FUEL RAIL PRESURE - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2008, 04:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
FUEL RAIL PRESURE

whats everyones fuel pail presure @ idle, Scott said it should be around 5500-5600 psi. Mine stays in the 5000 psi range and then this morning I noticed it jumping between 5500-5700 psi then it fell off to 5000 again my mileage with the spartan tuner is off by 2-3 mpg verse what most of you guys are posting and was wondering if this may have something to do with it. My truck is a 250 c/c lwb with a delete pipe tuner and intake and around town i'm seeing 12.6 to 13 mpg. I'm heading down to VA. friday so i'll get some good highway numbers.

Darrell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2008, 06:37 AM
Banned

I see right around 5200 psi at idle. There are a lot of factors that could influence the mileage you are getting - Driving style, tire pressure, driving conditions, altitude, cat. converter (on or off), which spartan tune you are running, etc. On an average I would think you should get better than 13 if you are running stock tires and the spartan 210/250 tune. If I take her easy i can get 15 around town with some rather large tires on my truck.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:59 PM
Emergency Services

Are your fuel rail pressures constant at idle? Mine seems to flutter between 4900> and <5200 . Just wondering if this is normal? Truck runs great other than at idle with the a AC on it like it misses once in a while.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:26 PM

Mine surges as well. Loaded the 275 tune yesterday and it didn't do it until this morning. Seems to do it when it is colder. It didn't do it when I drove home today and it was about 55 degrees. I never had this issue with the 250, but I will keep watching to see what this may be.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:08 AM

I'm gonna bring this to spartan's website and see if we can get some help.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:50 AM

I think the issue might be with the EGR valve. I notice what feels like a slight miss at idle whenever the EGR valve opens or closes. I also think that the EGR valve opening and closing may be what is making the engine feel like it is surging under moderate (15-30psi) boost conditions. I would like to see Spartan or SCT disable the EGR system and just leave the valve closed. Sure would help with EGT's.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:09 AM

My egr is disabled. I had my truck out in colorado at elite diesel. They replaced both turbos, injectors, egr delete kit, and wastegate. Still, fuel rail pressure surges.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mine moves around a little, but does not affect driving at all. There are tons of things that can make this different between trucks...intake, amount of oil on filter if its oiled....cover on or off your intake, exhaust mods...tons of things.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

mine moves too, does not look like its surging though
Old 10-19-2008, 03:24 PM

I agree with pahrump. Mine doesn't do it all the time. Only when it's cold outside. Doesn't affect wot at all. I can feel it if driving around town going up hills. Fuel rail pressure fluctuates about 2000 psi. Truck kind of gets sluggish. Once the temp outside warms up it seems to stop. Doesn't really bother me that much because when I really get on it it does what it needs to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.