H&S tuner mileage question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2014, 06:23 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
H&S tuner mileage question

I have a 2009 6.4 crew cab short bed pickup. At stock I was getting 10.5 mpg in town. In efforts for better mpg I have deleted the dpf (not the cat) I have installed a s&b stage 2 intake and a H&S mini maxx. Running on hot damn 300 tune and driving like a grandpa. After all this I am now getting 11.2 mpg in town and 14mpg hwy. pretty pathetic for all that work. Truck drives absolutely great. It does have oversized tires but had that before the tune and other mods. Any thoughts on what else I could try? Thanks!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2014, 07:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have pretty much the same set up as you. Just bigger exhaust. I am getting about the same mileage as you, but I am not driving like a grandpa though. I really don't know what else we can do to improve mileage short of upgrading to a manual six speed, or maybe the new truck's six speed.
Gear vendors overdrive on stock power maybe, but with our setups no way. Too much torque (unless they would guarantee it ).
I hand calculate my mileage so I know its not really improving even though the dash claims it is. But I am still happy with the upgrades.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:23 AM
Hunter of Trolls

I get around 16 overall... 15.5 city, and sniff 20 on long highway runs.. I should update my fully to show details..

Here is the thing about tuning, fwiw:

If you tune a healthy rig, you can graph and expect gains within that tunes range.. if the engine and drivetrain aren't healthy, you can toss graphed expectations out the window... Tuning pushes the envelope further than oe parameters, and while doing so often exposes issues already existing that you might not have previously known about...

You should be getting better mileage than that, so, no matter how the truck runs, something is amiss.. you said it improved slightly with tuning, but not a lot.. so.. The tuning didn't expose anything.. which means its likely a hard part instead of fuel delivery..

I like puzzles.. I'll have to think on this..
Old 01-30-2014, 08:28 AM

Thanks for your time thinking on it guys. I actually have done this to both of my trucks. Both 09 models and identical in mileage etc... Both trucks have run seemingly perfect with no issues before and after tuning. Just seems like at least one of the trucks would have jumped up higher in Mpg's. I have been told to take the cat off also. Didn't really want to do that because I didn't want it to be so loud. Also some have said I need bigger exhaust. Happy to do both of those if it really is going to help. Just tired of throwing money out if anyone can think of anything else. Thanks again guys for your help.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:46 AM
Hunter of Trolls

What are your EGTs at highway speed and steady pace?
Old 01-30-2014, 09:01 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

This is the reason I have always recommended deleting for reliability and power, and accept any fuel mileage gains that may or may not come with it.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Getting ready to do the same setup, Mini Maxx, H&S, MBRP Intercooler 3" pipe and full delete(cat and dpf) to try and get better fuel mileage and reliability so I will be keeping an eye on this thread!
Old 01-30-2014, 09:30 AM

At the risk of sounding stupid. How do I find the egt's on my mini maxx? I don't see "egt" anywhere.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:04 AM
Hunter of Trolls

I think its pyro one..
Old 01-30-2014, 10:05 AM

Excellent. I will look at this here in a bit or this evening and report back. Thanks man

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.