sure if they are sponsors here?), I think they are the same and it works great. You set the minutes you want it to run by pressing a button you install. When you press the button it will go beep...beep...beep, and however many beeps you let it go for that is how long the truck will run. It is a pretty simple install and you can put the button where ever you want, I put mine right in front of the key to make it a one handed process. It is a pretty slick deal and glad I did it, I to was tired of waiting. Take care.
Old 10-19-2008, 03:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I ended up with the Striker timer from painless. It was not set up for an 08. But with a little info from Alldata, I was able to wire her up just fine.

Thanks for the imput from all.

Mike
Old 10-20-2008, 05:00 AM

Some of you guys are getting waaaay carried away.
A safe shutdown temp is aroung 400 degrees pre turbo, which in most cases is right where the truck is at by the time you pull inot your parking space.
If you are towing, just let the "tow/haul" do it's thing by slowing down the truck. EGTS plummet in seconds when using that thing.

I've never found a time where I need to let the truck sit and idle to cool down.
Gas engines? They NEVER produce EGTs to get hot enough to damage the bearings in the turbo, so all of that waiting that you made your wife do was pointless.

Another easy solution is to run syn oil. That almost totally removes the need to ever wait...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.