Dyno Issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2008, 07:56 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dyno Issues

So i put my truck on the dyno. Its an 08 250 with the spartan 250 calibration.

This is the first time i put an vehicle on a dyno and we had nothing but problems from the get go. They couldn't get a strong tach signal so they said they wouldn't be able to get the torque readings. Then the problems began. I couldn't build boost because they said the dyno didn't have enough resistance. Then when i did my runs, it was like the blow off vavle was opening and closing quickly causing an almost chirping sound. Has this happened to anyone? One of the guys said it might be like the new Audi's with the speed sensors on all the wheels where if the front wheels don't turn, it cuts boost.

Anyone ever heard of this happening? Cause i was only able to make 21 pounds of boost and put down a 360hp run....which surely can't be right. Yet on the street i can make about 36 pounds of boost and there is NO chirping. We pretty much ruled out tire spin cause they looked at the graph and there were no spikes where the wheels would be spinning.

Any help would be great cause i want to put it back on and see what it does before i start tearing into it to make power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2008, 08:01 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

sounds to me like the dyno wasnt a dyno that could be loaded , if nit it wont create boost and you wasted your time, any turbo vehicle has to have load to create boost , that was probably the situation, the nise may have been the engine getting into the rev limiter
Old 10-09-2008, 08:06 AM
Cynic

Yep. No real load. 21psi seems awfully low.

AS for the graph, 6.4's are pretty flat due to the twin's. A 7.3, 6.0, and 6.4 will all look different.

Spikes on a 6.4 would tell me that they allowed the truck to downshift.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:19 AM

I didn't even keep the graph cause it was all over the place and we had nothing consitant. I was most concerned with the chirping that we got when we layed into it. Seemed really strange. I don't recall if it did it at higher RPM's or if it was all the way through. I am going to check other places out to see if they can load their dyno.

Thanks for the info and hopefully i will be able to post some good news in the near future.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:59 PM

Well, i am booked in for 2pm on friday so hopefully i will have some better results at this new place. They told me they could load the dyno down enough to stop my engine so this should be a better run.

Keeping my fingers crossed
Old 10-10-2008, 07:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

what kind of dyno was this? I am about to take my truck to the dyno but do not want this to happen to me.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

where is a good place that has a dyno? I am in Charlotte, NC.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:09 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
where is a good place that has a dyno? I am in Charlotte, NC.
there is a guy in mooresville i think that has one that wil do diesels, i cant think of his name , he does cars too, google dynos and mooresville
Old 10-10-2008, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoMoCoBros View Post
Well, i am booked in for 2pm on friday so hopefully i will have some better results at this new place. They told me they could load the dyno down enough to stop my engine so this should be a better run.

Keeping my fingers crossed
Well, i put the truck on this new dyno and it made 385hp and 583tq but they said there is about a 35% loss at the rear wheels...does this sound right to anyone? Like i said, this is the first unit i put on the dyno. If that is correct, would it not be around 520hp and around 790tq ? The only problem i was having was that i wasn't making max boost before my EGT's got too high and we didn't have time to play around witht he load on the dyno.This is the dyno they used:

Performance Plus - turbo and supercharger superstore!

P.S. I don't hae the dyno result sheets because my wife called on the second pull and i was SUPPOSED to be at work. So i will go back next week and see if i can pick them up to post them.

Last edited by FoMoCoBros; 10-10-2008 at 04:40 PM. Reason: forgot vital info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.